Conclusions after 20'ish years of going to games

Our fans complain, like college football isn’t cyclical. I’m quite sure Alabama fans were moping for 30 years thinking that they would never get another run after Bear Bryant. Michigan went 40 years between titles. Auburn and Georgia were also rans for DECADES.

We don’t have any of the advantages of those schools, we were the startup that had huge success and now it’s a slow time. Hopefully Mario gets us back rolling but we also need to stop acting like the world is coming to an end. This program can get back there, and as alums/ stakeholders, it’s our job to provide whatever assistance we can to help make that happen. Moping isn’t helping anyone. Move on, MOPE for the best.
FIFY

Advertisement
Y'all think Kirby Smart is some scholar and Mario is a meathead? You think Dabo is a brilliant football mind?

You don't have to be Einstein to run a highly successful football program. You do need 9 times out of 10, the administration and financial support now to make it work, and you need the players. Our administration has finally given the program some necessary pieces to have success. They hired a proven power 5 winning HC. They gave him the highest assistant salary pool to hire his staff(FIRST time ever since Miami has joined ACC), they are majorly upgrading facilities, and we just landed our best recruiting class in the 247 sports era.

This is the time we have waited on for nearly 20 years! Don't jump off now
Kirby is an elite defensive coach.

Dabo is Mario, but smarter. He also had Venables and a proven staff that stayed together for years. Dabo also had a really good bag system and got his winning done before NIL and the portal threw a wrench in everything.

First home game was in 1967.

I've seen more bad seasons than good ones at this point.

Program had a great twenty year run at the top of college football. We are blessed we won five National Titles. I never thought we'd sniff one.

Program is almost 100 years old and has been lousy for 80 of them. The other 20 was lightning in a bottle. Historically, we've been an average to poor football program.

What we've seen for last 20 years is truly representative of what we are.
Few seem to realize that our success was the anomaly not the 7-5 years. I am so done with these “Fire The Head Coach” posts. If people don’t like it, they go ahead and “Be a Fan Later.” Come back AFTER title #6. Whenever that may be if ever.

Advertisement
Man I did NOT appreciate that 2001 team like I should have
I started off with the Erickson years. I knew we were **** good. The probation years were a step down from that, but still good teams, except 97. In the early 2000s, we were back to the early 90s. I assumed we were there to stay.

I had no idea that by 2006 we'd be a perpetual 7-5 program with the same forgettable season on lather, rinse, repeat. I had no idea that, in 2018, we'd start scouring the patent and trademark archives in an attempt to invent, and re-invent, the most absurd ways to lose games.

Can I get 9 wins and a Carquest Bowl?

Divorce is never easy my fellow Cane. Been through it a couple of times. Take it as a learning experience and you’ll be a stronger, better man for it.

As far as our Canes are concerned, I’ve been a fan since 1967 when I was 10 years old. I’ve seen much more bad than good. Schnelly caught the CFB world by surprise with his pro style offense. JJ capitalized on that success. Erickson kept the ball rolling for the most part then came the scandal. It took 10 years from ‘91 to ‘01 to get our 5th NC.

When Butch left, it was one botched HC hire after another compounded by the fact that the rest of CFB caught up with, and surpassed us, in many ways. The hole we’re in is pretty deep and IMO, and will take a transcendent HC (like Schnelly or JJ) to pull us out of it.

At this point, I’m not convinced Mario is that transcendent coach. I have no doubt no one will outwork him nor do I have any doubt about his love for the Hurricanes. As with any leader worth his salt, it’s all about the people he surrounds himself with. Mario has to surround himself with people that know the game better than he does and let them “go to work”.

Honestly, the juries till out for me concerning Mario. He inherited 20 years of mediocrity and has his work cut out for him. This years team seems different from last year in that they haven’t seemed to give up like in years past. This weeks game with Clemson is another test to see where we stand.

Hang in there and keep your chin up. Better days are ahead.
423H... looks like you're a year younger, with the same divorce record as me... however, I finally hit pay dirt, now going on 16 yrs. (till death do us part).
I grew up around Duffy's Tavern on Red Road. Went to about 6 games in the 70's, then in 82 bought season tickets in OB for 22 yrs.
I attended all the Cane Dynasty years and lived the Championships up close and personal. I'm a blessed Canes fan, but younger fans not so much.
I/we still have hopes that the Canes will rise again. This season best turn around for Mario, if not we have to move on.

I started off with the Erickson years. I knew we were **** good. The probation years were a step down from that, but still good teams, except 97. In the early 2000s, we were back to the early 90s. I assumed we were there to stay.

I had no idea that by 2006 we'd be a perpetual 7-5 program with the same forgettable season on lather, rinse, repeat. I had no idea that, in 2018, we'd start scouring the patent and trademark archives in an attempt to invent, and re-invent, the most absurd ways to lose games.

Can I get 9 wins and a Carquest Bowl?
I was a fan of the team for as long as I can remember because my neighbors were Notre Dame fans

I was a teenager during probation so I would say the first few games I really really remember being invested in were when we beat UCLA and then the next few seasons

But still especially back then without the internet access to all this stuff as a kid in PA you’re a little detached from the vibe

Anyway. I never thought it would go down like this that’s for sure

Advertisement
Where is the survey done in the preseason where virtually everyone said 7-5 or 8-4. We beat A&M and people think superbowl.

Our fanbase is hilarious.

We're 5-1 barring the wildest game in the history of Miami.

See yall Saturday 😅

Dabo is Mario, but smarter. He also had Venables and a proven staff that stayed together for years. Dabo also had a really good bag system and got his winning done before NIL and the portal threw a wrench in everything.
people think Kirby was just some line coach at bama. he was the ******* DC lol.

423H... looks like you're a year younger, with the same divorce record as me... however, I finally hit pay dirt, now going on 16 yrs. (till death do us part).
I grew up around Duffy's Tavern on Red Road. Went to about 6 games in the 70's, then in 82 bought season tickets in OB for 22 yrs.
I attended all the Cane Dynasty years and lived the Championships up close and personal. I'm a blessed Canes fan, but younger fans not so much.
I/we still have hopes that the Canes will rise again. This season best turn around for Mario, if not we have to move on.
I was 10 in Oct of ‘67. That summer at 9 years old, I decided I wanted to play football. My father was the OB Stadium Manager at the time (1960 to 1979). My mother thought it would be neat if I could go and see a Hurricanes practice. My father called HC Tate and asked if it would be OK for me to come and watch a practice. Coach Tate said sure but wanted me to stay in the stands so I didn’t get hurt.

It was a Friday before the first game of the ‘67 season so they had practice, basically a walk through, at the OB. My mom and I sat on the rail on the 50 yard line and watched the entire practice -about 2-2/12 hours. At the end of practice, some of the players walked by and shook my hand. High 5’s weren’t a thing yet. LOL. I couldn’t tell you their names as I was awestruck. From that day forward, Orange and Green has run through my veins

I was 10 in Oct of ‘67. That summer at 9 years old, I decided I wanted to play football. My father was the OB Stadium Manager at the time (1960 to 1979). My mother thought it would be neat if I could go and see a Hurricanes practice. My father called HC Tate and asked if it would be OK for me to come and watch a practice. Coach Tate said sure but wanted me to stay in the stands so I didn’t get hurt.

It was a Friday before the first game of the ‘67 season so they had practice, basically a walk through, at the OB. My mom and I sat on the rail on the 50 yard line and watched the entire practice -about 2-2/12 hours. At the end of practice, some of the players walked by and shook my hand. High 5’s weren’t a thing yet. LOL. I couldn’t tell you their names as I was awestruck. From that day forward, Orange and Green has run through my veins
thats a cool story.

Advertisement
It's the younger generation of fans who still seem to believe that this will get turned around one day.

You poor, poor souls.

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Been a fan since the late 70’s. The very saddest thing for me is that I’ve become more & more numb to the losing over the past 15 years or so. Losses used to linger for days & weeks. Now I’m over it in 15 minutes. I’ve will always bleed Orange & Green but I’ve lost my hope. We are what we are (a middle of the pack team in a marginal conference) for the foreseeable future.
This right here. Iv been a fan since 85. Parents are FSU alum. I used to plan my Saturdays around Miami now I could care less.

Advertisement
Ha Ha! Gotcha Beat...I was a student at UM starting in 1836. Then the civil war kept me from following the team. Your comment was NOT pointless. All of this silly banter, and crying in our beers, is beyond a shadow of doubt truly pointless. With all the crap going on in this world the collective angst on this site is laughable.

PS....I know most on this board will not even understand what I just wrote since their IQ's are not up to the task!
You’re right on all counts!!

Dabo is smarter? Kirby is not some savant sorry. He is a fine DC, but that defense was Sabans defense if anyone used the bag system to win a NC it was Kirby.

The smartest thing Kirby did was realize what his mentor did, and understand in todays college football defense doesn't win championships. You better score, and score a lot especially in the big games. Also he empowered his booster network to buy the best players.

I think Mario's hire of Dawson proves he understands that.

Wow, that's a nice story thanks. That was Miami when many pronounced it Miamah.
When in high school Don Solinger was my PE coach and homeroom teacher. When I reached drinking age I would go to Duffy's, a watering hole for fans and some players. During the Christobal's playing years, I was friends with Mario and Luis' parents because I frequented a battery store by Hialeah Track that the old man ran... very nice folks... RIP.
Just like you the Canes are my #1 priority... college FB #2... NFL a distant #3.

Advertisement
Back