MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I think we’d have a shot at both, especially the B1G. My thought is that the SEC has to pick their poison as to what’s worse - the B1G with a base in Miami and South Florida or Miami getting into the SEC and the loss of the use of the SEC brand value against Miami as a recruiting competitor???
I think TV and money is driving all these decisions vs recruiting and
Since Texas isn't playing in the SEC yet, Vandy is currently the only school that isn't in Hicksville. And whether the SEC wants to keeps Vandy is an open question.

Also, I know some pundits are saying UVA to the SEC, but it would be a strange addition. Sure it gets some of the DC market, but I don't think UVA has massive following and they aren't much of a football school. VT seems like it would be more SEC than UVA. I kinda feel sorry for Wake Forest, they actually try at football but might effectively end up being a G5.
Vanderbilt is a charter member of the SEC. They are one of the OGs. I don't think they're going anywhere.

Advertisement
I saw this yesterday. The video had great insight for sure.

If we leave and have to pay back the ACC for leaving, the extra money would be lost paying the ACC back.

I think there is a scenario where the ACC can remain intact, but a lot would have to go right.

ACC adds- Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, UCal, Standford, and SMU. Switch the conference name to the PACC (Pacific Atlantic Coastal Conference)

Benefits -

- Top 100 Academics
- National
- Add recruiting to TX, CA, Midwest, Oregon, And California,
- We don't need to pay to get out

Adding these teams will make FOX and ESPN battle it out to pay up.

There was a good article yesterday talking about a massive loophole for a few teams in the acc. Has to do with a competitive revenue clause. I don't know how it would hold up in court (I assume the acc would sue if a school tried to use it to escape) but theoretically it may be possible for a handful of schools to leave the acc without it costing hundreds of millions.

That's true, but they are adding another in USC. I'm just saying that the SEC hasn't gone the private school route yet.

It's a lot easier to win when you live in a state where voters are delighted to see state politicians shift highway maintenance funds to the football program.

There was a good article yesterday talking about a massive loophole for a few teams in the acc. Has to do with a competitive revenue clause. I don't know how it would hold up in court (I assume the acc would sue if a school tried to use it to escape) but theoretically it may be possible for a handful of schools to leave the acc without it costing hundreds of millions.

Luckily, if possible, we have the right people in place now to make it happen.

Advertisement
Real quick, Breakfast Club is a good watch. John Hughes had the 80’s down.

Why is FSU so toxic? Is it as simple as they simply are broke? Thankfully, Miami put the big boy pants a few months ago.

It's not about being toxic. It's about their strongholds being the SAME as Florida's. Just on an isolation basis, what does F$U bring that UF doesn't already deliver?

On the other hand, neither UF nor F$U are as strong in SoFla as Miami is. So Miami brings something different to the table.

And, as I've pointed out, Clemson "fixes" the South Carolina weakness (USC has largely sucked since joining the SEC), and the NC and VA schools are "new markets".

Those 6 schools push F$U down the pecking order.

COULD IT CHANGE? Sure. We really don't know whether the VA and NC schools would want to be separated IF IF IF they each were put in a good conference. The reason why the VA legislature fought for VaTech to go into the ACC was because the alternative (stuck in the Big East) was horrendous. But I think NC legislators would be fine with UNC in the Big 10 and NC State in the SEC...IF IF IF it broke that way. Same with VA legislators, if UVa went Big 10 and VaTech went SEC. Just make those schools promise to play each other, no biggie.

And, yes, to a degree, F$U put itself in this spot. If Jimbo was still in Tally, and the alums/boosters managed to build him the facilities he wanted, and the SemenHoles were still challenging for ACC titles, then maybe F$U WOULD be a more compelling product. But at this current time, there is a stench around F$U that has rubbed the shine off of Jimbo's crystal football.

We have to take our own emotions out of this. I've gone to every UM-F$U game (except 1) since 1986, I would love to have them in whatever conference we join. But right now, the F$U brand is not strong, and they really do not represent any new TV markets or huge TV markets. That's just honesty.

NYSOM is Mr. Kidd?

Actually, that photo is Mr. Wint.

NYSOM actually looks like Mr. Kidd:

1657249612610.png

Excellent point, no school in the SEC has more than two schools in the same state. BIG 12 had how many Texas schools at one point? How did that work out? Or how about California schools in the PAC 12?

BIG 10 has the most private schools, I believe, out of all the P5
Disregard that last part.
Like I know you edited it out but how did you even come up with that other than wiping your *** and typing it in

Advertisement
I think we’d have a shot at both, especially the B1G. My thought is that the SEC has to pick their poison as to what’s worse - the B1G with a base in Miami and South Florida or Miami getting into the SEC and the loss of the use of the SEC brand value against Miami as a recruiting competitor???
This is the equation.

(Apologies in advance for the long response)

I’m not sure if I read this or heard it on one of the talking head shows, but one suggestion was if the ACC & PAC-12 go belly up, schools like Stanford, Cal, Duke, Vandy & WF should tag on to the Ivy League to bring back notoriety there. The Focus would strictly be on D-I Baseball, Basketball, T&F, Water Sports, & de-emphasize FB by playing at the FCS level.

A lot of theories r being thrown out. However, I just want to remind the board, as I reminded another board, what we’re seeing today is nothing new. Back in the day, we had the Big East, WAC, Big 8, SWC, PAC-8.

Once upon a time the SWC was a power conference for yrs, & poof, they went in to obscurity.

The Big 8 became The B12, and then the Big 10 yrs later, although keeping the name as Big 12.

The $EC raided the Independent circuit for USCe, and the SWC for Arkansas, just to raid the B12 for Mizzou & TAMU several yrs later.

The Pac 8 started off w/ Cal, SC, WASU, UDub, UCLA, Stanford, UO, ORSt, just to poach AU & ASU from The WAC, and then yrs later, Utah from MWC & Colorado from the B12

B1G expanded from the Great Lakes region to the Far East, poaching Maryland from The ACC, Rutgers from the Big East, Penn St from the Independent Circuit, & now to the far West poaching UCLA & SC

ACC absolutely destroyed The Big East capturing us, BC, Pitt, & VT

Here’s my point; these merges, take overs, defections, foldings, however u want to classify it, they've been happening for yrs. It’s funny b/c I’m pretty sure I was one of, if not the first, to make the statement that CFB have always been about the have & have nots, & now that terminology has caught on & used all over. The fact is, this is all circular; it’s just w/ the type of capital involved, along w/ “market evaluations” placed on certain conferences, it’s become magnified x 100.

Imo, a lot of this was bound to happen, & I mean everything.
-U have the NCAA w/ one of the worst leaders doing absolutely chit as a Governing Body, allowing a cesspool brew w/ NIL.

-U have under qualified conference commissioners playing jacks, while other commissioners r seeing trends, playing chess.

-U have an ACC Commissioner who was the Blake James of P5 Commissioners absolutely handcuffing his conference to a bogus contract when we had the Kryptonite to Bama in Clemson, & two sleeping giants in Miami & FSU who had CFB by the nuts in their glory yrs.

-U have an indecisive PaC-12 Commissioner who couldn’t even make a decision on playing Football during Covid.

As I’ve stated, my little cousin works for ESPN, specifically on the NBA side. However, he’s privy to info as a producer. We just had lunch & he said it was inevitable for this to happen b/c it’s better for the networks. Instead of ESPN/Fox paying $1b for this conference, $250m for this conference, $300m for that conference, why not pay $1.2b for one conference w/ 20 teams? It’s a win/win; schools who were getting paid $17-20m or $45m are now getting $60m+ annually, while ESPN/Fox is saving $300m+/yr.

He also said, if The PAC-12 is not providing a CFP representative consistently, why pay? If the PAC-12 championship game has no bearing on CFP implications, why pay? If the ACC is sending only one team, where that title game is only a dress rehearsal for said team, then y pay? He did say, however, that our contract was dumb b/c we did have negotiating power w/ Clemson being a top dog in CFB & Duke/UNC being top dogs in b-ball. Of course I taught him well, which is, don’t sign chit for over 10 yrs UNLESS that Louis Vuitton Duffle Bag is being thrown at u.

All in all, it’s going to be a very interesting next couple of yrs. I live by the model of being proactive vs. reactive, and the best silver lining in all of this is we have an AD who’s just that, proactive.
Is that you @TheOriginalCane

While it is being discussed as to which schools should be added to which conference, there should a be separate discussion about which schools should be removed from their current conferences. For example Vanderbilt has no place in the sports world. I would even include Duke. Yes their basketball does well but this a football driven issue and like Vandy, they simply do not make the necessary investment to receive an equal piece of the revenue pie.
Washington State? Missouri? Utah? These schools also don't bring a TV market.
Right- one of the charter members of the SEC in one of the biggest cities in the SEC regardless of Fanbase size is going to be ceremoniously booted out despite the fact that they actually can be good in basketball in another sports they’ll clearly they are a doormat in football but every conference has a doormat

Advertisement
"Vanderbilt University is a private research university in Nashville, Tennessee."
I stated in my OP that they had 1 private school in Vandy, but in their previous expansions from the '90's to now, they have all been large public schools. The same could be said for the Big 10 up until USC.

Advertisement
Texas isn't even in the SEC yet, and nobody gives a **** about Vandy being in Nashville.
Jesus Cristo, I was making a joke, a bad joke, but still. Here was his post:

"UNC is also a departure from the SECs norm of wanting schools in backward a$$ hicktowns."

I was just pointing out that aside from Nashville and now Austin, there could be another in the research triangle in NC. Dang, keep your shorts on.

It's not about being toxic. It's about their strongholds being the SAME as Florida's. Just on an isolation basis, what does F$U bring that UF doesn't already deliver?

On the other hand, neither UF nor F$U are as strong in SoFla as Miami is. So Miami brings something different to the table.

And, as I've pointed out, Clemson "fixes" the South Carolina weakness (USC has largely sucked since joining the SEC), and the NC and VA schools are "new markets".

Those 6 schools push F$U down the pecking order.

COULD IT CHANGE? Sure. We really don't know whether the VA and NC schools would want to be separated IF IF IF they each were put in a good conference. The reason why the VA legislature fought for VaTech to go into the ACC was because the alternative (stuck in the Big East) was horrendous. But I think NC legislators would be fine with UNC in the Big 10 and NC State in the SEC...IF IF IF it broke that way. Same with VA legislators, if UVa went Big 10 and VaTech went SEC. Just make those schools promise to play each other, no biggie.

And, yes, to a degree, F$U put itself in this spot. If Jimbo was still in Tally, and the alums/boosters managed to build him the facilities he wanted, and the SemenHoles were still challenging for ACC titles, then maybe F$U WOULD be a more compelling product. But at this current time, there is a stench around F$U that has rubbed the shine off of Jimbo's crystal football.

We have to take our own emotions out of this. I've gone to every UM-F$U game (except 1) since 1986, I would love to have them in whatever conference we join. But right now, the F$U brand is not strong, and they really do not represent any new TV markets or huge TV markets. That's just honesty.
And right now it’s about survival (if you aren’t already in one of those two conferences). Gotta put feelings and wants aside. Miami’s primary goal needs to be entrance into one (regardless of fsu or anyone else).

Advertisement
Back