MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I can only repeat what I said, its not about personal feelings or relationships, its about money. Every single change in conferences in these days is about money and money only and personal vendettas will only cause lost money.
And I agree that all this "realignment" is about money. But when it's time to play the games that's different. As the SEC, you've secured Miami and the payday that comes with them, cool. But that doesn't mean that you have to treat them the same as bama. We've seen it with the ACC...they want wat Miami can provide, but that doesn't mean they'll treat us the same. Because there's a ton of room between letting a school (and their money) into your conference, and showing them the same respect you show the OGs. The ACC has never kept us from being competitive, we did that to ourselves, but they sure a sh*t haven't shown us the same respect as they show to Duke and UNC. And the same will be true of the SEC or B1G should we join up. They'll always treat us as the step-child. That won't stop us from winning, but it will stop our new conference from being home.

Advertisement
Oh good lord what a dopey post.

She hired Blake James. Yep.

It is also well-documented that the oversized fake-fundraising check from Nevin Shapiro was a surprise move that Donna didn't expect.

And thanks for telling us that the UHealth system that Donna acquired "had zero to do with her". Shalala started cutting costs at UHealth in 2012, but please keep deluding us into a false story about the turnaround having "zero to do with her".

You want to hate her, that's on you. Just don't lie and say that she "sold Miami to the ACC".
Yeah, there's plenty to criticize, but folks get all up in this theory that she single-handedly ruined football. First off, there's plenty of blame for that, and it's probably worth looking closer to the field on that one. Second, how does nobody remember our latest tussle with the NCAA? We were big-f*cked, and she weaseled us out of a lot of that. Dont delude yourself into thinking the NCAA backed off because they had no proof...when has that ever mattered to them? She went at them hard and convinced them they'd lose more than they'd gain if they didn't wrap sh*t up and give us half the punishment they'd been talking about.

But hey, go ahead and neg me and scream about how she ruined everything. Because, as usual, the truth is more complicated and tougher to swallow. Miami failed on many levels like so many schools have the last 20 years. What we're seeing is a few teams figured out how to run a program like a cut-throat business and have dominated. The rest of us sat here acting like it was still 1992, and we've seen the results on the field. So yeah, she should have done better, but she's not the f*cking boogyman.

I was listening to a podcast where three guys were discussing the changing landscape in conference alignments ... the topic of the ACC and the GOR was tabled and one gentleman who was located in Charlotte said "The GOR agreement with the ACC is MALLEABLE. It includes a variety of PERFORMANCE CLAUSES and some of the agreements (apparently different schools have different agreements?) include a COMPETITIVE REVENUE CLAUSE. According to that ... if a program is receiving LESS in TV money from the ACC than SIMILAR PROGRAMS or lesser programs in other conferences, then they have the ability to leave the conference without penalty. You can be sure Radakovich is aware of every sentence in the UM and Clemson agreements and is working with the UM legal staff to be in a position to exercise whatever rights UM has. Interesting.

You are assuming Blake James was smart enough to include that competitive revenue clause in UMs contract. That's a leap of faith I can't take. Hopefully I am wrong and he exceeded my low expectations.

You are assuming Blake James was smart enough to include that competitive revenue clause in UMs contract. That's a leap of faith I can't take.

If you compare the FIRST Grant of Rights to the later one, the extension is CLEARLY much more detailed, and probably as a result of bringing in Notre Dame, plus the fallout from Maryland leaving and the other realignment that has happened.

Advertisement
The last time we did this ish it didn’t work out so well for us. We had it made in the Big Easy but instead of secretly working to expand we did what we are apparently doing now.
IIRC, the last time we did it, Shalala and Dee thought it was more important to get a guaranteed amount than to be compensated based on performance. With the Big East Deal, we received the majority of any bowl money or network earnings. With the ACC, a much larger portion went into the ACC pot which was evenly distributed to all member schools. That included basketball tournament money.

In the Big East, if we didn't get in a New Year's bowl, there was a financially lean year. Not so with the ACC, we made the same regardless. The ACC insulated us from sucking. Once that was secured, the admin got lazy.

There was no saving the Big East, it was then and always will be a basketball conference. When Penn State went Big 10, BC, Pitt, and Syracuse threatened to leave the Big East because they realized they couldn't survive as independents. Bringing us in (along with others), was a last-ditch effort to cobble together a football conference preventing the inevitable collapse. Given the current developments, I shudder what to think if UM remained there.

IIRC, the last time we did it, Shalala and Dee thought it was more important to get a guaranteed amount than to be compensated based on performance. With the Big East Deal, we received the majority of any bowl money or network earnings. With the ACC, a much larger portion went into the ACC pot which was evenly distributed to all member schools. That included basketball tournament money.

In the Big East, if we didn't get in a New Year's bowl, there was a financially lean year. Not so with the ACC, we made the same regardless. The ACC insulated us from sucking. Once that was secured, the admin got lazy.

There was no saving the Big East, it was then and always will be a basketball conference. When Penn State went Big 10, BC, Pitt, and Syracuse threatened to leave the Big East because they realized they couldn't survive as independents. Bringing us in (along with others), was a last-ditch effort to cobble together a football conference preventing the inevitable collapse. Given the current developments, I shudder what to think if UM remained there.
Seems like you’re contradicting yourself here.

A) On one hand, the BE was a dead-end basketball conference that would’ve been disastrous for us to stay in. Every team has down years—sometimes down decades, even—and it would’ve been impossible for us to maintain a thriving athletic department over the long haul.

B) On the other hand, Dee and Shalala sold us out for a guaranteed paycheck and then stopped caring whether we actually had a healthy athletic department.

Seems likely to me that (A) is correct. (B) sounds like the gripe of angry fans of a team that was bound to hit a stretch of mediocrity regardless of what conference we were in.

So we handcuffed ourselves to those people for an extra nine years in order to share a cable network with the Pac [insert current number]?

****, I think we did better when we were independent.

Kept ALL our money - and other teams paid pretty well to play us. And we played everywhere!

We haven't done very well since joining the ACC. Fact.

And while the Big East was not much of a conference - we sure won some National Championships while there . . .

Advertisement
****, I think we did better when we were independent.

Kept ALL our money - and other teams paid pretty well to play us. And we played everywhere!

We haven't done very well since joining the ACC. Fact.

And while the Big East was not much of a conference - we sure won some National Championships while there . . .

Do you think teams are going to pay us $10M a game ish as an independent? If so, that’s the move.

Seems like you’re contradicting yourself here.

A) On one hand, the BE was a dead-end basketball conference that would’ve been disastrous for us to stay in. Every team has down years—sometimes down decades, even—and it would’ve been impossible for us to maintain a thriving athletic department over the long haul.

B) On the other hand, Dee and Shalala sold us out for a guaranteed paycheck and then stopped caring whether we actually had a healthy athletic department.

Seems likely to me that (A) is correct. (B) sounds like the gripe of angry fans of a team that was bound to hit a stretch of mediocrity regardless of what conference we were in.
No contradiction.
  • A - The carrot the ACC put in front of us to motivate a change.
  • B - The decisions UM made once the change was made. Miami was not bound to anything. It was a self-imposed starting with poor coaching hires, continuing through a series of ineffectual ADs, under investment in facilities, and lack of support from the BOT.

**** near every entrepreneur who ever made it big almost went bankrupt (and some actually went bankrupt) before they made their millions.

To you, I suppose that classifies them as failures.
You don't even know a **** thing of what happened back then. I worked at Jackson. My former roommate at U worked under Shalala.. ... i have first hand knowledge of the idiocy of that woman and her agenda.

And stop with the entrepreneur stuff... this was none of that. Just a bureaucratic crap that she pushed us into.... that literally blew up in her face.

Advertisement
No contradiction.
  • A - The carrot the ACC put in front of us to motivate a change.
  • B - The decisions UM made once the change was made. Miami was not bound to anything. It was a self-imposed starting with poor coaching hires, continuing through a series of ineffectual ADs, under investment in facilities, and lack of support from the BOT.
Specifically what decisions would’ve been different had Miami stayed in the BE?

Do you think Shalala would not have lobbied for Shannon if we were still in the BE? Or not hired Golden? Do you think the BOT would have been “hungrier” to hire a better AD than Eichorst? Do you think somehow Shalala and the BOT would’ve saved the OB?

IMO, it seems sketchy to believe anything would’ve been any different. Bad hires were made—it happens at the best of programs. Putting the athletic dept in the best-possible position for long-term financial viability did little-to-nothing to change those hires or the situation surrounding our facilities.

Advertisement
The CFP will look much different in the coming years than it does now. IMO if the SEC gets to 20 teams, or more, they may drop all involvement in the CFP altogether and just play in an SEC only league. You win the SEC? You're the national champion. I don't care what the other 110 FBS teams do, knock yourselves out. We're rich over here.
BREAKING NEWS:

Southwest Conference and Big East in late stage talks for merger.

We are dead if we continue in this Conference run by mediocrity
If somehow the ACC/GOR holds everything together and we're "dead" as you say, what's the impact on recruiting (the recruits MC has already landed, plus futures)? How many would want to play in an ACC that would be a lower tier league to the SEC and B1G, with no shot at a NC? We gotta move; sooner the better.

Advertisement
Back