MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
This is where I have my doubts. If everyone can get out, why not do it? We all know the ACC is doomed. No way of saving it. There’s gotta be a reason why they don’t vote to dissolve the conference beyond what we know.

Bro it was said in here multiple times by multiple different people

The vote to dissolve won’t officially happen until all 8 voting schools have their new conferences agreed to

Confirms my stance on espn not caring about acc

It's not that they don't care about the ACC, it's that they care to make lots of money and the current contract allows them to do so. I am sure in their opinion it is still more valuable to keep the deal how it is b/c they currently hold all of the leverage. At some point they may decide it is worth renegotiating to keep the league competitive, but the clearly do not think that time is now.

Advertisement
Pretty sure someone may have suggested it. But whats the possiblity of the ACC desolving, getting out of the GOR, then try to reform with a 20 team league, force ND hand and invite Oregon and Washington, maybe try to get into Texas? If they desolve they have to have some ability to Entice atleast 1 Texas school like Baylor or TT. Then try to see what kinda TV money they can get from that. I prefer to say f it and head to a stable conference like the BIG but whats the possibility of a bigger reformed ACC, it would entice the hold outs to dissolve the GOR.
LOL at a "restructuring ACC" to "force ND's hand". They can do the same deal with the Big 10 that they have with the ACC for more money .. or simply join the Big 10 or SEC. They can pick and choose.

Advertisement
LOL at a "restructuring ACC" to "force ND's hand". They can do the same deal with the Big 10 that they have with the ACC for more money .. or simply join the Big 10 or SEC. They can pick and choose.
This is partially true. The ACC doesn't have any leverage to get ND to join b/c ND can make more money on their own, but theagreement with ND says that ND cannot join any league except the ACC until the current GOR of rights expires so they can't get more money joining the BIG10.

"Notre Dame's partial membership with the ACC requires to the Irish to join that conference in football if it joins a league before 2036, which is when the ACC's grant of rights expires."

Perhaps they have an easier out than the other schools in the league, but if so I haven't seen that reported.

Its probably been discussed in this thread, if they can vote to dissolve the conference at that point, why not just do it now? You'd think they could al find better value elsewhere. Does a vote need to be unanimous?

In addition to the 7 being discussed, Louisville, Duke, Pitt, and Syracuse would definitely have value to other conferences. A media market argument could probably be made for GT too. BIG12?

I guess that still leaves Wake and BC. So maybe they'd be the holdouts?
I’m under the assumption that 8 is needed to dissolve the conference but I don’t know that or if there’s any poison pill at this point. If it’s 8, I’d think we’d be good if there’s no other clause that makes it infeasible.

Last edited:
Didnt say shyyt about restructure TO force ND hand, i said restructure , force their hand. Meaning they have to make a choice. They can make a choice, we give them a landing to not have to. We CAN force their hand. We can get more money of they joined the league in football. They dont want to, fine. Bring in 5 more teams and expand to 20. Invite Oregon, Washington and teams from Texas, even others from California. **** invite Colorado. ND is not helping us get a better TV contract. So why tf should we continue with our association and be a home for their other sports which drive no revenue.

Bro it was said in here multiple times by multiple different people

The vote to dissolve won’t officially happen until all 8 voting schools have their new conferences agreed to
Has it? I feel like people are speaking as if the SEC and BIG are dying to have some of these schools that are said to be valuable. While I do think some ACC schools could bring value to these conferences, it seems like we want to be one of them more than they want some of us, at least for now. That’s just an opinion. I think if both sides really wanted to get this done, they’d get it done. Maybe they are working to get it done behind closed doors. It seems that way based on the damage control language used by the AD’s. “We’re going to do what’s best for Clemson”. Well what’s best for Clemson isn’t being part of a crappy TV deal.

Advertisement
This is partially true. The ACC doesn't have any leverage to get ND to join b/c ND can make more money on their own, but theagreement with ND says that ND cannot join any league except the ACC until the current GOR of rights expires so they can't get more money joining the BIG10.

"Notre Dame's partial membership with the ACC requires to the Irish to join that conference in football if it joins a league before 2036, which is when the ACC's grant of rights expires."

Perhaps they have an easier out than the other schools in the league, but if so I haven't seen that reported.

Interesting, I had not heard of that Clause

Didnt say shyyt about restructure TO force ND hand, i said restructure , force their hand. Meaning they have to make a choice. They can make a choice, we give them a landing to not have to. We CAN force their hand. We can get more money of they joined the league in football. They dont want to, fine. Bring in 5 more teams and expand to 20. Invite Oregon, Washington and teams from Texas, even others from California. **** invite Colorado. ND is not helping us get a better TV contract. So why tf should we continue with our association and be a home for their other sports which drive no revenue.

Should have never done a deal with the devil (nd)

Advertisement
Interesting, I had not heard of that Clause
I saw an article from before the playoff expansion was finalized suggesting this is also why the other conferences would not force ND to be in a conference to be part of the playoffs as it would force them into the ACC and make the ACC stronger. Not sure how true that was vs just that person's opinion, but it is an interesting take.

Has it? I feel like people are speaking as if the SEC and BIG are dying to have some of these schools that are said to be valuable. While I do think some ACC schools could bring value to these conferences, it seems like we want to be one of them more than they want some of us, at least for now. That’s just an opinion. I think if both sides really wanted to get this done, they’d get it done. Maybe they are working to get it done behind closed doors. It seems that way based on the damage control language used by the AD’s. “We’re going to do what’s best for Clemson”. Well what’s best for Clemson isn’t being part of a crappy TV deal.

Oh my god, your "opinions" are ponderous.

Seriously, you use words and phrases that dopey people use. "I think if both sides really wanted to get this done". Good lord. The ACC schools are UNDER CONTRACT. There won't be any "getting this done" until we break the ACC deal.

What about that do you not understand?

Nobody...ON ANY SIDE...can publicly express their true feelings and intentions.

Just go to sleep for a few months, and we'll wake you up when everything is done.

Well I would say that MD does have a very fertile recruiting base, the DMV which all the top programs commit resources to, including UM recently. Adding MD helps the B1G there. It's also a big flagship state school that fits the B1G profile, with a "decent" football history. When they were admitted to the B1G their football was on an upswing under Ralph Friedgen, getting ranked a lot and beating other ranked teams left and right, and winning the ACC in 2001. And their basketball program is historically good and this was at a time when conferences valued basketball in the equation a lot more than they do now. Maryland sold high. Smart. I wouldn't say the B1G has regrets, that's presumptuous, but I think its fair to say they haven't gotten the ROI from MD that they thought they would.

Rutgers is weird. And I agree an outlier. They are adjacent to the top media market in the western hemisphere, which is interesting in itself, but IMO not enough. I think the kicker is that the B1G has a massive amount of alumni in the NYC area. In fact, PSU and MICH are ranked #1 and #2 as far as number of alumni in the NYC among P5 schools. And obviously OSU, Wisconsin, etc. have a ton too. As far as fandom, Michigan, Penn State, Syracuse, Ohio State and Rutgers are the five most popular schools of CFB fans located in NYC. B1G has 4 of the top 5 with Rutgers alone. Plus more. So yeah, NYC is B1G country when compared to any other conference.

Adding Rutgers was a combination of serving the alumni, and cementing their foothold in the #1 media market in the world, where the media is located too. Other cities are cities, but they don't have the overwhelming weight of the NYC market to change the equation.

This is all just my opinion, but I think the marketplace supports it.
Rutgers was also an easy way to give their alumni base in the nyc area an easy change to see their team play in person

Advertisement
Back