MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Pretty sure someone may have suggested it. But whats the possiblity of the ACC desolving, getting out of the GOR, then try to reform with a 20 team league, force ND hand and invite Oregon and Washington, maybe try to get into Texas? If they desolve they have to have some ability to Entice atleast 1 Texas school like Baylor or TT. Then try to see what kinda TV money they can get from that. I prefer to say f it and head to a stable conference like the BIG but whats the possibility of a bigger reformed ACC, it would entice the hold outs to dissolve the GOR.
The fact that the ACC has failed to expand is proof it will collapse. Notre Dame was the only hope for survival. Nothing they could do to get them on board. No point in expanding without ND. They might as well just blow the whole thing up if they can. It seems like the best option.

All the recent statements from the AD's reads more like lip service because after meeting they don't see really any other realistic options. Seems like we're ****ed.
I agree it's lip service but I think it could be b/c either they don't see any other options (like you said) or they are working behind the scenes and aren't going to come out and publicly say 'yeah, we are looking at ways to dissolve the conference', 'looking for loopholes', etc. Hopefully it is not the former.

But did Rutgers and Maryland have folks in NYC/DC areas watching? Were either committed to athletics? Is recruiting anything special in these areas? Seems like locations being in big cities is what their biggest selling point was. Just curious to know why the same doesn’t apply to BC or Pittsburgh. While I don’t consider either university to be a “football” school, they have a much better history on the field than Rutgers or Maryland. Come to think of it, I can’t think of any notable players to come out of Rutgers or Maryland off the top of my head. BC had Matt Ryan. Pitt produced Aaron Donald and Darrell Revis in the last 15 years. Donald is first ballot NFL HOF. Revis might get a gold jacket some day. Oh yeah and Larry Fitzgerald. Lots of great players have played for Pittsburgh.

Well I would say that MD does have a very fertile recruiting base, the DMV which all the top programs commit resources to, including UM recently. Adding MD helps the B1G there. It's also a big flagship state school that fits the B1G profile, with a "decent" football history. When they were admitted to the B1G their football was on an upswing under Ralph Friedgen, getting ranked a lot and beating other ranked teams left and right, and winning the ACC in 2001. And their basketball program is historically good and this was at a time when conferences valued basketball in the equation a lot more than they do now. Maryland sold high. Smart. I wouldn't say the B1G has regrets, that's presumptuous, but I think its fair to say they haven't gotten the ROI from MD that they thought they would.

Rutgers is weird. And I agree an outlier. They are adjacent to the top media market in the western hemisphere, which is interesting in itself, but IMO not enough. I think the kicker is that the B1G has a massive amount of alumni in the NYC area. In fact, PSU and MICH are ranked #1 and #2 as far as number of alumni in the NYC among P5 schools. And obviously OSU, Wisconsin, etc. have a ton too. As far as fandom, Michigan, Penn State, Syracuse, Ohio State and Rutgers are the five most popular schools of CFB fans located in NYC. B1G has 4 of the top 5 with Rutgers alone. Plus more. So yeah, NYC is B1G country when compared to any other conference.

Adding Rutgers was a combination of serving the alumni, and cementing their foothold in the #1 media market in the world, where the media is located too. Other cities are cities, but they don't have the overwhelming weight of the NYC market to change the equation.

This is all just my opinion, but I think the marketplace supports it.

Last edited:
Btw the schools that really dont care about football dont care if the contract goes till 2036. BC, WF and them man. They dont need money to recruit them 2 and 3 stars and they have no fanbase to answer to for winning 4 or 5 games routinely. We need to start finding dirt and kompromat on some of these man. Yow we got your file, vote leave like its Brexit now

Advertisement
Guess I just don’t understand why. They seem to care about every professional sports team, a lot. Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, even the Bruins get a ton of love. Why would they not be interested in college football? I understand BC isn’t great, but still. You’d think a town like Boston would be interested regardless. I can confirm Miami residents don’t care about sports the same way.
As someone from Boston, the interest in college sports won't ever be there unless the team is winning big. Between the fact that we have pro teams in every major sport and the fact that those pro teams over the last few decades have all been at or near the top of the totem pole for much of that time, no one cares about an underperforming college team.

I remember being in High School back in '07 and when Matty Ice had BC ranked number 2, the city was going crazy for BC for those few weeks. Then we came back down to earth and it went back to not giving a crap because the Pats were in the midst of the 16-0 Season, Sox were about to win another title, Celtics were a wagon on their way to win another title, and the Bruins were a playoff contender. **** I think even the New England Revolution were in the playoffs that year lol.

Advertisement
Guess I just don’t understand why. They seem to care about every professional sports team, a lot. Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, even the Bruins get a ton of love. Why would they not be interested in college football? I understand BC isn’t great, but still. You’d think a town like Boston would be interested regardless. I can confirm Miami residents don’t care about sports the same way.
You keep answering your own questions.

They aren't nor ever have been great or relevant in college football. They are similar to Rutgers in that aspect. For them, college football is an afterthought.

Ask one of these Philly ****heads that are big Philly sports fans, but not tied to a PA college football team like Penn State or to a lesser extent Temple…

Semi-sarcastically to bust their balls but also they may have a similar perspective as a masshole..

All the recent statements from the AD's reads more like lip service because after meeting they don't see really any other realistic options. Seems like we're ****ed.

Yep.

Basically:

“I love these guys, but I’m still going to do what’s best for me”

At a minimum, if no one wanted them, the requisite number of ACC schools can vote to dissolve the conference and start their own conference just to escape the GOR.

That said, I’d say that between us he BIG 10 and 12 and the SEC, the only 8 schools mentioned will be picked up.
Its probably been discussed in this thread, if they can vote to dissolve the conference at that point, why not just do it now? You'd think they could al find better value elsewhere. Does a vote need to be unanimous?

In addition to the 7 being discussed, Louisville, Duke, Pitt, and Syracuse would definitely have value to other conferences. A media market argument could probably be made for GT too. BIG12?

I guess that still leaves Wake and BC. So maybe they'd be the holdouts?

Advertisement
As someone from Boston, the interest in college sports won't ever be there unless the team is winning big. Between the fact that we have pro teams in every major sport and the fact that those pro teams over the last few decades have all been at or near the top of the totem pole for much of that time, no one cares about an underperforming college team.

I remember being in High School back in '07 and when Matty Ice had BC ranked number 2, the city was going crazy for BC for those few weeks. Then we came back down to earth and it went back to not giving a crap because the Pats were in the midst of the 16-0 Season, Sox were about to win another title, Celtics were a wagon on their way to win another title, and the Bruins were a playoff contender. **** I think even the New England Revolution were in the playoffs that year lol.

I will gladly stomp on a box of Flutie Flakes

The ADs are going to be conservative in their statements because you don't want anything brought up in court when this is fought.

The expansion model from 2003-2013 was based on access to media markets to increase cable distribution money. That model is dead, thanks to cord cutting and the dwindling numbers of live TV subscribers, whether through cable/satellite or streaming.
The current expansion model is based on eyeballs on matchups.
The goal of both models was to maximize media rights distribution AAV per school.

Exactly.

If the Big 10 had a do-over, they would not have taken Rutgers/Maryland. That's a pretty obvious failure, thus far, based solely on the size of the TV markets, and no other considerations.

Advertisement
Its probably been discussed in this thread, if they can vote to dissolve the conference at that point, why not just do it now? You'd think they could al find better value elsewhere. Does a vote need to be unanimous?

In addition to the 7 being discussed, Louisville, Duke, Pitt, and Syracuse would definitely have value to other conferences. A media market argument could probably be made for GT too. BIG12?

what does cuse bring….a crap football program thats been trash since mcnabb left and a hoops program that is a shell of what it used to be

This is where I have my doubts. If everyone can get out, why not do it? We all know the ACC is doomed. No way of saving it. There’s gotta be a reason why they don’t vote to dissolve the conference beyond what we know.

That statement is the proverbial “Sitting on the fence.” Talks about loyalty to the ACC so as not to ruffle any feathers, but willing to change directions if industry presents opportunity.

I'm surprised more people haven't figured out the public comments.

Nobody...and I mean NO school or school administrator...wants to make public statements that, in any way, suggest that we are in cahoots to kill the ACC. I would have thought people had figured that out based on what happened in the Shalala/Big East accusations/litigation.

The first rule of Magnificent Seven is: you do not talk about Magnificent Seven.

The second rule of Magnificent Seven is: you DO NOT talk about Magnificent Seven.

Advertisement
Back