MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
You do realize that a huge part of why the deal looks so bad is because we removed the possibility of renegotiating for FMV for two decades? The SEC and Big10 have done what they have done because their TV contracts made them desirable landing spots for the top teams in conference reorg. But the ACC fell so far behind because in 2030 (if it still existed) it would still be stuck in 2016’s FMV.
Yes, exactly.

You do realize that a huge part of why the deal looks so bad is because we removed the possibility of renegotiating for FMV for two decades? The SEC and Big10 have done what they have done because their TV contracts made them desirable landing spots for the top teams in conference reorg. But the ACC fell so far behind because in 2030 (if it still existed) it would still be stuck in 2016’s FMV.
This is the biggest and almost exclusive issue. The inability to go to the market after a comparable cycle knee caps the league. If they entered into it out of fear that their league would lose value over the life of the contract, they made a classic mistake of negations and also managed to devalue their own product exponentially. Truly breathtaking.

Hmmm, I hope you're right, but I doubt it. ND was on a 9-0 run to start the season, top 10 match up, and rivalry game. Texas A&M will after 1 game against Miami of Ohio (Canes coming off of a 5-7 season the year before), against another disappointing team from last year, and not a rivalry game.

Hate to be Donny Downer, but find it EXTREMELY hard to think this TAMU game will be anywhere similar to that ND game, but again, I hope you're right.
Were you at the Va Tech game the week before ND? 60,000+ and a mad house. Fans will show if they are important games and the Canes are fighting. Show up like they did against MTSU and fans will leave at half time. I believe this season is different.

This is the entire and almost exclusive issue. The inability to go to the market after a comparable cycle knee caps the league. If they entered into it out of fear that their league would lose value over the life of the contract, they made a classic mistake of negations and also managed to devalue their own product exponentially. Truly breathtaking.
The fact is they had a hard-on for getting an "ACC Network" to match up with the Big 10, SEC, PAC 12, and even the Longhorn Network. They wanted it so bad to the point of agreeing to lock into 20 years of a contract to get the network started. Like you said, classic mistake of looking at one short-term goal at the expense of the long-term financial health of the conference overall. This should be a case study of bad negotiating strategy in business schools for years to come.

Advertisement
This is the entire and almost exclusive issue. The inability to go to the market after a comparable cycle knee caps the league. If they entered into it out of fear that their league would lose value over the life of the contract, they made a classic mistake of negations and also managed to devalue their own product exponentially. Truly breathtaking.
I’d say there were about five, with that being the largest. In no order, the others were overvaluing the ACCN when those were going by the wayside, the ACCN rollout and carrier negotiations, Tobacco Road prioritizing basketball over football, lack of vision in expansion. I had hope with the new commish but I think this guy may be worse.

Were you at the Va Tech game the week before ND? 60,000+ and a mad house. Fans will show if they are important games and the Canes are fighting. Show up like they did against MTSU and fans will leave at half time. I believe this season is different.
Yes, I was. Again, 8-0 at that point. I would be more optimistic for huge ticket sales if this game was in late October or November and we see the Canes on a roll of wins. Being the 2nd game of the year with no real momentum going into the game, I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I expect at least in the mid 50k range, but 65K+ bursting at the seams full of rabid fans? Not yet.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I've lived down here my whole life. This is an event-driven town and aside from classic rivalries, teams have to show they are worthy of it being an event to sell tickets. Tough to see the Canes doing that by game 2.

I’d say there were about five, with that being the largest. In no order, the others were overvaluing the ACCN when those were going by the wayside, the ACCN rollout and carrier negotiations, Tobacco Road prioritizing basketball over football, lack of vision in expansion. I had hope with the new commish but I think this guy may be worse.
Very true, and it is scary to think about.

Frankly, at this point, the ACC is either going to die out in a flash or in a slow, protracted death in the next 5 - 7 years. If I was in his shoes, I would seriously contemplate a last-ditch, do-or-die, hail mary kind of strategy which starts with telling ND this summer that they have until the end of this football season to determine if they want the ACC to stay as a going concern by joining in all sports or the ACC is going to have to drop them in all other sports because the ACC cannot continue to exist in this situation. Again, total desperation move, but you've got nothing else left to lose. Remind them of the benefits the ACC has provided them over the years - especially allowing them to compete as a full member in 2020. Most likely, ND breaks off and re-joins the BE for all sports except football or goes the Big 10 route. If by miracle they decide to stay, great. The TV deal can they get renegotiated and a 16th team can be wooed.

In the fall, determine which 2 non-Big 10/SEC teams would bring the most value to the ACC (initial guess would be Baylor and Ok State - maybe Oregon & Washington). If ND bolts, sign both schools as full members and renegotiate the TV deal. I would think the ACC's traditional powers along with new members would elicit a bigger deal than the Big 12 at least. Even that would still probably not be enough, but if you're the ACC Commissioner and want to keep the ACC as a going concern, you've got to do something.

Yes, I was. Again, 8-0 at that point. I would be more optimistic for huge ticket sales if this game was in late October or November and we see the Canes on a roll of wins. Being the 2nd game of the year with no real momentum going into the game, I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I expect at least in the mid 50k range, but 65K+ bursting at the seams full of rabid fans? Not yet.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I've lived down here my whole life. This is an event-driven town and aside from classic rivalries, teams have to show they are worthy of it being an event to sell tickets. Tough to see the Canes doing that by game 2.

It will be 95-110% sold out (the last 10% representing unmet demand) even though both teams had losing records last year. I'm betting it will be prime time and nationally televised as well. Count on it, and hold me to it for fun.

Advertisement
This is the biggest and almost exclusive issue. The inability to go to the market after a comparable cycle knee caps the league. If they entered into it out of fear that their league would lose value over the life of the contract, they made a classic mistake of negations and also managed to devalue their own product exponentially. Truly breathtaking.
It's been widely reported that the contract with espn has three separate “look-in” periods -- essentially resets to FMV.

knowledge here is very poor

It will be 95-110% sold out (the last 10% representing unmet demand) even though both teams had losing records last year. I'm betting it will be prime time and nationally televised as well. Count on it, and hold me to it for fun.

Very true, and it is scary to think about.

Frankly, at this point, the ACC is either going to die out in a flash or in a slow, protracted death in the next 5 - 7 years. If I was in his shoes, I would seriously contemplate a last-ditch, do-or-die, hail mary kind of strategy which starts with telling ND this summer that they have until the end of this football season to determine if they want the ACC to stay as a going concern by joining in all sports or the ACC is going to have to drop them in all other sports because the ACC cannot continue to exist in this situation. Again, total desperation move, but you've got nothing else left to lose. Remind them of the benefits the ACC has provided them over the years - especially allowing them to compete as a full member in 2020. Most likely, ND breaks off and re-joins the BE for all sports except football or goes the Big 10 route. If by miracle they decide to stay, great. The TV deal can they get renegotiated and a 16th team can be wooed.

In the fall, determine which 2 non-Big 10/SEC teams would bring the most value to the ACC (initial guess would be Baylor and Ok State - maybe Oregon & Washington). If ND bolts, sign both schools as full members and renegotiate the TV deal. I would think the ACC's traditional powers along with new members would elicit a bigger deal than the Big 12 at least. Even that would still probably not be enough, but if you're the ACC Commissioner and want to keep the ACC as a going concern, you've got to do something.
Baylor and Ok State would be miserable additions both economically and athletically. #DoBetter

Advertisement
It's been widely reported that the contract with espn has three separate “look-in” periods -- essentially resets to FMV.

I’m not sure you know what it means or what obligations it creates. It sets three periods where the parties will sit back down to look at what tweaks both parties want to make to the agreement. It does NOT force ESPN to renegotiate, alter its terms, reset to FMV or anything of the sort. I suggest you research what it means before being condescending, and the fact that you thought it did what you thought is laughable. The first look in was in 2021. Did the ACC’s payouts suddenly rise to the SEC or Big10 level?

Baylor and Ok State would be miserable additions both economically and athletically. #DoBetter
Than do better for me. You're not going to get a Big 10 or SEC team to move, who do you get that is better from a football perspective and new markets?

I’m not sure you know what it means or what obligations it creates. It sets three periods where the parties will sit back down to look at what tweaks both parties want to make to the agreement. It does NOT force ESPN to renegotiate, alter its terms, reset to FMV or anything of the sort. I suggest you research what it means before being condescending, and the fact that you thought it did what you thought is laughable. The first look in was in 2021. Did the ACC’s payouts suddenly rise to the SEC or Big10 level?
To be fair, the Big 10 and SEC "levels" won't be seen for another couple of years. That being said, even with the look-in, we won't be close.

Advertisement
To be fair, the Big 10 and SEC "levels" won't be seen for another couple of years. That being said, even with the look-in, we won't be close.
The point is the look in just sets times for the ACC and ESPN to talk. It does not force either to amend. They can sit down and ESPN can (and would) say they are not changing the finances and that’s the end of the discussion. Those levels won’t be reached because the ACC is not a good product, has zero leverage, and can’t go to the open market for another 13 years.

The Big Ten commish's ***** up is bad, and it sounds like he left the new commish a ****show. It's not nearly as bad as Swofford's sweetheart deal.
Also, don't understand why Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan are *****ing about playing prime-time games in November.

That’s not at all correct but thanks for taking your title back of most ignorant commenter in this thread.
but go ahead redeem yourself - since it’s been “widely reported” please find even two distinct respected reports from the widely reported reporters that even remotely comes to a full reset and fair market value and share them here.

hmm you mean like 2021 version that did nothing to stem the gap?

there may be a slight tweak here or there but theres not remotely a reset period, in the way you’re trying to spout off on

Advertisement
Back