MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Advertisement
This feels like it's going to he a disaster and lead to the dissolution of the conference (or at the very least, infighting) quicker than expected. Do any other conferences have this sort of model in place?
The Big12 did it with Texas getting more (I am not sure if OU did too) and that partially lead to Texas A&M leaving and then eventually UT and OU left anyway. Not that I think this will make a difference, but I think this is the first time a league is doing it based on achievement instead of something like 'Clemson and FSU get more b/c they are bigger brands'

I can tell you don’t go to games.

I don't live in Florida anymore, so you are correct. Last game I went to was UVA-UM 2017. Great game. Took the whole family. However, I have a nice wide screen television and I didn't miss a game on TV up until game 5 of the Cristobal era (for games I couldn't watch live, I'd record all the games and would even watch the losses to see where we were failing). Cristobal managed to do something unprecedented and make UM football completely unwatchable. Tried to watch the replay of the MTSU game and it made me physically sick. I can't remember the last time I saw any team with as big a talent gap as UM had over MTSU get so thoroughly dominated and embarrassed. Cristobal should have donated his game check to charity because he sure as h#ll didn't earn it.

Last edited:
I don't live in Florida anymore, so you are correct. Last game I went to was UVA-UM 2017. Great game. Took the whole family. However, I have a nice wide screen television and I didn't miss a game on TV up until game 5 of the Cristobal era (for games I couldn't watch live, I'd record all the games and would even watch the losses to where we were failing). Cristobal managed to do something unprecedented and make UM football completely unwatchable. Tried to watch the replay of the MTSU game and it made me physically sick. I can't remember the last time I saw any team with as big a talent gap as UM had over MTSU get so thoroughly dominated and embarrassed. Cristobal should have donated his game check to charity because he sure as h#ll didn't earn it.

That’s all fine and well, but it has nothing to do with your original statement that I responded to.

I don't live in Florida anymore, so you are correct. Last game I went to was UVA-UM 2017. Great game. Took the whole family. However, I have a nice wide screen television and I didn't miss a game on TV up until game 5 of the Cristobal era (for games I couldn't watch live, I'd record all the games and would even watch the losses to where we were failing). Cristobal managed to do something unprecedented and make UM football completely unwatchable. Tried to watch the replay of the MTSU game and it made me physically sick. I can't remember the last time I saw any team with as big a talent gap as UM had over MTSU get so thoroughly dominated and embarrassed. Cristobal should have donated his game check to charity because he sure as h#ll didn't earn it.

You just wrote a lot of words to try to deflect away from the fact that what you wrote about Miami home crowds was incorrect, idiotic, and troll-worthy. And if you truly watch Miami games on your "nice wide-screen TV" then you would know better too.

Which just makes you a disingenuous anti-Miami troll and I've no idea why the powers that be are putting up with this nonsense. Selective enforcement I guess.

Advertisement
Having seen none of the contract language, I’d think the ACC needs to be dissolved. I’d think that’s easier than challenging the validity of a contract that sophisticated parties agreed to. Sure there are legal arguments theoretically but I wouldn’t fee comfortable banking on that.

If this GOR really is what ESPN claims - not saying it is - but if they own the tv rights to home games regardless… then wow. What a disaster for the schools who agreed to the deal.

If they own the TV rights to home games, even if the ACC disbanded, then maybe it's a semantics argument and smart lawyers could find a way around it. Lets say the ACC has a rule that says all teams must have 6 home games and 6 away games (I don't know if this is mandatory or voluntarily). Now the ACC votes to disband and ESPN says it still owns rights to all home games. Then the B1G invites UM but with the caveat that all games for UM will be considered "away" games. ESPN gets nothing. Sure they will sue, but after 3 years or so of getting nothing, they'll probably consider settling. However, as much as I like the B1G for UM, it might be a lot easier through the SEC since ESPN already owns the deal. They want the tv revenue from UM home games, I think they'd be open to finding a way of modifying the deal so it works with the SEC contract.

If they own the TV rights to home games, even if the ACC disbanded, then maybe it's a semantics argument and smart lawyers could find a way around it. Lets say the ACC has a rule that says all teams must have 6 home games and 6 away games (I don't know if this is mandatory or voluntarily). Now the ACC votes to disband and ESPN says it still owns rights to all home games. Then the B1G invites UM but with the caveat that all games for UM will be considered "away" games. ESPN gets nothing. Sure they will sue, but after 3 years or so of getting nothing, they'll probably consider settling. However, as much as I like the B1G for UM, it might be a lot easier through the SEC since ESPN already owns the deal. They want the tv revenue from UM home games, I think they'd be open to finding a way of modifying the deal so it works with the SEC contract.

You’ve got so many incorrect and off base components in this post I can’t tell if you’re trolling or illiterate to the business world

You’ve got so many incorrect and off base components in this post I can’t tell if you’re trolling or illiterate to the business world

Just throwing out ideas. When Westlaw buys CIS, let me know and I'll make sure my legal analysis is on point. I'm piecing this together based on what others have said here- I wasn't aware of ESPN owning home games even if the ACC disbands until @RVACane pointed that out. As far as I know, that hadn't come up in discussions here earlier. And if you want to talk business world, the reality is that UM and the ACC screwed themselves with a horrible deal (which Rad had a part in, so he bears a lot of blame), the only way out of it is going to be finding a legal loophole. If we don't find a legal loophole, the ACC is going to end competing with AAC for the title of 4th or 5th best conference in around 5-6 years because by then the total revenue gap between the B1G/SEC teams and everyone else will be in the hundreds of millions.

Last edited:
IMG_7250.png

Advertisement
I am sorry, but this headline is misleading at best. Do strong ACC teams draw more than mediocre BIG10? Yes. Do strong Big10 teams significantly outdraw strong ACC teams? Yes.

First, let's exclude ND since it is not in the ACC or Big10. With that out of the way:

- The top ACC team is 4th in ratings and is only 56% and 69% of the top 2 teams in the Big10.
- Out of the top 10 teams, 8 are in the Big10
- Out of the top 14 teams 11 are in the Big10
- The 2nd place ACC team (FSU) is behind 6 Big10 schools and draws 35%, 43% and 63% of the top 3 Big10 schools
- The 3rd place ACC team (Miami) is behind 8 Big10 schools and draws 27%, 32% and 43% of the top Big10 schools (we rank behind Iowa 😐)

This headline should really be updated to Clemson's ratings would put it in the upper 25% of Big10 ratings.

Unfortunately this is facts.. smfh :snoopfacepalm:

Advertisement
I am sorry, but this headline is misleading at best. Do strong ACC teams draw more than mediocre BIG10? Yes. Do strong Big10 teams significantly outdraw strong ACC teams? Yes.

First, let's exclude ND since it is not in the ACC or Big10. With that out of the way:

- The top ACC team is 4th in ratings and is only 56% and 69% of the top 2 teams in the Big10.
- Out of the top 10 teams, 8 are in the Big10
- Out of the top 14 teams 11 are in the Big10
- The 2nd place ACC team (FSU) is behind 6 Big10 schools and draws 35%, 43% and 63% of the top 3 Big10 schools
- The 3rd place ACC team (Miami) is behind 8 Big10 schools and draws 27%, 32% and 43% of the top Big10 schools (we rank behind Iowa 😐)

This headline should really be updated to Clemson's ratings would put it in the upper 25% of Big10 ratings.

Miami, Clemson, and FSU each play at least 4 of the bottom 10 teams on that list every season.
Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State each play 1.

Miami, Clemson, and FSU each play at least 4 of the bottom 10 teams on that list every season.
Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State each play 1.
There is no question that every team in ACC would have their ratings go up if they joined the Big10, but it doesn't change what their current ratings are. I am not arguing brand value (where Clemson, FSU, Miami and others have legitimate beef), but that article (at least by the headline) seems to suggest that top tier ACC teams are bringing in similar ratings, but really besides Clemson, that isn't true.

I even thought about us playing games at FIU Field and calling at a neutral site.

Advertisement
Back