MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
You would have thought that being out of action for a long sabbatical would have created a bit of rust and maybe a slow grind to full speed but NO....this break clearly invigorated and refocused the Sensei. He has sharpened his iron and is ready for anything anyone can throw at him. I feel for those who may unwittingly wonder into his path.

1711995986840.png

That's the deadline for ESPN to extend. If you bust up the ACC while ESPN still has the option available, then they can sue

That is correct.

However, I'd point out that the ACC Commissioner gave a unilateral extension to ESPN, something NOT voted on by the general membership.

Soooo...a court may very well find that ESPN no longer has any time to exercise the option.

I believe there IS a case that, even if the P2 each add two ACC programs, there is a strong case that Miami will be in that mix. What does UM offer:

1. AAU ... and Clemson is way down the list of even sniffing AAU while FSU is very close.
2. TV market ... large market in South Florida ... and even take in the regions that B10 alums
are moving to ... Orlando to Key West ... both coasts. Huge B10 country.
3. Brand Recognition. UM is still a huge draw and what Mario has been doing has gotten
recruit attention. A 247 survey of 2000 D1 recruits last Summer had UM in #4 out of 10,
ahead of FSU, in hot football brands.
4. Rivalry games ... the B10 values those games because they draw NATIONAL ATTENTION
and can be marketed. Miami / FSU; Catholics and Convicts; UM / Nebraska etc.

I could see a situation in which UNC / Clemson end up in the SEC and FSU / Miami end up in the B10. Those are THE TOP 4 period. Any involvement of NcState / UVA / Va Tech would be all politics. It really is up to UM to make sure THEY WANT out and the let the B10 know it ... get some back channelled confirmations and FILE a legal action. If we get lucky and get 8 votes to dissolve, fine, no exit cost. If not, we are at least initiating the move OUT the door.

I believe there IS a case that, even if the P2 each add two ACC programs, there is a strong case that Miami will be in that mix. What does UM offer:

1. AAU ... and Clemson is way down the list of even sniffing AAU while FSU is very close.
2. TV market ... large market in South Florida ... and even take in the regions that B10 alums
are moving to ... Orlando to Key West ... both coasts. Huge B10 country.
3. Brand Recognition. UM is still a huge draw and what Mario has been doing has gotten
recruit attention. A 247 survey of 2000 D1 recruits last Summer had UM in #4 out of 10,
ahead of FSU, in hot football brands.
4. Rivalry games ... the B10 values those games because they draw NATIONAL ATTENTION
and can be marketed. Miami / FSU; Catholics and Convicts; UM / Nebraska etc.

I could see a situation in which UNC / Clemson end up in the SEC and FSU / Miami end up in the B10. Those are THE TOP 4 period. Any involvement of NcState / UVA / Va Tech would be all politics. It really is up to UM to make sure THEY WANT out and the let the B10 know it ... get some back channelled confirmations and FILE a legal action. If we get lucky and get 8 votes to dissolve, fine, no exit cost. If not, we are at least initiating the move OUT the door.
I don't agree that filing a suit is a prerequisite to getting out (there's a lot of ways this can play out), but I agree with the rest. Like you stated, we have a lot to offer the B10, and as far as I know some back channelling (albeit I can't speak to anything super recent) has happened.

Advertisement
That is correct.

However, I'd point out that the ACC Commissioner gave a unilateral extension to ESPN, something NOT voted on by the general membership.

Soooo...a court may very well find that ESPN no longer has any time to exercise the option.
Not only may find the option void but I would say 99% probability even if is the NC judge who has been hearing the ACC suit. He was very focused on the point of the "vote to approve the ACC suit by members AFTER THE FACT", and the fact that the ACC conference president and administration were not abiding by the bylaws.

hes an FSU clown doing clickbait for the most part on his new general show- FSU is in a bubble of delusion even as they have valid legal arguments simultaneously going on that can potentially lead to what they/all want.
The delusion is palpable. They assume they are going 13-0 again this year, make the CFP, and then when they move to ?? The B10 ... they will be the dominant program. Looking forward to the game at Hard Rock this year.

Advertisement
hes an FSU clown doing clickbait for the most part on his new general show- FSU is in a bubble of delusion even as they have valid legal arguments simultaneously going on that can potentially lead to what they/all want.
That all may be true but he brings up the 8 votes prior to July 1st concept.

That all may be true but he brings up the 8 votes prior to July 1st concept.
right - but that was brought up last year- so the question is do they now have 8 votes (assuming NC law applies about simple majority in a non profit corp since nothing specific on dissolution exists in the bylaws) that have a wink and nod comfortability on having a landing spot somewhere (which they clearly didn't have last year) now that the CFP payouts and all the info has come out from the suits or even additional votes willing to roll the dice with all the new info. Big question. Tend to doubt it but we can hope.

People want us to file suit because it would be a public signal and proof that we're taking some sort of action on the re-alignment issue. It's a comforting action, not one that would necessarily assist us (in this moment at least) in making our way to the P2.

We've certainly done things behind the scene (again, there are a very tight group of people who are running the show on this issue and they do not leak). However, I understand the impatience on this issue, especially when one of our biggest rivals is a bull in the china shop on this. If we filed suit against the ACC today, much of the complaint would be identical to FSU's. It wouldn't be surprising for such a case to be consolidated. What happens with that FSU case is important to us.

However, there's a few pathways to leaving this conference. A suit isn't a prerequisite to getting out of it and moving to the P2. Could we ultimately file a suit against the ACC? Sure, it can definitely happen. As things stand though, I'm not expecting it anytime soon.
It wouldn’t be so bad if Rad hadn’t made the statements he has recently, where he is gurgling the ACCs balls in his mouth

Last edited:
That is correct.

I'd prefer to get out sooner rather than later, like most everyone else. Our program is already on the rise, but imagine what will happen to our recruiting and investment/interest in our program if & when we announce that we're joining the SEC or the Big 10.

Advertisement
I don't agree that filing a suit is a prerequisite to getting out (there's a lot of ways this can play out), but I agree with the rest. Like you stated, we have a lot to offer the B10, and as far as I know some back channelling (albeit I can't speak to anything super recent) has happened.

I'm still baffled why you guys seem convinced that the Big 10 is our only path and you seem to completely disregard or forget about the SEC.

Sure the Big 10 might be a good fit, but SEC was all the talk in the beginning for a reason IMO.

It would t be so bad if Rad hadn’t made the statements he has recently, where he is gurgling the ACCs balls in his mouth

If you want a clean divorce from your wife, you don’t live stream yourself calling her a c*** while spray painting her car.

You let the attorneys hash out the material details behind closed doors.

Advertisement
I'm still baffled why you guys seem convinced that the Big 10 is our only path and you seem to completely disregard or forget about the SEC.

Sure the Big 10 might be a good fit, but SEC was all the talk in the beginning for a reason IMO.
I’ve said since the beginning off this whole realignment discussion that the SEC is unlikely to want us. This is from someone who I trust and know is informed on this, and has contacts in the SEC’s HQ. A few reasons for this, mostly on the basis of increased competition for recruiting and certain teams not wanting us in.

This isn’t discounting the possibility. There’s scenarios where it could happen, but the B10 is a much much more likely option.

I’m still baffled why you think this is more than a 10% chance despite tons of info, rumors, and history.

To be clear I’m fine with it but if you give me actual cash odds my money would not be going on that for so many reasons

If true this would certainly expedite the process of dismantling the current ACC.
Sunbelt here we come!!!

Get to know our new home here:

A deeper dive:

My predicted rivals for Miami:

App State and Coastal Carolina...

Advertisement
Back