MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Because for the SEC and the B1G it's a game of chicken..there are only so many "big brands" left that would be worth adding. Neither of them will just think "well, the other is expanding and getting bigger and stronger and creating more value and bigger contracts, but we're happy with where we're at."
Miami, UNC and UVA together gives the BIG 10 Beach heads in South Florida, Carolina in the South and completes it in the mid Atlantic and DC between UVA and Maryland.

Advertisement
maybe this has been answered but why doesn't ESPN just offer more dough rather than risk the implosion of the league? yes you need leverage to renogotiate a deal. isn't the leverage the consequences of not doing a deal?
I don’t know. I thought about that. If ESPN has this great deal that’s so bad for the other side that it’s potentially going to be worthless if they disband the conference, then they have options to possibly consider.

Do they want to make a point of a deal’s a deal???

Is a new deal not worth it for them with some teams going to the SEC where they’ll be on ESPN anyhow???

I don’t know. I thought about that. If ESPN has this great deal that’s so bad for the other side that it’s potentially going to be worthless if they disband the conference, then they have options to possibly consider.

Do they want to make a point of a deal’s a deal???

Is a new deal not worth it for them with some teams going to the SEC where they’ll be on ESPN anyhow???
but then they are stuck with having to show these dud games involving the teams that are left.

Advertisement
maybe this has been answered but why doesn't ESPN just offer more dough rather than risk the implosion of the league? yes you need leverage to renogotiate a deal. isn't the leverage the consequences of not doing a deal?

Because, simultaneously, ESPN is facing challenges, including the possibility of being spun off from ABC/Disney.

I don't think ESPN is in the best position to GRATUITOUSLY offer more money. Now, if they are FORCED TO...

Advertisement
@JamesQuall need an emergency ruling here. It's borderline.
@Cryptical Envelopment You are the one I may need to give an emergency ruling on.

@RVACane was stating factual information regarding beaches, and I did not see any jokes or puns in what he was saying.

The issue now is he was talking about beaches that could be considered "borders." You then stated that his comment was "borderline." That is dangerously close to an extremely bad attempt at creating a pun.

Please don't let it happen again.

Watching You Today Show GIF

Because for the SEC and the B1G it's a game of chicken..there are only so many "big brands" left that would be worth adding. Neither of them will just think "well, the other is expanding and getting bigger and stronger and creating more value and bigger contracts, but we're happy with where we're at."
Let me ask this, if the SEC added FSU and Clemson today, would this put them over the edge for TV revenue and get the BIG sweating? Maybe, but there has to be a big desire from the SEC to add more schools and I just don’t know if that desire is there right now. They’re getting Texas and OU next year. No one disputes how dominant the SEC is on the turf and they’re not too far behind the BIG for TV revenue like every other conference. I have no doubt FSU and Clemson will join them some day, the question I have is when?

Maybe the ACC schools are better off ripping the bandaid off now as long as the SEC/BIG will take the schools they want. Seems like it’d be a bigger mess to wait 2-3 years for FSU and Clemson to leave the conference on their own, forcing everyone to scramble for a new home.

Advertisement
Let me ask this, if the SEC added FSU and Clemson today, would this put them over the edge for TV revenue and get the BIG sweating? Maybe, but there has to be a big desire from the SEC to add more schools and I just don’t know if that desire is there right now. They’re getting Texas and OU next year. No one disputes how dominant the SEC is on the turf and they’re not too far behind the BIG for TV revenue like every other conference. I have no doubt FSU and Clemson will join them some day, the question I have is when?

Maybe the ACC schools are better off ripping the bandaid off now as long as the SEC/BIG will take the schools they want. Seems like it’d be a bigger mess to wait 2-3 years for FSU and Clemson to leave the conference on their own, forcing everyone to scramble for a new home.

Look, this is very simple.

IN THE PAST, everyone just looked at this as "adding 2 teams at a time", because there was a seemingly limitless pool of possible schools to poach.

But now, the numbers are dwindling. This is the last good chance to buy up primo real estate in Florida and Virginia, and the Carolinas. If you only take 2 teams, you potentially allow your SEC/Big 10 competitor conference to jump past you by taking 4, and all the best schools will be gone soon (or else locked into a massive third Frankenstein super-conference from coast-to-coast).

So if you are the SEC/Big 10, you have to be prepared to go big or, literally, go home. The days of slow, careful expansion are over. We are in the end-game now. SEC/Big 10 are going to 20 members soon and will probably end on 24.

After that...

bill-paxton-game-over.gif

The ACC isn't ripping any bandaid off..they're in survival mode. Any "bandaid ripping" will lead to dissolution because every school that adds any value and can find another home will jump ship.

The SEC and B1G are in an arms race. SEC added Texas and OU and thought they had won the war..then B1G one upped them and added USC and UCLA. They're not done. There's still lots of media value to add out there even if they don't necessarily make the conference more competitive athletically.

Advertisement
Because, simultaneously, ESPN is facing challenges, including the possibility of being spun off from ABC/Disney.

I don't think ESPN is in the best position to GRATUITOUSLY offer more money. Now, if they are FORCED TO...

I’m making an educated guess that espn has made a business decision and fully expects the ACC to blow up, and is going to ride out their drastically under market one-sided ACC GOR contract until the teams “walk-out” by way of at least 8 teams finding new homes

I said it over a year ago, the BigTen and Fox will be our saviors

I’m making an educated guess that espn has made a business decision and fully expects the ACC to blow up, and is going to ride out their drastically under market one-sided ACC GOR contract until the teams “walk-out” by way of at least 8 teams finding new homes

I said it over a year ago, the BigTen and Fox will be our saviors

I think...that if ESPN has to pay more money for college football...they'd prefer to pay a BIGGER conference like the SEC or Big 10...as opposed to paying more to conferences that are just lurching from crisis to crisis, like the ACC or the Pac 12 or the Big 12...and knowing full well that certain teams from those last 3 conferences will gravitate together to form a third "super-conference"...

Advertisement
Back