MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
What happens to those sports who play a significant number of season games?

Rutger-Maryland-Penn State-Wash-Oregon-UCLA-USC are going to make all these bi-coastal trips?

Especially no direct flights?

🕘🕘🕘🕘🕘🕘🕘🕘🕘🕘🕘🕘 and 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
There will be many issues to deal with in this blind money grab. Most sports are not played just once a week like football. As big a win as this is for football and being able to afford nicer facilities, coaching staffs, etc., the vast majority of non-football student-athletes will have it more difficult, especially in the classroom. Yes, just a reminder these are "college" sports after all.

Not to mention the bowl tie-ins that need to be adjusted. My personal fave is the beloved Rose Bowl. The entire college football world had to bend backward to get the Big 10 and PAC 12 to keep the Rose Bowl as a Big 10 champ vs. PAC 12 champ game as often as possible for those conferences to join the BCS and then playoff. All the talk about the "Granddaddy of them all" and the tradition of the Big10/PAC 12 matchup for decades undone by its own members.

Advertisement
There will be many issues to deal with in this blind money grab. Most sports are not played just once a week like football. As big a win as this is for football and being able to afford nicer facilities, coaching staffs, etc., the vast majority of non-football student-athletes will have it more difficult, especially in the classroom. Yes, just a reminder these are "college" sports after all.

Not to mention the bowl tie-ins that need to be adjusted. My personal fave is the beloved Rose Bowl. The entire college football world had to bend backward to get the Big 10 and PAC 12 to keep the Rose Bowl as a Big 10 champ vs. PAC 12 champ game as often as possible for those conferences to join the BCS and then playoff. All the talk about the "Granddaddy of them all" and the tradition of the Big10/PAC 12 matchup for decades undone by its own members.
The landscape changed. Optimizing prime time viewing slots with marquee games that bring 4 million viewers per game and up the the TV math that dominates target conference makeup. The Bowl games will be "re-assigned" as the new conference and playoff architecture is laid out by the media partners, and signed off by the conferences, to get their money.

U-DubU Prez on sports radio last night.

Basically and barely politely, she called Scott and Kliavkoff incompetent.

"...I have a responsibility to the University of Washington, not the PAC-12. The best part of the deal presented by the Commissioner [Kliakoff] was an opt-out clause after 2 years. That tells you everything you need to know about what choice we had..."

So when is the big announcement coming of FSU and Miami to the Big Ten?

I'm anxiously awaiting how Tallahassee lawyers are getting out of an irrevocable assignment. Lol.
Pause Affirmations GIF by Selfpause: Positive Affirmation App

Advertisement
I have been a canes fan since 1991 when I moved to Miami. Suffered through so many bad years and my kids laugh my yearly optimism, the oldest born in 2004. (Moved to LA in 2006 so they are not really from Miami.

If the Canes don’t land in the Big or SEC I am done. It is over. No more hope in the string of bad coaches and lack of dedication. No more hope in Rad, Mario or Zo.
The Canes as an elite program would be finished. I would rather sign the 60 ranked class and finish 3-9 than get left out of the P2. Being in one of those 2 conferences is our only shot to get #6.

Relax, Mario is interviewing all conferences to find elite human beings and a culture fit. Will come down to physicality = Miami to B1G…

Gattis hiring was foreshadowing.😎

♟️

The landscape changed. Optimizing prime time viewing slots with marquee games that bring 4 million viewers per game and up the the TV math that dominates target conference makeup. The Bowl games will be "re-assigned" as the new conference and playoff architecture is laid out by the media partners, and signed off by the conferences, to get their money.
Of course the landscape changed - $$$. lol

The point is it appears the landscape planning did not include the non-football student athletes, actually non-football sports overall, and frankly, many of the traits of college football that made it special in and of itself. IMO college and conference administrators are ceding control over their entire athletic departments to the whims of TV execs.

We're going to see a world where the college football regular season is of decreased importance, fewer rivalries will be played, conferences will try to determine who will play in its conference championship when its members will play so few similar conference opponents leading to controversy over who gets to play for the conference title, and the possibility of the further NFL-ization of college football with elite teams sitting starters in their last regular season game because they have clinched a conference championship game berth and playoff berth due to the expansion to 12 team playoff.

That being said, when are the Canes getting the invite to the Big 10 or SEC? It's badly needed.

Advertisement
The Big 12 can go back to market when their deal expires in 2030 and potentially negotiate a better deal while ACC schools are locked in until 2036.

Big 12 pays less for now. Big 12 contract will also come up one or maybe even two more times before 2036 and could (not for sure will) move past any ACC escalators.

Sure but we now know best Pac-12 schools could do was $25 million year so would new Big 12 be that more attractive to media?? Oregon and UW went to B1G and they were probably the best of what was left.

Advertisement
Is there a risk of breach of contract simply by announcing that??? Anyone???

Don’t know about that, but there’s something that was pointed out to me (in the ACC rules I think but don’t recall) that if a member does what FSU did and basically go public with wanting to leave, the other ACC teams can block FSU’s voting rights. There’s some provision or something, I just don’t recall where, about being able to block a member from voting who is acting in bad faith on behalf of the conference.

So if anyone was thinking the plan was to get to 8 and vote to dissolve, that may become a factor

In comments to ESPN on Friday, Miami athletic director Dan Radakovich echoed what Cunningham said. "Florida State is doing what Florida State feels like it needs to do," Radakovich said. "Each of our schools have to make their own decisions. But on top of all of it, we need to continue to try to make the ACC as strong as we can make it. We've got our grant of rights, we have all those other pieces that are associated with keeping ourselves together. Right now, we feel really strongly that our best course of action is to keep the ACC together and try to make it as strong as it can be."

Advertisement
Back