MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Josh Pate said that Jim Delany has still been advising the Big Ten on expansion

100 percent this.

Kevin Warren is far too new to the commissioner's role to orchestrate the maneuvers it takes to put realignment pieces in place.

Delany's obssesion with getting Notre Dame (and his alma mater UNC) into the B1G goes back decades.

Accomplishing this and making the Big Ten the indisputedly preeminent combo of athletics and academics is Delany's life's work

Last edited:
Since Texas and Oklahoma were added to the SEC, when does the SEC begin negotiations with ESPN to increase their deal? Does ESPN get right of first refusal before the SEC could go to other networks?

100 percent this.

Kevin Warren is far too new to the commissioner's role to orchestrate the maneuvers it takes to put realignment pieces in place.

Delany obssesion with getting Notre Dame (and his alma mater UNC) into the B1G goes back decades.

Accomplishing this and making the Big Ten the indisputedly preeminent combo of athletics and academics is Delany's life's work

One of the great ironies of UM football is that a key reason that UM is even attractive to the B1G is that Shalala focused on raising UMs academic standing and invested heavily in biomedical research (AAU schools have big biomed programs). After leaving Wisconsin, its looks almost as if she had a long term plan to turn UM into a B1G school. Since the B1G would love to add UM and have more access to S Fl recruits, the SEC is also interested in adding UM to c0ckblock the B1G and keep them out of Florida. I don't think the SEC would be keen on adding UM otherwise because the SEC schools has been able to raid S Fl and attract recruits based on playing in the "premier" football conference.

I don't think the SEC would be keen on adding UM otherwise because the SEC schools has been able to raid S Fl and attract recruits based on playing in the "premier" football conference.

Definitely a conundrum for Sankey.

His worst-case scenario is UM going to the B1G, killing it and locking up SoFla recruiting.

His preference would be for us to end up in a league with UCF and USF and fade into something of an afterthought

Advertisement
Definitely a conundrum for Sankey.

His worst-case scenario is UM going to the B1G, killing it and locking up SoFla recruiting.

His preference would be for us to end up in a league with UCF and USF and fade into something of an afterthought
And you know that isn't happening. Even Finebaum came out in that "debate" with Mad Dog saying "come on ... Miami is one of the major brands out there".

And you know that isn't happening. Even Finebaum came out in that "debate" with Mad Dog saying "come on ... Miami is one of the major brands out there".

Being a major brand is a double edged sword. Every SEC school knows that if they let UM into the SEC and then give UM 100 million per year in TV money, their days of cherry picking recruits are over. The SEC Commish might see the obvious revenue opportunities if UM becomes the greatest heel in CFB again, but the SEC coaches are not going to be fans of the idea.

Being a major brand is a double edged sword. Every SEC school knows that if they let UM into the SEC and then give UM 100 million per year in TV money, their days of cherry picking recruits are over. The SEC Commish might see the obvious revenue opportunities if UM becomes the greatest heel in CFB again, but the SEC coaches are not going to be fans of the idea.
So ... they see the $$$ potential for the brand .... but they let it go to the BIG 10 instead .... and let the BIG 10 into a prime SE market and also for ramped up recruiting presence. Some in the SEC might not like it .... but reality is the SEC is better with UM as a member (and also the SEC network ... ESPN) than having UM along with another prime ACC program (UNC?) joining the BIG 10.

The SEC Commish might see the obvious revenue opportunities if UM becomes the greatest heel in CFB again, but the SEC coaches, administrators, media and fans are not going to be fans of the idea.
Canes against The World would be EPIC

Come On GIF by HBO Max

Advertisement
So ... they see the $$$ potential for the brand .... but they let it go to the BIG 10 instead .... and let the BIG 10 into a prime SE market and also for ramped up recruiting presence. Some in the SEC might not like it .... but reality is the SEC is better with UM as a member (and also the SEC network ... ESPN) than having UM along with another prime ACC program (UNC?) joining the BIG 10.

tenor.gif

One of the great ironies of UM football is that a key reason that UM is even attractive to the B1G is that Shalala focused on raising UMs academic standing and invested heavily in biomedical research (AAU schools have big biomed programs). After leaving Wisconsin, its looks almost as if she had a long term plan to turn UM into a B1G school. Since the B1G would love to add UM and have more access to S Fl recruits, the SEC is also interested in adding UM to c0ckblock the B1G and keep them out of Florida. I don't think the SEC would be keen on adding UM otherwise because the SEC schools has been able to raid S Fl and attract recruits based on playing in the "premier" football conference.
No, Shalala BAD.

Boris Karloff Vintage GIF

Advertisement
This is from the USC 247 site and was posted today:

We’re heard plenty about the B1G Ten centering its focus on making Notre Dame a part of its future national conference that will include USC and UCLA in 2024. We continue to hear that Miami is also a school that is being looked at for future expansion. While many college football fans would assume Miami would join the SEC in major conference expansion, several source we’ve spoken with feel like Miami would be more apt to join a B1G national conference.

That even comes from people working the recruiting beat in Florida. 247Sports Recruiting Analyst Andrew Ivins has covered Miami for years in his duties as a recruiting writer and shared his opinion on the Hurricanes’ future.

“Personally, I think the BIG Ten makes the most sense for Miami,” said Ivins. “They have the med school and good academics, so they check those boxes outside of football.

“The BIG Ten is looking for a partner to dance with the that conference is recruiting Florida as well as anyone in the 2023 cycle. I haven’t been to every B1G Ten campus nor have I been to every SEC campus, but from what I have seen, I think Miami fits in better with the B1G Ten.” — Gerard Martinez
UM might be the only school at the moment drawing interest from both the Big Ten and SEC. Big Ten seems to have no interest in FSU and haven’t heard much about them looking at Clemson. I could see Big Ten adding ND, Stanford, Miami and UNC/GT.

I posted on this board around two YEARS ago that Miami would be joining the SEC. I think you were one of the people I was discussing it with, and you had some interesting but off the cuff takes. I also was the first to say that Miami had money, and that we would be getting a stadium. This was before Ruiz. Before any of you had heard of Mas, and our biggest $ accomplishment was the Soffer indoor.

Y’all weren’t ready to hear the facts then. I won’t call anyone out, but I remember a lot of well known posters arguing that my take was bad, that Florida would block us (this was before Texas and OU went SEC). They argued we were a small private school with no money. They said South Florida had no land for stadiums. I wasn’t speaking from a place of ignorance. I was right from the beginning and I am right today.

These things don’t get done overnight, they’ve BEEN in the works. You weren’t ready then, but just hang tight.

I posted on this board around two YEARS ago that Miami would be joining the SEC. I think you were one of the people I was discussing it with, and you had some interesting but off the cuff takes. I also was the first to say that Miami had money, and that we would be getting a stadium. This was before Ruiz. Before any of you had heard of Mas, and our biggest $ accomplishment was the Soffer indoor.

Y’all weren’t ready to hear the facts then. I won’t call anyone out, but I remember a lot of well known posters arguing that my take was bad, that Florida would block us (this was before Texas and OU went SEC). They argued we were a small private school with no money. They said South Florida had no land for stadiums. I wasn’t speaking from a place of ignorance. I was right from the beginning and I am right today.

These things don’t get done overnight, they’ve BEEN in the works. You weren’t ready then, but just hang tight.
Yeah I’m gonna need the
1658617186518.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back