MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

According to wiki their acceptance rate is 88%. That's the reason i didn't see them as the type of school that would get an invite.
True, but out of state student rate is about 20-30 points lower. They are slowly getting more selective. Think they rank in top 50 or so in total research grant money, or just outside. They are starting to really grow. I’m still surprised they got in now, but they definitely were on track.

Advertisement
I think USF and UCF have always been solidly above the rest of the public schools in Florida ( sans UF & FSU), at least for undergrad. When I applied to college about a decade ago it went like T1. UF T2. FSU T3. USF & UCF, and then FIU & FAU on the next tier. Again, only talking about public schools.

I don't disagree.

Just pointing out that USF has a BIT of a headstart on everyone else. Seriously, just think about this...

Before VERY recently...

The Med Schools in Florida were UF, UM, and USF...

The Law Schools in Florida were UF, UM, F$U, Stetson, Nova, and St. Thomas. And I guess Barry? Which moved to Orlando?

Dear members of the University of Miami community,

We have arrived!

Today is a great day for all of us who love and support the University of Miami and who have invested our hard work and hearts in its quest for excellence.

I am honored to share with you that the U has been invited to become a member of the Association of American Universities—the AAU. A distinguished national organization comprised of 65 advanced research universities, the AAU represents the gold standard in American higher education.

The University of Miami is among six institutions admitted into the AAU this year by unanimous approval of our peers—the highest form of recognition. One of the youngest universities invited to join, we are one of only a handful of AAU members founded in the 20th Century. The U approaches its centennial in 2025 having reached this defining milestone.

Our AAU designation has required a transformational level of activities and outcomes across our 12 schools and colleges in research, graduate and undergraduate education, and other areas that demonstrate compelling performance across the institution. With more than $413 million dollars in research and sponsored program expenditures funded in fiscal year 2022, the University of Miami is emerging as a world class leader in boldly identifying and seeking solutions for our world’s greatest challenges.

From the Miller School of Medicine and UHealth discovering and delivering the best research-driven patient care and outcomes to the collaboration between the Rosenstiel School and our governmental partners aimed at keeping millions of people and their property out of harm’s way, our research is life-changing. Throughout the entire University we see every day the special blend of talent and tenacity that drives the continuous pursuit of excellence.

Our aspiration to achieve AAU distinction has been in the works for more than a decade. The road was paved not by short-term gains but by long-term goals and sustaining investments from our stakeholders, including our faculty and staff, our students and alumni, our trustees and other generous supporters. Yet, membership in the AAU is not a final destination but a platform to reach further heights into our second century and beyond.

I extend my deepest gratitude to all those who have set us on the path to success. The road has been long, but we have indeed arrived! The milestone we celebrate today will reinvigorate our commitment to the essential mission of universities: to create, disseminate, and apply knowledge as the most powerful force for enlightened social transformation.

I don't disagree.

Just pointing out that USF has a BIT of a headstart on everyone else. Seriously, just think about this...

Before VERY recently...

The Law Schools in Florida were UF, UM, F$U, Stetson, Nova, and St. Thomas. And I guess Barry? Which moved to Orlando?

barry bought Orlando School of Law - UCF tried to buy them out first

Dear members of the University of Miami community,

We have arrived!

Today is a great day for all of us who love and support the University of Miami and who have invested our hard work and hearts in its quest for excellence.

I am honored to share with you that the U has been invited to become a member of the Association of American Universities—the AAU. A distinguished national organization comprised of 65 advanced research universities, the AAU represents the gold standard in American higher education.

The University of Miami is among six institutions admitted into the AAU this year by unanimous approval of our peers—the highest form of recognition. One of the youngest universities invited to join, we are one of only a handful of AAU members founded in the 20th Century. The U approaches its centennial in 2025 having reached this defining milestone.

Our AAU designation has required a transformational level of activities and outcomes across our 12 schools and colleges in research, graduate and undergraduate education, and other areas that demonstrate compelling performance across the institution. With more than $413 million dollars in research and sponsored program expenditures funded in fiscal year 2022, the University of Miami is emerging as a world class leader in boldly identifying and seeking solutions for our world’s greatest challenges.

From the Miller School of Medicine and UHealth discovering and delivering the best research-driven patient care and outcomes to the collaboration between the Rosenstiel School and our governmental partners aimed at keeping millions of people and their property out of harm’s way, our research is life-changing. Throughout the entire University we see every day the special blend of talent and tenacity that drives the continuous pursuit of excellence.

Our aspiration to achieve AAU distinction has been in the works for more than a decade. The road was paved not by short-term gains but by long-term goals and sustaining investments from our stakeholders, including our faculty and staff, our students and alumni, our trustees and other generous supporters. Yet, membership in the AAU is not a final destination but a platform to reach further heights into our second century and beyond.

I extend my deepest gratitude to all those who have set us on the path to success. The road has been long, but we have indeed arrived! The milestone we celebrate today will reinvigorate our commitment to the essential mission of universities: to create, disseminate, and apply knowledge as the most powerful force for enlightened social transformation.
if you didnt get where miami is going it is where I said last year - b10. we aren't an SEC school in terms of tradition, student body, or athletics. we are more aligned with the b10. this all just proves it as it is a big hurdle for b10 membership

Advertisement
barry bought Orlando School of Law - UCF tried to buy them out first

Yeah, I remember there were some accreditation issues, I just wasn't sure who bought whom. But the law school is in Orlando now.

To be honest, it was just too many law schools in SoFla.

For the Big Ten it financially makes sense to just add Miami and Notre Dame if they can do that. They increase the money, the rest dilute it. I am curious if they would give Notre Dame some type of special deal. ND would of course prefer the same deal it has with the ACC.

Advertisement
Yeah, I remember there were some accreditation issues, I just wasn't sure who bought whom. But the law school is in Orlando now.

To be honest, it was just too many law schools in SoFla.
the school is where Orlando School of Law was. they just changed signage basically. still at the same spot. barry never had a law school and decided to buy an existing one (not sure their other reasoning). FAMU is also in orlando too.

I think those are it for the nonprofit schools. I guess Cooley counts too as a nonprofit

For the Big Ten it financially makes sense to just add Miami and Notre Dame if they can do that. They increase the money, the rest dilute it. I am curious if they would give Notre Dame some type of special deal. ND would of course prefer the same deal it has with the ACC.

UNC would not dilute the money.

UVa is questionable, but would certainly strengthen the DMV TV market along with (existing) Maryland.

No way they give us ND with their ties to Mich and MSU. We all want ND, but we would get them every 6 years if they rotate. Or if they do 1 v 1 v 1, etc (like they do in NFL conference) across pods that would help the competitive balance. But I would imagine they won't want the big boys knocking each other off every year

EAST Division
UM, GT, UNC, UVA, Rutgers, Maryland

Central
Mich, MSU, OSU, ND, Purdue, PSU

Midwest
Wisky, NW, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota

West
Neb, USC, UCLA, Oregon, UW, ? Col, ASU, Kansas, Utah other AAU options now
Lol that Central division would be BRUTAL

Advertisement
AAU huge. Big Ten here we come.
And, I have been saying all along that as long as we ended up in either the SEC or B10, I was cool with it, but I preferred the B10. Hope that is what's happening.

Some "insiders" on here assured me a year ago, that this was already settled and we were going to the SEC as soon as the ink dries.

Guess we'll have to wait for the grand finale... but I'm pulling for the B10.

No way they give us ND with their ties to Mich and MSU. We all want ND, but we would get them every 6 years if they rotate. Or if they do 1 v 1 v 1, etc (like they do in NFL conference) across pods that would help the competitive balance. But I would imagine they won't want the big boys knocking each other off every year

EAST Division

Central

Midwest

West
I don't think that's an equitable dispersion of power, but as a Cane, I'd take it!

And, I have been saying all along that as long as we ended up in either the SEC or B10, I was cool with it, but I preferred the B10. Hope that is what's happening.

Some "insiders" on here assured me a year ago, that this was already settled and we were going to the SEC as soon as the ink dries.

Guess we'll have to wait for the grand finale... but I'm pulling for the B10.

For a while, it did seem that the SEC would be the more likely choice.

The Big 10 has been a complicated question, from the "requirement' of AAU membership to the USC-UCLA take to the to TV contract(s).

But I feel like when the process starts, it will move very quickly.

While I'd love to play football games in the SEC, I suspect that the academic/research cash associated with Big 10 membership will exceed the "sports/TV" cash bump (though the PR/exposure side of the SEC is very nice too).

Advertisement
I've been waiting 38 years for AAU membership.

I've been waiting nearly as long to be in a conference that was worth a ****.

I've been waiting nearly 20 years for a better stadium future.

I've been waiting 8 years to go back to Nike.

We built the on-campus arena. We built the IPF. We are building the football HQ.

Piece by piece, little by little...

1685653454612.png

EAST Division

Central

Midwest

West

There is zero chance this is what any groupings would look like. They'll pair Miami with Penn State at the very least. If FSU came over a Miami/FSU/Penn State grouping would be great.

I don't disagree.

Before VERY recently...

Yea that's crazy when you put it like that, the # of medical schools has especially exploded.

USF definitely benefits from having a head start, but I feel like that's how secondary education, as a whole, works in this country. Most of the world, possibly. Looking at the list of 25 oldest colleges in the US, I'd say 10 of them are top 30 universities. The best colleges continue to attract bright students because of their long-standing reputations, which is something younger schools just cannot compete with. TBH for how strong UM's academic reputation is, we're a pretty young school. My guess is we were founded when Florida had a small population and not many secondary education options, and as the population exploded we were by default the best option for many, and built our reputation from there.

You can probably enunciate that last point more clearly than I lol.

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but according to the AAU website, the University of Miami and Notre Dame are officially AAU members

The only other ACC teams that are members of the AAU are UVA and UNC.

AAU Member Universities Public
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922)
- University of Virginia (1904)

AAU Member Universities Private
- University of Miami (2023)
- University of Notre Dame (2023)

-> These teams seem like "the most logical" choices to join the B!G, IMHO.

(Apologies of this has been posted)

Advertisement
Back