MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I was on my lunch break just now and was bored so I started working on some possible realignment scenarios. Once you start looking at the teams, I do not see how the ACC makes it out of this alive (which is well known). As well, Power 3 makes more sense than Power 4. At some point the Pac 10 and Big 12 are going to need to join up. I ran four possible scenarios. Obviously they are not perfect as I spent maybe 30 minutes, if that, on them. Teams highlighted in yellow are from G5

Scenario #1 "Power 5" - Conservative: Expansion stops due to high buyouts, ND holding things up etc.
1657127044828.png

Scenario #2 "Power 3" - Scenario I see most likely happening. Could easily sub Memphis and SMU for San Diego St and UNLV. I put in UNLV and San Diego St because they both are in attractive TV markets and play in new stadiums.
1657127144807.png

Scenario #3 "Power 4"
1657127197225.png

Scenario # 4 "Power 3 #2" - Notre Dame remains independent and schools in the same state are forced to move conferences together like Oregon and Oregon State which has been rumored as a possible hiccup.

1657127319794.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Are you suggesting a better cultural fit with Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, and Minnesota, all of which might as well be Neptune?

I am very much a Latin American and my only affiliation here is the state of Florida.

I just can't help laughing at this "cultural" commentary.
The "culture club' is just CIS trying to come off as intelligent.

The fact is Miami doesn't fit in with any conference in the country. Miami is unique unto itself, it's one of a kind, that's why Miami is Miami.

Any one, any time, any place.

I stand corrected. UNC's stadium has a capacity of 50k not 48k. But this ain't exactly a glowing endorsement...

View attachment 196219

Yes sir, just like the Hard Rock renovation, they made improvements to the fan experience which shrank the number of seats by getting rid of outdated temporary bleachers that allow you to pack people in like sardines. They still virtually sell out every game (~97%). They are top 3 in the ACC or better pretty much each year in capacity percentage sold. Now give them $100M a year in TV money to invest in the program and an attractive B!G/SEC schedule, I guarantee you there is a stadium expansion in their future. As stated, they had a 7 year run of consecutive sellouts when the stadium was bigger. They sold out every single game but ONE when Butch was HC when the stadium was bigger. All of this while wasting away in the 2nd tier ACC. Lots of potential. Sleeping giant. I'd be a buyer.

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 1.02.37 PM.png

Ridiculous example. Did you expect the other 13 SEC teams to deny Texas, the crown jewel of teams the SEC could get and a massive, massive money generator admission because TAMU wanted regional exclusivity? That's actually why everyone gets a vote, to keep petty, selfish wants by one school from preventing what is best for the conference from being achieved.

The money, rights, and everything else are equal, by rule. Once you're in, you're in. We get what Alabama gets. Which is the same thing Vandy gets.

I'll ask you again, what unfair treatment are you worried about homie?
Putting a salary cap on NIL agreements. Making things more difficult for Ruiz. Forcing teams to go underground with bags. Clemson or FSU may be fine with that. But do you think the SEC will run interference for us with the NCAA?

That's not to say any of that will happen. But speculatively that's what some may be thinking.

Listen, I understand the sentiment towards the programs in the SEC, the SEC itself and Greg Sankey.

However, all these moves and the plans of these superconferences are being done with one thing in mind: Money. Not because of personal relations, not because it looks nicer, its all about the money. And they leave that money on the table letting teams join and then restricting them and making them uncompetitve.

We will join the SEC. And if we are not competitive there, it will not be because of them. And by no means am I a SEC lover, I just don't see how a conference would add teams to maximize money and then make these teams uncompetitve which would result in boring, easy-to-predict games.
I think you're being naive if you don't expect the SEC to err on the side of protecting bama/UGA. It's not that they will want us to suck, but I can't see them being happy if we turn out to be one of their top teams. We all know when something doesn't go saban's way he whines about the rules and tries to change them, so I'd expect him to be against us if we look threatening. He'll try to bring Kirby and everybody else with him, and it goes without saying the SEC is going to take anything he says very seriously.

Advertisement
Also, if you think about it, the power dynamics are changing as the SEC gets bigger. This is what has happened in the SEC just in the time since I started college:

1966-1991 - 10-team SEC - 4 states with 1 school only, 3 states with 2 schools each (AL, MS, TN, and let's not act like Vandy has a lot of power)
1991 - 12-team SEC - 6 states with 1 school only, 3 states with 2 schools each
2012 - 14-team SEC - 8 states with 1 school only, 3 states with 2 schools each
2025 so far - 16-team SEC - 9 states with 1 school only, 4 states with 2 schools each (AL, MS, TN, TX)

Until now, Florida has resisted UM/F$U because they did not want to lose pre-eminence in the SEC. In the 1980s, Texas was the 3rd largest state and Florida was the 7th largest state (by population), and now those states are #2 and #3. So there are demographic reasons for having multiple SEC teams in FL and TX (and if the SEC could get rid of Vandy, I think they would).

At the same time, the SEC has grown and Florida has made allies that will help them to neutralize any possible political/power combo of UM/F$U, which might have been harder to do in 1991.

And we should also realize that Florida has been cycling through Presidents, and Foley is no longer ruling the Athletic Department with an iron fist. So maybe the UM/FSU hate has subsided a bit in Hogtown administrative circles, at least enough to allow us to squeeze in.
So they've added 6 schools and only one was from a state already represented. AND, that state only got a team in a few years ago.

uf has been around long enough that it'll be tough to overcome their opposition. Maybe the backroom dealing gets it done, but uf will fight like **** to stop it. Now we'll see how much the SEC thinks of those clowns.

Putting a salary cap on NIL agreements. Making things more difficult for Ruiz. Forcing teams to go underground with bags. Clemson or FSU may be fine with that. But do you think the SEC will run interference for us with the NCAA?

That's not to say any of that will happen. But speculatively that's what some may be thinking.

I hear you. "Putting a salary cap on NIL" and "forcing teams to go underground with bags" (you are saying restricting NIL by default) are both violations of the constitution of the United States of America as last year's unanimous (my god) ruling by the SCOTUS affirmed. Which is why we have NIL now. They cut the NCAA's balls off. It's no different for conference leadership. You have a right to work in this free society of ours. They can't.

Advertisement
I'm tired of the irrational attacks on Shalala.

What were our options? HONESTLY?

The Big East was garbage, particularly on the money side. The ACC money was fantastic, and we have not "never won the conference" because of the refs. Plus, we've won the conference in basketball and baseball, so it's obvious that we have a FOOTBALL problem, not an "ACC" or an "ACC refs" problem.

The SEC was not going to take UM in the 2000s. The Big 10 was not going to take UM in the 2000s. And I have been predicting the demise of the Big 12 since the 2000s, because their business model (overreliance on Texas) was insane.

So please stop with "the treasure troll sold us to the ACC for big money" stuff. It was the best possible move at the time. SERIOUSLY, what were our alternatives? I'm really curious here.
Glad that you’re tired of it. If you don’t like me giving my opinion, please put me on ignore.

She was responsible for the hiring of Blake James, and supported and encouraged his tyrannical and horrible regime every step of the way. She neutered our athletics department, and took the check from that shytbag Nevin Shapiro all too quickly and happily. She was a big reason why all of our sports went to ****.

I know that you and a couple of the other guys on this board think that you’re the most intelligent human beings alive, and that you’re never wrong. But everything that woman touched while at the U went to ****.

The fact that UHealth is now making lots of money had zero to do with her, as she had already been gone for a good while.

She’s a **** stain in UM’s history.

Texas had a schedule as well. But their move was timed on the GOR.

I believe a Miami departure would be 2025 at the soonest anyway. If this even happens. But hey…. Just my 2 cents.
But the Big 12 didn't announce a complete restructure of the conference and schedule right before Texas decided to jump ship. As for now, Miami is settling into the ACC. I think it will be a year or two before Miami decides to make a move

I hear you. "Putting a salary cap on NIL" and "forcing teams to go underground with bags" (you are saying restricting NIL by default) are both violations of the constitution of the United States of America as last year's unanimous (my god) ruling by the SCOTUS affirmed. Which is why we have NIL now. They cut the NCAA's balls off. It's no different for conference leadership. You have a right to work in this free society of ours. They can't.
True but it's not about restricting the right to work. It's about maintaining "competitive balance" NFL style.

Give the lawyers time and they'll be able to craft language that provides the veneer of legitimacy.

Advertisement
It’ll be interesting to see what TV deal the PAC-12 can get. If they get the right TV deal, they “may” be OK, & I can absolutely see them bringing over Fresno St, San Diego St, Utah State, & UNLV.

Actually the winner in all of this craziness are some solid, underrated G5 schools. They r allowed to get poached by bigger conferences, getting more $$, which will result in better recruiting opportunities.

Advertisement
I know that it will never happen, but if we are going to 2 (or eventually 1) super conferences, it would cool if they introduced relegation.

If we join the SEC, I think it will only be a matter of time before they pass a "Ruiz Rule". You are right that salary caps are a no go, but there are other ways we can get screwed. For example, the NIL deals have to be "fair market value." The conference leadership could constantly challenge Ruiz's NIL deals and say he is paying over FMV so the player won't be eligible, while giving the collectives a pass. They could say that a Lifewallet deal for 8 million for a 4 star QB is far above his FMV, but that a Tennessee collective deal for a 5 star QB in the amount of 10 mil accurately reflects his FMV. Even if they allow for an appeal and ultimately allow the Ruiz deals, they could still kneecap UM by dragging their feet and scaring recruits, who know that NIL deals from Miami supporters will be challenged.

Sec could also ***** UM by claiming a Ruiz deal is an "inducement" to attend UM and thus violates the NIL rules. Of course they will say the same deal for a player going to Bama wouldn't be an inducement because Bamas program is so attractive that recruits would play for Bama for free.

SEC wants UM to be good, but not so good it starts winning the conference consistently and knocking off the blue bloods.

As another poster said, the SEC will claim it is only trying to ensure that NIL deals are legitimate and they aren't intentionally screwed Miami. It's the fig leaf of legitimacy.

Are you suggesting a better cultural fit with Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, and Minnesota, all of which might as well be Neptune?

I am very much a Latin American and my only affiliation here is the state of Florida.

I just can't help laughing at this "cultural" commentary.

the student body of UM is very diff from the greater miami pop. there are a ton of NE kids and out of state that attend UM. this is the same for schools like UMich (who get a ton of Chicago and NY kids), NWestern, Wisky, Maryland, etc. Miamis overall student body pop fits in with the b10 schools than ti does w the SEC schools. thats what we mean about cultural

Read the article in the Raleigh News-Observer today about the implosion of the ACC....sounds like it's OVER. Swofford lost the handle ending up like an Emmert/NCAA. Hope UM is on top.of this mess.

Advertisement
Back