MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

******' Jim Phillips...

disperse-lesley-nielsen.gif
What do you want him to say 'everybody panic!'?

Advertisement
I think...that if ESPN has to pay more money for college football...they'd prefer to pay a BIGGER conference like the SEC or Big 10...as opposed to paying more to conferences that are just lurching from crisis to crisis, like the ACC or the Pac 12 or the Big 12...and knowing full well that certain teams from those last 3 conferences will gravitate together to form a third "super-conference"...

You’re correct, which has a tie into your previous post about teams and their geographies and markets being a finite resource.

ESPN hitched its wagon to SEC, smartly

Unfortunately the ACC’s only leverage is nuclear and to blow it up

What I’m also curious to know, why is Boston College considered so worthless in all these talks? Boston is a huge sports town with one of the most obnoxious fanbases you can imagine. I know they don’t care much for college football but I’d think the TV market would be valuable. I mean Maryland joined the BIG and I’d be surprised if they had a bigger fanbase or better TV market than BC.

What I’m also curious to know, why is Boston College considered so worthless in all these talks? Boston is a huge sports town with one of the most obnoxious fanbases you can imagine. I know they don’t care much for college football but I’d think the TV market would be valuable. I mean Maryland joined the BIG and I’d be surprised if they had a bigger fanbase or better TV market than BC.

For the same reason GT, TCU (CFP!), SMU, CAL, Temple and Houston (who are ALL located in larger media markets than Boston) aren't desirable enough to warrant B1G/SEC consideration. It takes a lot more than just being located in a city to have value. That's just one part of the equation. Commitment to athletics (budget), alumni support, potential (recruiting base, etc) and proof of concept matter. Not to mention media draw. It's nice that those schools are located in cities but no one is watching.

Advertisement
I don’t know. I thought about that. If orESPN has this great deal that’s so bad for the other side that it’s potentially going to be worthless if they disband the conference, then they have options to possibly consider.

Do they want to make a point of a deal’s a deal???

Is a new deal not worth it for them with some teams going to the SEC where they’ll be on ESPN anyhow???
Bottom line it might be more profitable for ESPN to fold the ACC and pick up FSU, Clemson, Va Tech and NC State to enhance their programming potential. And schedule OOC games with the Big 10. Win Win.

You answered your own question ... they don't care much about college football.

Advertisement
For the same reason GT, TCU (CFP!), SMU, CAL, Temple and Houston (who are ALL located in larger media markets than Boston) aren't desirable enough to warrant B1G/SEC consideration. It takes a lot more than just being located in a city to have value. That's just one part of the equation. Commitment to athletics (budget), alumni support, potential (recruiting base, etc) and proof of concept matter. Not to mention media draw. It's nice that those schools are located in cities but no one is watching.
But did Rutgers and Maryland have folks in NYC/DC areas watching? Were either committed to athletics? Is recruiting anything special in these areas? Seems like locations being in big cities is what their biggest selling point was. Just curious to know why the same doesn’t apply to BC or Pittsburgh. While I don’t consider either university to be a “football” school, they have a much better history on the field than Rutgers or Maryland. Come to think of it, I can’t think of any notable players to come out of Rutgers or Maryland off the top of my head. BC had Matt Ryan. Pitt produced Aaron Donald and Darrell Revis in the last 15 years. Donald is first ballot NFL HOF. Revis might get a gold jacket some day. Oh yeah and Larry Fitzgerald. Lots of great players have played for Pittsburgh.

Pretty sure someone may have suggested it. But whats the possiblity of the ACC desolving, getting out of the GOR, then try to reform with a 20 team league, force ND hand and invite Oregon and Washington, maybe try to get into Texas? If they desolve they have to have some ability to Entice atleast 1 Texas school like Baylor or TT. Then try to see what kinda TV money they can get from that. I prefer to say f it and head to a stable conference like the BIG but whats the possibility of a bigger reformed ACC, it would entice the hold outs to dissolve the GOR.

Advertisement
But did Rutgers and Maryland have folks in NYC/DC areas watching? Were either committed to athletics? Is recruiting anything special in these areas? Seems like locations being in big cities is what their biggest selling point was. Just curious to know why the same doesn’t apply to BC or Pittsburgh. While I don’t consider either university to be a “football” school, they have a much better history on the field than Rutgers or Maryland. Come to think of it, I can’t think of any notable players to come out of Rutgers or Maryland off the top of my head. BC had Matt Ryan. Pitt produced Aaron Donald and Darrell Revis in the last 15 years. Donald is first ballot NFL HOF. Revis might get a gold jacket some day. Oh yeah and Larry Fitzgerald. Lots of great players have played for Pittsburgh.

The expansion model from 2003-2013 was based on access to media markets to increase cable distribution money. That model is dead, thanks to cord cutting and the dwindling numbers of live TV subscribers, whether through cable/satellite or streaming.
The current expansion model is based on eyeballs on matchups.
The goal of both models was to maximize media rights distribution AAV per school.

I don’t know. I thought about that. If ESPN has this great deal that’s so bad for the other side that it’s potentially going to be worthless if they disband the conference, then they have options to possibly consider.

Do they want to make a point of a deal’s a deal???

Is a new deal not worth it for them with some teams going to the SEC where they’ll be on ESPN anyhow???
Honestly, it’s math.
to renegotiate the ACC deal they would have to pay a lot more money and not getting that much back other than the ACC continuing to exist. Or they can pay incrementally more for their deals that they already have in the SEC and Big Ten, then get the Premier properties that they really only care about over to them again anyway. Why pay 1 million when you’re currently paying 100,000 and the worst case is that you’d have to pay 400,000 (not real numbers just an example) to keep what you want.

Last edited:
You answered your own question ... they don't care much about college football.
Guess I just don’t understand why. They seem to care about every professional sports team, a lot. Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, even the Bruins get a ton of love. Why would they not be interested in college football? I understand BC isn’t great, but still. You’d think a town like Boston would be interested regardless. I can confirm Miami residents don’t care about sports the same way.

Advertisement
Pretty sure someone may have suggested it. But whats the possiblity of the ACC desolving, getting out of the GOR, then try to reform with a 20 team league, force ND hand and invite Oregon and Washington, maybe try to get into Texas? If they desolve they have to have some ability to Entice atleast 1 Texas school like Baylor or TT. Then try to see what kinda TV money they can get from that. I prefer to say f it and head to a stable conference like the BIG but whats the possibility of a bigger reformed ACC, it would entice the hold outs to dissolve the GOR.
The ACC itself in theory could do all of that right now and that would open up the ACC TV contract - but clearly something else is preventing that from happening or it’s been explored and 💩

Bottom line it might be more profitable for ESPN to fold the ACC and pick up FSU, Clemson, Va Tech and NC State to enhance their programming potential. And schedule OOC games with the Big 10. Win Win.
Would it though? I have a hard time believing that it would be in ESPN's interest to give up the sweetheart deal they have with the ACC until 2036, pay the teams they already have under contract more money and lose inventory on all of the other teams.

Guess I just don’t understand why. They seem to care about every professional sports team, a lot. Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, even the Bruins get a ton of love. Why would they not be interested in college football? I understand BC isn’t great, but still. You’d think a town like Boston would be interested regardless. I can confirm Miami residents don’t care about sports the same way.
Again, you answered your own question... they have a bunch of pro teams. Look at the college football teams that are popular - the majority of them are from places that either don't have a nearby pro sports team or the nearby pro sports teams are relatively new. I realize there are exceptions to this, but most of the schools with the biggest followings are not in areas with pro teams.

Advertisement
Back