MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
For sake of argument, let's say

Miami sec
FSU sec
Clemson sec
NC St sec
UNC B1G

I believe you only need 8 votes to terminate the GOR. If the above is where things stand now, that means they only need 3 more schools to get a P2 conference invite. I don't know if ND gets a vote, if they do they'd vote in favor. So then that would mean just two more schools need invites. Maybe Duke and UVA to B1G, and it's over for the acc.
That’s exactly why the ACC is going to be strict about teams buying out. They don’t want their top programs leaving for other conferences. If the 247 articles are true, 500 million is a lot

I did state it would not generate more revenues for some programs, but for the collective overall. As you mention, schools have gone in and out of conferences for their own benefit. However, I would state it was also to give them stability of revenues in the down times. Miami was a cash cow as an independent when they were going to New Year's Bowl games every year and pocketing the money for themselves. They join the Big East to help their basketball program and sign a deal where football money is based on performance. In turn, they had some rougher years there in the probation years and money wasn't too accessible.

Along came the ACC and Miami knew it would get a solid revenue flow so they went for it. I wonder what happens when the next TV deal comes up after this one. First of all, do the Vandy's, Indiana's, and Northwestern's get kicked out because they don't add value? Do any current big timers get kicked out if they fall on hard times?

Btw, all of these statements on expected paydays are baseless and not fact as these new deals are all estimated for now. Let's see what comes out of them.

I'm just saying you could be surprised at the value that is out there if the Power 5 consolidated its content like the NFL has and broke it up amongst multiple broadcasters who would pay big bucks. The NFL is getting $10 billion a year for 32 teams. It would be interesting if the Power 5 and its roughly 70 teams could negotiate a similar deal and get $7 billion a year for much more programming than the NFL offers (albeit for a lower grade product) and would basically take 3 months of Saturdays during the year, along with Thursday and Friday nights.

None of these estimates are baseless. You think the schools and conferences are leading on this? It's the other way around. ESPN and FOX are telling schools what they will pay if they go out and do something. It's the tail wagging the dog. Maybe that info will help you understand what's happening here and why your plan doesn't make sense. Why would the top schools want to split TV revenue 70 ways when they can split it 40-50 ways? The bottom 20 teams that are being cut add very little incremental value to the TV rights deal. Get it now? See why the value of the 12 team Pac-12 and the 10 team Big-12 got decimated when they each lost only two teams? Because they each lost the two teams that provided roughly half the value to the broadcasters. It's not about the pot, its about each share of the pot.

Any updated news from the Gopher board? Gone dead quiet on that front.
Nothing on the Gopher board, but he did post this on Twitter a couple days ago:

While I'm a Miami grad, I grew up (and still am) a Gophers season ticket holder, so I follow them just as closely as I do the Canes. I get the skepticism for a random guy that isn't a mod on the Gopher board having information like this, but he's been way ahead of the media on a few different things (USC in discussions with the Big Ten, the date that the Big Ten would resume football in 2020, PJ Fleck to Minnesota, etc.) that he's earned credibility in my eyes. Doesn't mean he bats 100%, but nobody does.

Advertisement

While I'm a Miami grad, I grew up (and still am) a Gophers season ticket holder, so I follow them just as closely as I do the Canes. I get the skepticism for a random guy that isn't a mod on the Gopher board having information like this, but he's been way ahead of the media on a few different things (USC in discussions with the Big Ten, the date that the Big Ten would resume football in 2020, PJ Fleck to Minnesota, etc.) that he's earned credibility in my eyes. Doesn't mean he bats 100%, but nobody does.

Well he explicitly isn’t leaking on anything here, very much just giving his own personal opinion on how it shakes out. I was in the BIG boat myself initially but I’ve come around to the SEC being a more logical choice.

This is encouraging for those of us who prefer the B1G. Thank you for providing us with that perspective.

None of these estimates are baseless. You think the schools and conferences are leading on this? It's the other way around. ESPN and FOX are telling schools what they will pay if they go out and do something. It's the tail wagging the dog. Maybe that info will help you understand what's happening here and why your plan doesn't make sense. Why would the top schools want to split TV revenue 70 ways when they can split it 40-50 ways? The bottom 20 teams that are being cut add very little incremental value to the TV rights deal. Get it now? See why the value of the 12 team Pac-12 and the 10 team Big-12 got decimated when they each lost only two teams? Because they each lost the two teams that provided roughly half the value to the broadcasters. It's not about the pot, its about each share of the pot.
I agree with much of what you wrote, but you are missing my main point. If you're only looking out for what's individually best for you, it can be a detriment to the sport as a whole and eventually, you may not be one of the "chosen" ones. I would already say the unattractive schools in the Big 10 and SEC need to be a bit wary of their own futures. What's to keep them from being voted out like Temple was from the Big East years ago?

For the larger schools, you better stay competitive or come next TV deal, you could be on the outs. I'm just saying, take the negotiating edge away from the TV networks and look at what's best for the long-term success of your sport.

Advertisement
Well he explicitly isn’t leaking on anything here, very much just giving his own personal opinion on how it shakes out. I was in the BIG boat myself initially but I’ve come around to the SEC being a more logical choice.

Me too. Especially since the new SEC will have some things going for it academically and culturally over the old SEC. Texas is a great add. Would love for UNC to come along with Miami and Clemson. It just comes down to sensible geography. Rough travel for all sports (and be assured, we will have to expand our offerings whether we go SEC or B1G) and also what joining a northern conference would do for baseball. Baseball is a very successful and important part of our history.

I agree with much of what you wrote, but you are missing my main point. If you're only looking out for what's individually best for you, it can be a detriment to the sport as a whole and eventually, you may not be one of the "chosen" ones. I would already say the unattractive schools in the Big 10 and SEC need to be a bit wary of their own futures. What's to keep them from being voted out like Temple was from the Big East years ago?

For the larger schools, you better stay competitive or come next TV deal, you could be on the outs. I'm just saying, take the negotiating edge away from the TV networks and look at what's best for the long-term success of your sport.

I addressed your main point many posts ago, amigo. Feel free to scroll back.

Also there has not been a track record of schools being kicked out. That's just in your head. History and membership matter. No one has been kicking anyone out. Just jumping ship. In this incredibly turbulent time you haven't heard a single word about Indiana, Illinois, Vanderbilt etc. getting kicked out of anything. Once you're in, you're in.

Ok, I think we've made our points :)

Let's go get the Wayne kid today.

Me too. Especially since the new SEC will have some things going for it academically and culturally over the old SEC. Texas is a great add. Would love for UNC to come along with Miami and Clemson. It just comes down to sensible geography. Rough travel for all sports (and be assured, we will have to expand our offerings whether we go SEC or SECB1G) and also what joining a northern conference would do for baseball. Baseball is a very successful and important part of our history.
SEC also makes major sense for the premier ACC programs as ESPN owns the SEC network and would benefit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just my luck. To this day, no one has been able to give me a definitive answer as to whether or not the Tac Shaver is any good. Now I’ll probably never know.
Dunno about the Tac Shaver...but I have one of those movable triple led light things in my garage. It's like my garage is on the sun. Fantastic product often featured on ACC net.

The Grant of Rights contract leans more into employment law, and operates very similarly to a Non-Compete agreement that employers often ask key employees to sign.

When there is a lack of consideration within the contract as well as restriction of an employee in earning fair market compensation, there is a very strong precedent to scale back the terms if said agreement, and in some cases void the contract in its entirety.

Good points, but we're dealing with the "buy out fee" which sounds to be the equivalent of a liquidated damages fee. The fee needs to have a basis for it or it becomes a penalty and is unenforceable. The large fee seems like a number that the ACC selected for its own protection after Maryland left for the Big 10 and not a number reasonably calculated based on what it would lose should a team leave. I haven't read it, but if the fee is the same for everyone then its easier to make the argument that it's arbitrary. The ACC loses a lot more money if it loses Miami, Florida State or Clemson. It does not lose as much money if it loses Duke

Crazy numbers and definitely not realistic to be paid by anyone. Big factor is ESPN owning the ACC Network and the SEC Network. If they are behind / in agreement with ... Clemson / UM joining the SEC they can make it happen and moderate the economics so no program suffers. Believe the purpose of the GOR (besides trying to ensure the conference remains intact) is to ensure that the program members don't suffer a decrease in monies received due to members departing). ESPN is pretty much in the drivers seat in all of this.
I agree it’s not realistic to have to pay 10x more than any program ever has, BUT that is what the ACC desires from their exit free +GOR…

And those values I gave showing the difference in being in the SEC be the ACC are real. Over a decade and a half the difference is over half a billions dollars.

Advertisement
Back