MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
I hear Indy is decent.
Daniel Craig GIF by James Bond 007

Ideally, I think UNC would pair with Duke. Politically, they may be forced to pair with NC State.
I always thought they’d prefer BIG bc of basketball and the BIG being more inclined to take Duke. Bc aren’t they about to come up on a new tv deal? That rivalry is worth millions. Would be another big selling point.

I don’t see the SEC ever taking Duke. They could care less about that rivalry. But I’m sure the SEC money is too good to pass up. They’ll find a way to keep Duke on the bball schedule regardless. To me it just seems odd that the SEC would take Carolina period. They’ve already had a footprint here for years, tv and recruiting.

Advertisement
Interesting that Florida is attempting to block Miami but not Florida state. You’d think they’d block both or none. It turns into the same “recruiting problem” for them. Point being, FSU being able to leverage being in the SEC with recruits.

Advertisement
Already posted...

Like with bringing HC Super Mario Cristobigballs, some folks will have the right insider info, others not so much.
I’m not believing anything that puts FSU in anywhere ahead of Miami. Logically it doesn’t add up when we all know this entire thing (realignment) revolves around one thing……. Money!

Miami is the elephant in the room market wise when comparing to FSU. It’s not even close.

And then others claiming “UF is trying to block Miami”. Lol!

Riiiight.. I’m sure the SEC cares what Gayville has to say when millions of dollars are on the board.

Interesting insight..

I saw this yesterday. The video had great insight for sure.

If we leave and have to pay back the ACC for leaving, the extra money would be lost paying the ACC back.

I think there is a scenario where the ACC can remain intact, but a lot would have to go right.

ACC adds- Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, UCal, Standford, and SMU. Switch the conference name to the PACC (Pacific Atlantic Coastal Conference)

Benefits -

- Top 100 Academics
- National
- Add recruiting to TX, CA, Midwest, Oregon, And California,
- We don't need to pay to get out

Adding these teams will make FOX and ESPN battle it out to pay up.

I’m not believing anything that puts FSU in anywhere ahead of Miami. Logically it doesn’t add up when we all know this entire thing (realignment) revolves around one thing……. Money!

Miami is the elephant in the room market wise when comparing to FSU. It’s not even close.

And then others claiming “UF is trying to block Miami”. Lol!

Riiiight.. I’m sure the SEC cares what Gayville has to say when millions of dollars are on the board.

The SEC will leave any meeting with UF early and wipe their *** with what they say.

Advertisement
Capitalism and federalism. I am a big fan of both, however we are here because of both.

If the NCAA was a more powerful central authority, it's unlikely this all happens, at least in this way. Instead of dictating to FOX and ESPN, they're seeing the individual entities break away and behave in their own best interests. Instead, member institutions (or constituencies) are brokering their own deals, like individual states forming trade agreements with other nations. I don't fault them for it, but I can also say it's harmful to what I value most about the sport.

I was daydreaming today about what the sport would've looked like with a stronger NCAA, but then I remembered we had that before and it was predictably oppressive. The Supreme Court rightly said in NCAA v OU that they couldn't stop TV deals from happening, which forever altered power dynamics in college athletics. Nearly 40 years later here we are.

So you are correct. This is just another round of the local burger joint becoming a chain restaurant, only this time it's worth 100 mil/year.
Yup. And inevitably the product becomes diluted. Just a question of how and how much. This was an inevitable outcome.

Apparently, you weren't paying attention when you were on campus(It's obvious you never attended) otherwise you would know that Dr. Shalala left the University in far better shape than what she inherited. She raised BILLIONS for the University. BILLIONS. She was able to leverage her contacts to get UHealth revved up, the revenue produced is now giving Frenk the tools needed to build a world class athletic department.

I sometimes fall into the trap of heavily scapegoating Shalala, but if I'm trying to be objective, all in all she was a typical school president. Some stuff worked, some stuff didn't.

In terms of finances, the hospital purchase was initially a disaster but now looks it has helped play a big part in turning UM football around due to the overflowing coffers (covid helped).

In terms of academics, UM climbed the rankings significantly. That's a big plus. UM has dropped in the rankings in recent years , but you can't deny Shalala focused on turning UM into a premier research university. Crazy as it may sound, her emphasis on academics and research may end up playing a significant part in saving UM football. As someone else pointed out, given that UM **** itself for most of its time the ACC, if we also had Clemsons crappy academics right now, chances are good that UM would be a lot further down on the P2s list of desirable schools- especially the B1G's. We are well positioned right now because UM is viewed as a school with solid academics and a football program with incredible potential now that it's spending money on sports.

There is no denying that UM was cheap and didn't spend $$$ on HCs like other programs. Coker got hired because Alvarez turned down the job. Maybe if Alvarez takes the job, UMs has a vastly different trajectory. Shannon was an egregious mistake and probably is most responsible for UMs decline. In retrospect, Golden was a poor choice, but he was viewed as an A+ hire by most football analysts at the time. UF and FSU both recently hired their own version of Golden and they think hit grand slams. She wasn't responsible for the lazy hire of Richt or Diaz.

She deserves a lot of criticism, but I think it's unfair to ignore some of the things she did that have put UM in an excellent position today to join a conference that will put more than $100 million per year into the schools bank account.

Advertisement
Fsu is as highly ranked as Miami lately as amazing as that may sound
While for UM and FSU game rivalry I wish this true FSU does not compare to UM in academics. Not even close. Florida is considered academically a much tougher school to get into and the Gators also do not compare to the U. This shows you how far down the pole FSU really is. I actually feel for the Seminoles as they are in a terrible situation. As a Cane fan 1st I’m a State of Florida fan 2nd as this bodes ill for the State of Florida football.

All I know is I'm glad we have Radakovich as our AD and not Blake James during this realignment chaos.
Bruh…. Just thinking this ****. Wit Blake, I’d be scared that we’d be in line to be the big dogs in the Sun Belt. Glad we got competent adults running things now.

Advertisement
Back