Conclusions after 20'ish years of going to games

Been a fan since 1834. Back then we were known as the fancy olde English style u. Also, there is no point to this comment, so I figured it belonged here in this thread.

Advertisement
Our only hope is that we can somehow salvage an at minimum 8 win season this year and Mario kills it recruiting and starts to gather so much talent we can win with shear talent.

*Miami goes undefeated through the non con*

Crazy people start threads like
“Are we sleepers to win the title?”
“Can ____ win the Heisman?”

Normal people say, chill out dude we haven’t played anybody and get called mopes, not fans, etc.

*Miami has a losing streak as they do every year in conference*

Crazy people say stop complaining this team was never gonna win the title. We can still salvage the season You guys are mopes.

Normal people say, yes we know we made that point weeks ago, but there’s no excuse to be worse than (insert bottom feeding ACC team here).”

Every year. Same story. Same results. Same people riding the highs and lows and complaining about the people who see it for what it is.

Can we merge all of these mopey threads into one plz
Can CIS handle THE MEGA MOPE THREAD OF ESTROGEN AND DOOM?

yr7n0u3qzO9nG.gif

@ben I need a ruling on this.

Advertisement
Mario is not bringing the program back. Our idiot administration continues to make one monumental blunder after another. He’s an average coach at best. I thought the labeling of him being a meathead was exaggerated but it’s definitely true. Guy always looks lost on the sidelines.

I have no idea how this is possible, but as horrid as Twitter is, the vibe from Canes fans is way more positive there than here. Seems impossible seeing how Twitter turned into a bigger cesspool than ever before, but that has been my experience.

generation Z needs to come to the realization it takes time to build a program its been 1.5 years

ss15 GIF
Man...I'm elder millenial leaning GenX (1981). I'm good with having patience and trying to get things done the right way. I think a lot of people are, generational tropes aside.

If looking at what I've seen the past 20'ish years causes me to be less than patient with Mario after 1.5 years, then I guess my only question is *I've been patient as a fan for 20'ish years*...how much longer you want me to be patient?

Advertisement
I agree that it’s looking doubtful that Mario can lead us back, but I will admit that I thought he had a decent shot at doing so. I know he “bleeds orange and green” and that if he could be another Butch and bring in the talent like Butch, he wouldn’t leave us and would be here long term. But so far not winning even one ACC game at home is telling in and of itself. We have to beat Clemson. No excuses.

Just curious, where in VA, and where in Eastern KY? Reason I ask is I‘m a Cane grad living in SW VA, and needless to say, Cane grads are few and far between out here.

Those of us who got to experience the Canes of the 80s are lucky, I feel bad for guys who have only been fans for 15-20 years, they have no idea what a joy it was to go to the OB on a Saturday and witness those *** kickin's. I have become apathetic for the most part, although I kind of let myself get sucked in after attending the A&M game, but GT and UNC have reminded me of what we truly are as a program, mediocre.

I'll still watch the Clemson game on Saturday, but I truly expect a lackluster loss in front of about 25k fans. I just won't let it bother me like it used to.

Those of us who got to experience the Canes of the 80s are lucky, I feel bad for guys who have only been fans for 15-20 years, they have no idea what a joy it was to go to the OB on a Saturday and witness those *** kickin's. I have become apathetic for the most part, although I kind of let myself get sucked in after attending the A&M game, but GT and UNC have reminded me of what we truly are as a program, mediocre.

I'll still watch the Clemson game on Saturday, but I truly expect a lackluster loss in front of about 25k fans. I just won't let it bother me like it used to.
Me too

Advertisement
Been a fan since 1834. Back then we were known as the fancy olde English style u. Also, there is no point to this comment, so I figured it belonged here in this thread.
Ha Ha! Gotcha Beat...I was a student at UM starting in 1836. Then the civil war kept me from following the team. Your comment was NOT pointless. All of this silly banter, and crying in our beers, is beyond a shadow of doubt truly pointless. With all the crap going on in this world the collective angst on this site is laughable.

PS....I know most on this board will not even understand what I just wrote since their IQ's are not up to the task!

Y'all think Kirby Smart is some scholar and Mario is a meathead? You think Dabo is a brilliant football mind?

You don't have to be Einstein to run a highly successful football program. You do need 9 times out of 10, the administration and financial support now to make it work, and you need the players. Our administration has finally given the program some necessary pieces to have success. They hired a proven power 5 winning HC. They gave him the highest assistant salary pool to hire his staff(FIRST time ever since Miami has joined ACC), they are majorly upgrading facilities, and we just landed our best recruiting class in the 247 sports era.

This is the time we have waited on for nearly 20 years! Don't jump off now

It’s not rocket science. You either out talent your opponent by so much coaching doesn’t matter, or you hire an elite offensive mind to make up for your lack of talent. Miami refuses to do either.
might agree, why didn't we hire Phil Longo( Wisconsin) Garrett Riley( Clemson) ?? or year before that KDillinham (HC AZ)
or Jeff Lebby (OK. OC)..... talent was there to be had ! man did Gattis ever set us back.....

Advertisement
I've been a fan for much longer than I've gotten to go to games. As some of you know, I'm from VA originally (now living in Eastern KY), and my first in-person game was @VT in 2005. I've traveled to games all over the country pretty much to watch the Canes, including the occasional home game. And I'm gonna use the cliche "I've never lost a tailgate", and I'm happy to claim many of the Canes I've met throughout the years as not just close friends but as a second true family that's gotten me thru some tough times over the past year or two (namely a divorce after about 20'ish years of marriage).

That being said...two things became crystal clear to me Saturday night as I sat in the stands in Chapel Hill and watched us roll over and die in the 2nd half.

1) I've said often that Mario has to be the answer, because if he can't bring us "back" (or "byke"), then I'm not sure anyone short of Schnelly could. *To me* - Mario ain't it. Call me a mope or whatever, I'd love to be proven wrong, but it's starting to look more and more that other than recruiting, there's not much else Mario's good at.

2) Pursuant to point #1 - if Mario isn't it, we aren't gonna ever be "back"/"byke". The U as we've known it in the past isn't coming back. We aren't gonna be a Top 10 program again with the likes of UGA/Bama/tOSU*/etc...and anytime we're ranked...it's moreso fool's gold, and we're closer to the GT's/UNC's of the world than we are the upper eschelon. And we just got beaten by both of those programs.

That all hurts my soul to type out, because I want to be a sunshine-pumper and optimistic. I want to see the good in the program and in the folks representing The U. After seeing waves of Miami fans file out of the stands after the TVD fumble, or after we gave up the TD on 3rd and 20 when we declined making it 2nd and 30, or (when I left) after Omarion Hampton broke our backs with his 60 yard run......my soul/heart for Canes Football is broken. I'm beaten and I'm just at my personal wit's end with it. Life has been kicking my *** enough over the past little bit...I don't need the Canes to pile onto the misery when I'm there in person.

I'll root us on from home as always, for now. I'll travel for the basketball team (hopefully to Rupp for the UK game on 11/28), but I can't justify any more football trips until they get this thing sorted.
I feel you fam we going to get through it.

Our fans complain, like college football isn’t cyclical. I’m quite sure Alabama fans were moping for 30 years thinking that they would never get another run after Bear Bryant. Michigan went 40 years between titles. Auburn and Georgia were also rans for DECADES.

We don’t have any of the advantages of those schools, we were the startup that had huge success and now it’s a slow time. Hopefully Mario gets us back rolling but we also need to stop acting like the world is coming to an end. This program can get back there, and as alums/ stakeholders, it’s our job to provide whatever assistance we can to help make that happen. Moping isn’t helping anyone. Move on, hope for the best.

My DNA doesn't allow me to quit.
There's got to be that light ....somewhere.

Maybe Saturday?
See you there.

Advertisement
Back