MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Good points, but we're dealing with the "buy out fee" which sounds to be the equivalent of a liquidated damages fee. The fee needs to have a basis for it or it becomes a penalty and is unenforceable. The large fee seems like a number that the ACC selected for its own protection after Maryland left for the Big 10 and not a number reasonably calculated based on what it would lose should a team leave. I haven't read it, but if the fee is the same for everyone then its easier to make the argument that it's arbitrary. The ACC loses a lot more money if it loses Miami, Florida State or Clemson. It does not lose as much money if it loses Duke
A lot of this discussion is to a degree mental *********ion without actually being able to read a copy of the current ACC Agreement. One journalist who HAD reviewed the new agreement stated that in his opinion it was MALLEABLE due to having a "competitive revenue clause". Apparently it stated something on the order that ACC member teams would be paid an amount comparable to what similar teams received in other conferences and if not there existed grounds for either terminating the agreement or being able to leave the conference with no financial penalty. No idea if some wording actually exists that hints at this possibility.

Advertisement
ZomboMeme 09072022155025.jpg

Advertisement
ACC could be throwing the sink at UNC to stay to keep the conference afloat if nothing else basketball might hold it together? Just a guess of course
ACC literally can't keep it together. ACC made ~$580M last year. Let's say they wanted to give Clemson, Miami, FSU, and UNC $70M each to stay. Reasonable, considering theyll avoid having to pay damages for leaving. You probably have to offer UVA, NCST, UL, and maybe Duke a sweetheart deal to stay, let's say $50M. Now you've spent $440M on the top half of your conference, and you only have $140M to split amongst the bottom 8.5 (ND = .5). Would they take that? Comes out to roughly 17.5M per, although that's ignoring ND which would get smaller share.

Advertisement
ACC literally can't keep it together. ACC made ~$580M last year. Let's say they wanted to give Clemson, Miami, FSU, and UNC $70M each to stay. Reasonable, considering theyll avoid having to pay damages for leaving. You probably have to offer UVA, NCST, UL, and maybe Duke a sweetheart deal to stay, let's say $50M. Now you've spent $440M on the top half of your conference, and you only have $140M to split amongst the bottom 8.5 (ND = .5). Would they take that? Comes out to roughly 17.5M per, although that's ignoring ND which would get smaller share.
The minute the Big Ten tv deal gets inked every advertiser for college football is immediately paying more.

You ever heard the phrase:
A rising tide lifts all boats

I’ve said it multiple times in this thread, if ESPN wants to play hardball with ACC, specifically Clemson and Miami, that’s their prerogative. But it basically guarantees Miami and Clemson go to Big Ten ANnnnnnnD, completely devalues the rest of the conference. Plus if Clemson and Miami get enough acc teams to leave with them, they can leave with no exit fee

I’m done rehashing this stuff for now. Until new info becomes available I’ll be chillin.

But anyone that thinks the two outcomes are ACC stays intake with no raises or Miami pays a $500mm fee to leave is just plain stupid and is probably 39 years old working at Pollo Tropical living with their parents

The minute the Big Ten tv deal gets inked every advertiser for college football is immediately paying more.

You ever heard the phrase:
A rising tide lifts all boats

I’ve said it multiple times in this thread, if ESPN wants to play hardball with ACC, specifically Clemson and Miami, that’s their prerogative. But it basically guarantees Miami and Clemson go to Big Ten ANnnnnnnD, completely devalues the rest of the conference. Plus if Clemson and Miami get enough acc teams to leave with them, they can leave with no exit fee

I’m done rehashing this stuff for now. Until new info becomes available I’ll be chillin.

But anyone that thinks the two outcomes are ACC stays intake with no raises or Miami pays a $500mm fee to leave is just plain stupid and is probably 39 years old working at Pollo Tropical living with their parents
I agree with you. I just don't think the ACC stays in place. Doubt the lower tier schools would approve unequal sharing in a way that allows the conference to survive. ESPN isnt gonna double the ACC deal to keep the best schools happy. Easier to just consilidate them in the SEC. Destroying the conference and renegotiating membership with a new one is probably more financially sound than unequal revenue sharing for the lower tier schools as well. They'd get more in the BIG 12 or a consolidated AAC than a shredded ACC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mods

IF this too closely matches other posted threads please feel free to delete it.

I thought it was very specific but..... whatever

There is a flaw in the logic in all these articles. They say independent means free to schedule. However, it also means free to be ignored. With the proposed schedule in the attached article, you get largely a collection of football turds.

There is a flaw in the logic in all these articles. They say independent means free to schedule. However, it also means free to be ignored. With the proposed schedule in the attached article, you get largely a collection of football turds.

Yeah heart says independent and take on all comers. But the risk cfb ******** us out of playoff bids is to great. I say Big, because I don’t see the treatment (officiating) in the sec being any different than the acc. ****, even the cpu’s screwed us out playing for a chip.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back