MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

They also can't be paralyzed into no action with a $30MM-$50MM gap in revenue.
Oh yes you’re right but the issue is I’m not sure there are any teams out there that bringing them on actually add money to what ESPN would be willing to pay for another team beyond the obvious of Notre Dame. Just look at the shares right now in the big 12 and what Washington and Oregon are getting they’re all below the ACC deal as it currently sad and we all know it sucks.

Advertisement
Thinking the Big 12 is waiting for ACC teams to make a move. They have WVU in the east and UCF in Florida. I’d bet they’d love to expand into ACC territory after FSU, Clemson, UNC, and hopefully Miami bolt. They know they won’t get those teams. State political pressure not withstanding adding 2-4 former mid-ACC teams plus Stanford and Cal puts them at 24 (22?).

Last edited:
People did move away from cable.....me included now if you want to say it's was not as much as some expected that's fine but YouTube tv and Hulu live TV is not cable it's streaming. In my opinion I think the only reason most people stuck with cable was convenience and the unknown.
Youtube TV (which I have) is the same thing as cable just with different way of getting it to you. No one has Cable and Youtube TV, but there are people that have Cable and Netflix/Hulu (the non-tv replacement version)/Disney+/etc or Youtube TV and those streaming services.

But semantics aside, my point was that the ACC thought people would be moving from services that bundle channels (cable, satellite, FIOS, YoutubeTV) and replacing them with Netflix/similar. When the ACC signed the last deal, YoutubeTV hadn't even been announced yet.

And whether people moved away from channel bundling altogether or just shifted from Cable to things like Youtube TV, the ACC failed to realize that sports would be worth more b/c it helps anchor people to channel bundling. If it wasnt for sports, I would almost certainly not have Youtube TV.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t really care about being a bull in a China shop like FSU vs operating in silence like we have been, but it is concerning that the tea leaves seem to be telling a different story in recent weeks from non-Miami people. I hope the Pac12 teams didn’t throw a wrench in the plans, hope FSU being the squeaky wheel didn’t push things elsewhere, but the reality is until we make an announcement, it is tenuous and open to change.

One thing I will say with FSU in particular, and this is from an entirely uninformed standpoint on whether they are talking to the B10, is I would be shocked if teams negotiating with conferences didn’t have mutual NDAs to prevent exactly what FSU is doing. But maybe it really is the Wild West at this point

Or just say **** it, and drop down to the AAC. Reunite with Temple and East Carolina, start up a hometown rivalry with FAU.

#sarcasm
We owe Temple for giving us Al and then returning Manny to us. We owe East Carolina twice-over. We owe F(I)U. Add MTSU and Louisiana Tech and call it the revenge tour. Leggo.

Advertisement
I don’t really care about being a bull in a China shop like FSU vs operating in silence like we have been, but it is concerning that the tea leaves seem to be telling a different story in recent weeks from non-Miami people. I hope the Pac12 teams didn’t throw a wrench in the plans, hope FSU being the squeaky wheel didn’t push things elsewhere, but the reality is until we make an announcement, it is tenuous and open to change.

One thing I will say with FSU in particular, and this is from an entirely uninformed standpoint on whether they are talking to the B10, is I would be shocked if teams negotiating with conferences didn’t have mutual NDAs to prevent exactly what FSU is doing. But maybe it really is the Wild West at this point

I agree that I don’t much care about the difference. I also wonder if it was a team other than FSU, if the Miami information reaction would be different…

Advertisement
Genetics dude on Twitter is connected in the BIG10, not the SEC.

The SEC is the one that can change all this, when they make their move - and I don't doubt they will make a move. All this talk about the BIG10 moving to 24 to build their national conference. But most of these assumptions are that ESPN will basically just lay down and die, and that the SEC won't protect their region. The BIG10 has their plan for Southeast expansion. But plans change when you get punched in the mouth, and for some reason people expect the SEC to not throw any punches.

SEC could just as easily go for Us, FSU, Clemson, and UNC (ESPN paying an additional like $30-60M/school) by offering us all full shares, then even possibly offer half shares to Virginia schools, GTech,NCSt, etc (which would be ESPN paying basically the same or slightly less than they currently pay those schools) and completely shut the Big10 out of the South East forever. Then ESPN could just drop the rest of the ACC schools. Let them go wherever they want, and tell the Big12 they're (ESPN) not going to pay $20M/school for any further additions since they aren't contractually obligated to do so. I really don't see why that is viewed as an impossible move for the SEC to make, yet it's so likely for the BIG10 to essentially make the same move.

ESPN and Disney aren't broke. And while they did fire hella people, these hosts aren't exactly irreplaceable. Meanwhile CFB actually makes them money.

Oh I’m sure he’s connected to some people. But he’s been acting like he knows what’s going to happen on a predictive level, when he never did and never will. His last point (schools don’t decide the networks do) belies every single time he’s acted like he knows what will happen.

There are people on this board that likely have a similar level of access, at least as it relates to UM’s plans. And they’ll tell you they have at best an idea of what will happen. Impossible to know more.

To me, when you inflate the piece of info you were given with a whole bunch of hot air, you don’t know anything at all. And if you can’t tell the difference between someone who thinks they know and one who actually does, you also don’t know anything.
Not sure if this is directed at me or not. But it’s an oversimplification to put down anyone simply because they believe Genetics provides valuable information. Discount his information. Disregard it entirely, if you want. But just because others find it helpful in trying to decipher what the University is doing seems unfair and borderline pompous.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back