Conclusions after 20'ish years of going to games

BWCD

Junior
I've been a fan for much longer than I've gotten to go to games. As some of you know, I'm from VA originally (now living in Eastern KY), and my first in-person game was @VT in 2005. I've traveled to games all over the country pretty much to watch the Canes, including the occasional home game. And I'm gonna use the cliche "I've never lost a tailgate", and I'm happy to claim many of the Canes I've met throughout the years as not just close friends but as a second true family that's gotten me thru some tough times over the past year or two (namely a divorce after about 20'ish years of marriage).

That being said...two things became crystal clear to me Saturday night as I sat in the stands in Chapel Hill and watched us roll over and die in the 2nd half.

1) I've said often that Mario has to be the answer, because if he can't bring us "back" (or "byke"), then I'm not sure anyone short of Schnelly could. *To me* - Mario ain't it. Call me a mope or whatever, I'd love to be proven wrong, but it's starting to look more and more that other than recruiting, there's not much else Mario's good at.

2) Pursuant to point #1 - if Mario isn't it, we aren't gonna ever be "back"/"byke". The U as we've known it in the past isn't coming back. We aren't gonna be a Top 10 program again with the likes of UGA/Bama/tOSU*/etc...and anytime we're ranked...it's moreso fool's gold, and we're closer to the GT's/UNC's of the world than we are the upper eschelon. And we just got beaten by both of those programs.

That all hurts my soul to type out, because I want to be a sunshine-pumper and optimistic. I want to see the good in the program and in the folks representing The U. After seeing waves of Miami fans file out of the stands after the TVD fumble, or after we gave up the TD on 3rd and 20 when we declined making it 2nd and 30, or (when I left) after Omarion Hampton broke our backs with his 60 yard run......my soul/heart for Canes Football is broken. I'm beaten and I'm just at my personal wit's end with it. Life has been kicking my *** enough over the past little bit...I don't need the Canes to pile onto the misery when I'm there in person.

I'll root us on from home as always, for now. I'll travel for the basketball team (hopefully to Rupp for the UK game on 11/28), but I can't justify any more football trips until they get this thing sorted.

Advertisement
Been a fan since the late 70’s. The very saddest thing for me is that I’ve become more & more numb to the losing over the past 15 years or so. Losses used to linger for days & weeks. Now I’m over it in 15 minutes. I’ve will always bleed Orange & Green but I’ve lost my hope. We are what we are (a middle of the pack team in a marginal conference) for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement
I've been a fan for much longer than I've gotten to go to games. As some of you know, I'm from VA originally (now living in Eastern KY), and my first in-person game was @VT in 2005. I've traveled to games all over the country pretty much to watch the Canes, including the occasional home game. And I'm gonna use the cliche "I've never lost a tailgate", and I'm happy to claim many of the Canes I've met throughout the years as not just close friends but as a second true family that's gotten me thru some tough times over the past year or two (namely a divorce after about 20'ish years of marriage).

That being said...two things became crystal clear to me Saturday night as I sat in the stands in Chapel Hill and watched us roll over and die in the 2nd half.

1) I've said often that Mario has to be the answer, because if he can't bring us "back" (or "byke"), then I'm not sure anyone short of Schnelly could. *To me* - Mario ain't it. Call me a mope or whatever, I'd love to be proven wrong, but it's starting to look more and more that other than recruiting, there's not much else Mario's good at.

2) Pursuant to point #1 - if Mario isn't it, we aren't gonna ever be "back"/"byke". The U as we've known it in the past isn't coming back. We aren't gonna be a Top 10 program again with the likes of UGA/Bama/tOSU*/etc...and anytime we're ranked...it's moreso fool's gold, and we're closer to the GT's/UNC's of the world than we are the upper eschelon. And we just got beaten by both of those programs.

That all hurts my soul to type out, because I want to be a sunshine-pumper and optimistic. I want to see the good in the program and in the folks representing The U. After seeing waves of Miami fans file out of the stands after the TVD fumble, or after we gave up the TD on 3rd and 20 when we declined making it 2nd and 30, or (when I left) after Omarion Hampton broke our backs with his 60 yard run......my soul/heart for Canes Football is broken. I'm beaten and I'm just at my personal wit's end with it. Life has been kicking my *** enough over the past little bit...I don't need the Canes to pile onto the misery when I'm there in person.

I'll root us on from home as always, for now. I'll travel for the basketball team (hopefully to Rupp for the UK game on 11/28), but I can't justify any more football trips until they get this thing sorted.
Divorce is never easy my fellow Cane. Been through it a couple of times. Take it as a learning experience and you’ll be a stronger, better man for it.

As far as our Canes are concerned, I’ve been a fan since 1967 when I was 10 years old. I’ve seen much more bad than good. Schnelly caught the CFB world by surprise with his pro style offense. JJ capitalized on that success. Erickson kept the ball rolling for the most part then came the scandal. It took 10 years from ‘91 to ‘01 to get our 5th NC.

When Butch left, it was one botched HC hire after another compounded by the fact that the rest of CFB caught up with, and surpassed us, in many ways. The hole we’re in is pretty deep and IMO, and will take a transcendent HC (like Schnelly or JJ) to pull us out of it.

At this point, I’m not convinced Mario is that transcendent coach. I have no doubt no one will outwork him nor do I have any doubt about his love for the Hurricanes. As with any leader worth his salt, it’s all about the people he surrounds himself with. Mario has to surround himself with people that know the game better than he does and let them “go to work”.

Honestly, the juries till out for me concerning Mario. He inherited 20 years of mediocrity and has his work cut out for him. This years team seems different from last year in that they haven’t seemed to give up like in years past. This weeks game with Clemson is another test to see where we stand.

Hang in there and keep your chin up. Better days are ahead.

You know who else was 9-9 after their first 18 games at the U???

Howard schnellenberger and I’m sure there was a bunch of ppl trying to run him off too.

He went 5-6 year 1.

Won 4 in a row year 2. Then lost 3 in a row then won 5 in row to finish 9-3. I could only imagine whatever they were using as message boards back in the 80s must have been like.

He also back slide in 82 going 7-4 which I’m sure ppl around here would have saying “see I told you he couldn’t get us over the hump.”

Before starting the dynastic run in 83.

I’m not saying that’s going to be Mario but I have no desire to “first guess” or “first take” that it won’t be him.

If we are ever going to be anything it’s going to take a few years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
generation Z needs to come to the realization it takes time to build a program its been 1.5 years

ss15 GIF

Howard schnellenberger and I’m sure there was a bunch of ppl trying to run him off too.

He went 5-6 year 1.

Won 4 in a row year 2. Then lost 3 in a row then won 5 in row to finish 9-3. I could only imagine whatever they were using as message boards back in the 80s must have been like.

He also back slide in 82 going 7-4 which I’m sure ppl around here would have saying “see I told you he couldn’t get us over the hump.”

I’m not saying that’s going to be Mario but I have no desire to “first guess” or “first take” that it won’t be him.

Saban's last class at UM helped Howard more than people realize.

Been a fan since the late 70’s. The very saddest thing for me is that I’ve become more & more numb to the losing over the past 15 years or so. Losses used to linger for days & weeks. Now I’m over it in 15 minutes. I’ve will always bleed Orange & Green but I’ve lost my hope. We are what we are (a middle of the pack team in a marginal conference) for the foreseeable future.

First home game was in 1967.

I've seen more bad seasons than good ones at this point.

Program had a great twenty year run at the top of college football. We are blessed we won five National Titles. I never thought we'd sniff one.

Program is almost 100 years old and has been lousy for 80 of them. The other 20 was lightning in a bottle. Historically, we've been an average to poor football program.

What we've seen for last 20 years is truly representative of what we are.

Advertisement

We are what we are: A second-rate football program.

Last edited:
Once we forget about the past and accept the present we will always be miserable after a loss. We’ve set the bar too high for the present and looking forward. those years are history. They were great. They will never be again. We have to stop thinking that level of dominance will again happen. I believe Mario’s heart is in the right place. For him to reach his expectations at Miami is easier said than done. I think Prime who is probably a recruiting magnet , IF any of his players remember him even playing is going to have a harder time than he thinks. College football is more about $$$ than ever before. It’s made all coaches jobs a lot harder. The portal and NIL have changed the game that fans and alum have loved for ever. Some will argue both sides that it’s better or worse. I guess to some those bragging rights are more important than just enjoying the game and going to a game for the experience win or lose. The pageantry of college football to me has always been special. I continue to watch the canes because I’m an alum class of 74. Saw the worst and the best Of Miami football. With recruiting wars NIL and the portal we are stuck in a constant cycle of being an average team.

He went 5-6 year 1.

We are what we are: A second-rate football program.

Advertisement
First home game was in 1967.

I've seen more bad seasons than good ones at this point.

Program had a great twenty year run at the top of college football. We are blessed we won five National Titles. I never thought we'd sniff one.

Program is almost 100 years old and has been lousy for 80 of them. The other 20 was lightning in a bottle. Historically, we've been an average to poor football program.

What we've seen for last 20 years is truly representative of what we are.
This needs to be pinned to the top of every thread. My first game was also 1967 and like you, seen way more bad then good. That 20 years from ‘82/83 to ‘01/02 was an anomaly and not reflective of the history of the football program. ****, it took 10 years between NC #4 and #5 - another anomaly - and haven’t sniffed one since.

Ironically, CFB fans in general are living in the past concerning our Canes. Many believe Miami should be a contender every year just because of what we did in that 20 year span. We fell way behind and have yet to catch up, if ever.

Once we forget about the past and accept the present we will always be miserable after a loss. We’ve set the bar too high for the present and looking forward. those years are history. They were great. They will never be again. We have to stop thinking that level of dominance will again happen. I believe Mario’s heart is in the right place. For him to reach his expectations at Miami is easier said than done. I think Prime who is probably a recruiting magnet , IF any of his players remember him even playing is going to have a harder time than he thinks. College football is more about $$$ than ever before. It’s made all coaches jobs a lot harder. The portal and NIL have changed the game that fans and alum have loved for ever. Some will argue both sides that it’s better or worse. I guess to some those bragging rights are more important than just enjoying the game and going to a game for the experience win or lose. The pageantry of college football to me has always been special. I continue to watch the canes because I’m an alum class of 74. Saw the worst and the best Of Miami football. With recruiting wars NIL and the portal we are stuck in a constant cycle of being an average team.
No reasonable person expects Miami to win national championships any time soon, if ever again with the lack of funding compared to the big boys. But winning 9-10 games in this god awful conference isn’t that high of expectations. Expecting Miami to be better at football than GT, UNC, UVA, BC, VT, Duke, etc. is common place, not lofty.

I completely understand the sentiment, but as odd as it may seem all you have to do is look at fsu to actually have hope. They were complete dogisht just a couple of years ago.

It's been really bad, by Miami standards, for a while now, it's gonna take time.

Advertisement
Back