MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Thinking that the ACC hoops brand is “special “ has been shown to be unrealistic this season. UVa and Miami are the two top teams in conference and will likely get 4 seeds in the tournament.
Yeah, and somehow I keep seeing Iowa State out of the B12 projected to be a four seed when they had 10 losses. That makes no sense. Their schedule doesn’t make up for that kind of loss count.

We’ll see where they land now that they are at 17-11

Advertisement
They had lawyers working to find a way for over a year and nothing has come out of it for now, maybe it will be settled but not 13/10 years away from the deadline.

The only thing that could force ESPN and ACC to reopen that deal is a new member big enough to move the needle for everyone (Notre Dame).

Good luck with that.
What I’m not seeing discussed a lot today, which was a comforting factor back when this deal was signed was supposed contract “look ins” which could adjust the payments to the ACC if the deal got too far away from other conferences. Was that all just a load of crap?!

This is why teams like Miami, Clemson and others have been trying to run for the hills. I imagine it will likely drag out longer for obvious reasons. Why pay to get out of the conference if it will eventually be gone ?

The current deal is atrocious and the AD’s that signed off on it should be smacked.

I still say Sec , with the B10 next but I don’t buy all the other gossip with say the B12.
funny that miami (both Rad and James) signed off on this deal they hate.

The ACC represents the schools and works for the schools. They need the ADs to sign off on things. New initiatives. New rules and regulations. Bylaws. New contracts for the other sports. Passing budgets and new spending for ACC employees. The unhappy ADs could spend the next 12 years tanking and sabotaging everything the ACC does. Jim Phillips is the CEO but the ADs and school officials are the board members. It's not like this contract is the only order of business they'll do for the next decade. The ACC serves the schools. Not the other way around. The ACC doesn't generate income. They don't have a product. It's the schools that generate income and put the product on the field.
ok thats fine. not every school wants unequal distribution fwiw. as you said, everyone needs to sign off. you wont get everyone to sign off. also, the schools just wont stop playing. look everyone is basically ****ed until someone ponies up hundreds of million to break out, another conference says well pay it for you, or ESPN tears up the entire tv deal.

Yeah, and somehow I keep seeing Iowa State out of the B12 projected to be a four seed when they had 10 losses. That makes no sense. Their schedule doesn’t make up for that kind of loss count.

We’ll see where they land now that they are at 17-11
thats all BS. ACC is down this year but so is every other conference really. you think I respect murderers row in Tuscaloosa when UK is down, UF sucks, and Tenn has proven to be overrated.

Advertisement
I didn't wanna say it but yeahhhhhh.....I'm sure Dan would like to have that one back.

Especially when you consider Clemson was on top of the world right around the time this contract was signed. Whoops.

I didn't wanna say it but yeahhhhhh.....I'm sure Dan would like to have that one back.

Especially when you consider Clemson was on top of the world right around the time this contract was signed. Whoops.
can't ***** now when you were totally fine w it before. it really hurts Clemson the most tho. I haven't looked it up, but I would guess they get the highest ratings share of any one in the conference including us along w revenue. we haven't been good in forever, but we also did have like half our season on RSN last year even w the ACCN which tells you all you need to know about what the tv people thought about us (likely took a look at our numbers and saw what ratings we have been getting this year).

This is why teams like Miami, Clemson and others have been trying to run for the hills. I imagine it will likely drag out longer for obvious reasons. Why pay to get out of the conference if it will eventually be gone ?

The current deal is atrocious and the AD’s that signed off on it should be smacked.

I still say Sec , with the B10 next but I don’t buy all the other gossip with say the B12.
Even Rad?

We're still a top 10 brand by many metrics. Think about that. As bad as we've been for 2 decades, many still consider Miami Hurricanes a top 10 brand.

Imagine if we were just a perennial top 10 or top 15 team for the last 2 decades with occasional seasons like 2017. In 2017 with the turnover chain and the undefeated season you had the sports world tuned into Miami.. Not just college football but everybody. Rappers. Graphics on the screen. Other professional sports and athletes were referencing it and mimicking it. Dozens of other college football programs were mimicking it. And that was just from 10 wins. It was nuts.

Miami still has a ton of brand potential (for now).

Advertisement

Again, the whole reason for the 2016 contract extension, and GOR extension was for ESPN to startup the ACC Network. The AD's wanted the ACC Network, and this was the cost.
The conference could have waited until the Swofford's terrible ESPN/Raycom deal ended in 2026/27 to startup the network (and renegotiate all their rights deals), but SEC and Big Ten envy,, and fear of falling further behind, pushed them to get ESPN to startup the network.

It costs money to undo the 2010 mistakes, and ESPN convinced them to bake that cost (including buying back TV rights from Raycom for ACC Network content) into the current extension. ACC will bring in significantly more money when the Raycom deal fully ends in 2027.

A lot of this situation speaks to just how gangster the SEC was to snag OU and UT. That reset the whole landscape. Then the B1G comes out with that massive tv deal across three networks.

Fortune favors the bold.

Because the ratings of programs that are down or not, the only factor that are included the brown value, including the types of people who pay to watch those ads in the future are also important in though this is just one example Miami is a top 10 brand in many ways that networks and advertisers look at it. So the analysis is yes a combination of recency (ratings), historical,future projection, and brand Strength. Advertisers and thus networks pay more for certain eyeballs - it’s not just “college football viewers”.

take This with a grain of salt but it’s not completely off on how other more used studies look at things during negotiations

Bro, no offense, but this a 247 author opinion article. Furthermore, brand & viewership r two totally different topics. Advertisers r not paying top $$ for a product that’s rarely seen. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact. The fact is, the viewerships of our games have precipitously dropped, which is why we’ve been relegated to the B group. Our games were once upon a time nationally televised w/ frequency, which made us the big fish for the ACC, that’s no longer the case; hence, we have threads on this board asking how to watch us! Lol.

This further proves my point:

P.S- u may do this, and I respect that, but when I have family who actually work for the network of the parent company for the ACC Network, pls understand I’m not talking from an opinion standpoint vs. data standpoint.

Advertisement
Bro, no offense, but this a 247 author opinion article. Furthermore, brand & viewership r two totally different topics. Advertisers r not paying top $$ for a product that’s rarely seen. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact. The fact is, the viewerships of our games have precipitously dropped, which is why we’ve been relegated to the B group. Our games were once upon a time nationally televised w/ frequency, which made us the big fish for the ACC, that’s no longer the case; hence, we have threads on this board asking how to watch us! Lol.

P.S- u may do this, and I respect that, but when I have family who actually work for the network of the parent company for the ACC Network, pls understand I’m not talking from an opinion standpoint vs. data standpoint.
Dude. I know. I’m not posting paid for market research reports that report the same info. I’m done trying to explain this to you. Enjoy.

If there were any easy solutions, the top schools would be gone already. All the schools signed what was designed to be as iron-clad a contact as could be written, with the express goal of keeping the conference together. They succeeded.

The only way out is to successfully contest the contract (which would be expensive, and possibly fruitless if the contract is as iron-clad as intended), leave and suffer the $300M+ consequences, assuming that # is accurate, get a majority of ACC schools to vote to dismantle the conference (seems unlikely as that would be suicidal for some of the less valuable ones), or successfully negotiate a lower number to leave (good luck).

Or something else I can't currently come up with.
Well hopefully it's only iron clad because it's never been tested before...

Ok, so if you are in the biz, what do you know about the contractual “look ins” that the ACC supposedly has to ensure its deal doesn’t get too far away from competition over its 20 years span. There was supposed to be protection.

Advertisement
Like I said b4, the ADs that signed off on this were dumb af. The biggest rival to the SEC in regards to championships have been The ACC; yet, they have a worst TV contract than the f’ing PAC-12. I live in PAC-12 country & there’s times I can’t even get PAC-12 football on my TV b/c Directv doesn’t carry the PAC-12 Network, yet they r still making $3m more/school. Lol. Unbelievable.
Why not have an out at the halfway mark to renegotiate if the college football landscape changed?

Each team would have to take less per year for that benefit but it obviously would’ve been worth it.

I don’t remember if it was the nfl or nba contract with the players that had something like that in there.

We're still a top 10 brand by many metrics. Think about that. As bad as we've been for 2 decades, many still consider Miami Hurricanes a top 10 brand.

Imagine if we were just a perennial top 10 or top 15 team for the last 2 decades with occasional seasons like 2017. In 2017 with the turnover chain and the undefeated season you had the sports world tuned into Miami.. Not just college football but everybody. Rappers. Graphics on the screen. Other professional sports and athletes were referencing it and mimicking it. ALL THE OTHER college football programs were mimicking it. And that was just from 10 wins. It was nuts.

Miami still has a ton of brand potential (for now).

F I F Y

****, i don't watch Canes FB, last yr was 2017.
Ps, I'm an alum & was born, raised in The Gables..

Mentioned the FSU-Clemson "partnership" before, but this comes from the Trailerhassee paper today:

"Clemson, which is in lockstep with FSU, also is pushing for change with revenue distribution within the ACC."

This would be the one and only time we should pursue a three-way with those two despicable programs.

Advertisement
Back