MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

To rewind the tape to this question: What schools can the ACC or Pac add to save their conferences?

(I’m more in the camp that the ACC is dead.)
None. Maybe — maybe — a true merger of both conferences would save them. But I can’t imagine either would agree to that and there‘s reason to believe it would have its own legal obstacles.

But there is no significant value out in the market for either, unless they poached from each other. And not that geography matters in this bizarro world, but any schools who’d consider leaving would be signing up for literal cross country travel to join a conference that is dying around it anyway. These are blood transfusions in a corpse.

Advertisement
None. Maybe — maybe — a true merger of both conferences would save them. But I can’t imagine either would agree to that and there‘s reason to believe it would have its own legal obstacles.

But there is no significant value out in the market for either, unless they poached from each other. And not that geography matters in this bizarro world, but any schools who’d consider leaving would be signing up for literal cross country travel to join a conference that is dying around it anyway. These are blood transfusions in a corpse.

Agreed. By their nature they are both coastal conferences, running north/south vs east/west with no great links in the middle..:

To rewind the tape to this question: What schools can the ACC or Pac add to save their conferences?

Notre Dame is the only big fish out there that’s not in the B1G, nor SEC. That is probably the ONLY school that the PAC, or ACC (full member), could add that would have the cache to possibly save it. But don’t hold your breath, waiting for that to happen.

These AD's are as sleezy as politicians. They will be talking up to ACC 2 days before they announce they found the solution to terminate the contract. "Yeah we are talking about giving more to the bigger schools from the smaller pie ". Why would the smaller revenue schools agree to that when everyone is already getn screwed. Everyone even BC should be determined to find a solution out of it. Find man with landing spots and gtfo.

Btw i dont care about these AD's crying over money. If these moves are all being made for football, the programs should be mandated to spend a certain amount on their football program. The ACC teams simply didnt, we included before Mario. Hence bad football product and less attractive than the 2 big conferences. The BIG is the same btw, except they have old money. You look at the yearly recruiting rankings and you see why the SEC swamps everyone on the field. Not rocket science.
There is absolutely no loyalty. Everything the AD’s said about how happy they are in the ACC is nothing but damage control. Someone somewhere isn’t happy information surrounding disgruntled ACC schools got leaked, and they’re just throwing water on a baby fire. Schools in the ACC don’t want to be part of the ACC as long as the revenue gap between the SEC/BIG exists. As long as there’s a gap, schools will try and jump ship. I have no doubts about that. The ACC won’t make it to 2036 with its current deal. I’ll be surprised if they make it past 2025.

Where I have doubts is the desire for the SEC/BIG to add more schools anytime soon. It just seems like more trouble than it’s worth for them. They’re already kicking our asses with TV revenue and essentially have us cornered and down. Why would they invite more schools to share the pie? Sure it might benefit them to a certain extent, but I don’t see where/why they’d be eager to add 3-4 teams each. At least not for awhile.

Advertisement
There is absolutely no loyalty. Everything the AD’s said about how happy they are in the ACC is nothing but damage control. Someone somewhere isn’t happy information surrounding disgruntled ACC schools got leaked, and they’re just throwing water on a baby fire. Schools in the ACC don’t want to be part of the ACC as long as the revenue gap between the SEC/BIG exists. As long as there’s a gap, schools will try and jump ship. I have no doubts about that. The ACC won’t make it to 2036 with its current deal. I’ll be surprised if they make it past 2025.

Where I have doubts is the desire for the SEC/BIG to add more schools anytime soon. It just seems like more trouble than it’s worth for them. They’re already kicking our asses with TV revenue and essentially have us cornered and down. Why would they invite more schools to share the pie? Sure it might benefit them to a certain extent, but I don’t see where/why they’d be eager to add 3-4 teams each. At least not for awhile.
Im certain the BIG wants to add schools. Especially from Florida. They could outflank the SEC coast to coast. Which is also why i want to go there. We would be on TV in California, midwest in addition to where we already are. Further Enhancing our national appeal with recruits. The SEC probably doesnt want to expand because they already present in SC and FL but they want to keep the BIG out. For me the BIG have the cards when they went and took USC and UCLA. They have produced an inferior football product yet matched them with dollar value. Thats my preference plus we have more dormant rivalries there that could be revived in addition to all the other things like our alumni base etc.

All this talk, I mentioned where I stand way earlier in this thread.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were left out of any and all big conferences.

Why invite us? Schools already pick and choose mostly whichever recruits they want locally. Let the profits pile up and leave us out in the cold to starve.

This isn't the old Miami, at least not today. We aren't the draw or games people watch first, second, or even third mostly. Maybe all of this changes shortly, but if not, there's no reason to throw us a lifeline. **** them, let them rot should be their thinking, we'll be fine without them.
I understand what you’re saying, but go look at the tv ratings for our games from 2017 when we were good.

Advertisement

Putting aside the geography and value of the teams, what I haven't seen from the people that suggest this as a potential solution to save the ACC is how the TV contract negotiations would work. If a team is added, I assume there is some language in the deal with ESPN about how the deal would be renegotiated, but it can't be as simple as 'the current contract is void and we start over' or the ACC would have already added a team.

So I assume it is something more like the 'fair market value' of that team will be added. In that case, let's say that the fair market value of a team like Oregon is $100M per year (for illustrative purposes only) then the ACC adds them and gets $100M per year extra. You would need to take $24M (or whatever the current amount going to ACC teams is) give to Oregon and then spread the remaining $76M across 15 teams (current 14 plus Oregon). That means you just updated each team's revenue by ~$5M. Still doesn't come close to closing the gap and that is with an amount that is probably way too high of a value for Oregon.

And maybe that it not what the contract with ESPN says, but whatever it says it can't be as simple as adding a team or two opens the entire contract to renegotiation or that would have happened a while ago.

Also, the public GOR says any team joining the ACC has to also agree to give up their rights until the GOR ends. The new GOR is not public, but I assume that this requirement would still be there and I would think any team of value would not want to sign that.

This is where the ACC messed up. If the ACC would've added UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, it would be in A LOT better place than where they are now. You add 2 schools that are in states that aren't in the conference currently, without stretching out too far. And you add UCF that has been a recognizable brand in CFB within the last 10-20 years.

Not being active to add teams will be/is the death of the ACC.

It depends on if the ACC has the right to renegotiate with ESPN when they add teams (or if there are escalators to increase the contract value). If adding a new team would allow the ACC to renegotiate effectively, I'd guess that would already have happened with some of the teams that went to the Big 12. That tells me the ACC deal is probably set in stone, at least in terms of the revenue each school would get.

The PAC 12 would clearly benefit from more teams, but what big names would go to them at this point?

Edit: @Shogungts basically made the ACC point more effectively above. The lack of adding other teams shows me that top ACC schools view dissolution as the most viable path.

Advertisement

Because for the SEC and the B1G it's a game of chicken..there are only so many "big brands" left that would be worth adding. Neither of them will just think "well, the other is expanding and getting bigger and stronger and creating more value and bigger contracts, but we're happy with where we're at."

The difference between the Oklahoma situation and our current won is the increasing revenue disparity between conferences. If you believe we're on the OK ***** for a few years then leave path, I'd bet that we're on an accelerated version of it.

If schools think they can avoid the GOR penalties, there's no reason to stay longer than 1-2 more years. You want that additional revenue ASAP, and would move the second it's feasible

This alone is worthy of FSU and Miami seceding... And everybody in America knows this is ridiculous and just terrible leadership from the ACC.

Pay Me 50 Cent GIF by BET Awards

Advertisement
Yeah… I was told there’s a later version. The 2013 one hoops posted isn’t it. Seems like you know a good deal about it. Hopefully it’s 8 to dissolve the conference and we have 8.
Aside from Gator Tears this is my most watched thread, I'm just consolidating what's been said here (at least, the stuff that seems most reliable). So anything I get wrong I blame on the collective (wisdom?) of CIS

At a minimum, if no one wanted them, the requisite number of ACC schools can vote to dissolve the conference and start their own conference just to escape the GOR.

That said, I’d say that between us he BIG 10 and 12 and the SEC, the only 8 schools mentioned will be picked up.

At a minimum, if no one wanted them, the requisite number of ACC schools can vote to dissolve the conference and start their own conference just to escape the GOR.

That said, I’d say that between us he BIG 10 and 12 and the SEC, the only 8 schools mentioned will be picked up.
maybe this has been answered but why doesn't ESPN just offer more dough rather than risk the implosion of the league? yes you need leverage to renogotiate a deal. isn't the leverage the consequences of not doing a deal?

Advertisement
Back