Compressed Game

FWIW, I know a lot of people are down on WR Coley but after this game I don't have any doubt he will have a big JR year. FSU couldn't stay with him. He needs a good offseason in the weight room and work with Kaaya. I will be surprised if he doesn't get 1000 yards next year.

His best game of the year, didn't make a ton of plays, but looked dangerous for the first time all year.

Advertisement
Offensively, I don't think we played too conservative. We just didn't make some plays that were there. These are the plays that killed us in the 2nd half

1st Drive, 3rd &10, and Kayaa throws it out of bounds on what would've been a 35 yard gain to Coley (maybe a TD if it's on target)

Coley.jpg

3rd Drive - Dobard fumble

Dobard.jpg

4th Drive - 1st and 10 at FSU 29. Dobard is running wide open down the middle of the field, but Goldman drops back and tips the ball. Would've been a huge play.

Dobard2.jpg

5th Drive - 3rd and 16. Up 3 with 6 min to go and we call a screen pass to Duke. This was the one conservative call I saw, but I wouldn't call it the wrong call. Put it in Dukes hands, see if he can make a play. If not, give the D a chance to get a stop. This is the type of play where if we win, it's a good call, if we lose, it's a bad call.

Duke.jpg

Duke starting to cramp up with 10 min to go in the 3rd certainly hurt - but those were the plays that stood out to me as the killers.

If someone watched this game and had no idea about college football rankings..They just knew that FSU was the #3 team in the country and was on a 25 game winning streak..and they asked that person what ranking they thought we were based on talent and the way we played overall for 4 qtrs....it would be VERY hard to convince me otherwise that that person wouldnt say we were in the top 15. Whats my point? If I gave you the same analogy after last years game..The answer would be TOTALLY different. I really dont know what that means but that has to be a good thing, right?

I mean, does that mean that MAYBE this team might be headed in a good direction? I dont do moral victories..But if we end this season by beating UVA and Pitt and win the bowl game..You couldnt convince me to think that we were not going to turn the corner next year and really start making some national noise.

If someone watched this game and had no idea about college football rankings..They just knew that FSU was the #3 team in the country and was on a 25 game winning streak..and they asked that person what ranking they thought we were based on talent and the way we played overall for 4 qtrs....it would be VERY hard to convince me otherwise that that person wouldnt say we were in the top 15. Whats my point? If I gave you the same analogy after last years game..The answer would be TOTALLY different. I really dont know what that means but that has to be a good thing, right?

I mean, does that mean that MAYBE this team might be headed in a good direction? I dont do moral victories..But if we end this season by beating UVA and Pitt and win the bowl game..You couldnt convince me to think that we were not going to turn the corner next year and really start making some national noise.

Like I've been saying it will be interesting to see if we fire Donofrio or not. The D has improved a lot since last year. But I think that the games against Nebraska and GT might be too much to save his job. But re-watching the game, just about every big play FSU had was due to a few missed tackles. Overall this year the D has done pretty well. But those 2 games against GT and Nebraska were just so inexcusable I think.
I think all the assistants on the defensive side of the ball should be gone though. I mean other than Denzel we consistently miss tackles.

Rewatched it too... A lot different seeing it on video than in person. Initially i thought we went conservative, but we honestly didn't. We just didn't execute like we were before.

Game is a whole lot different if we come up with ONE of these plays:

- Kirby makes that pick while we were up 16, that would of been HUGE. We would of gotten it on their 35.
- Berrios makes that TD catch to stop their momentum and put us up 30-10 heading into half time.
- Make the ******* XP and 29yd FG.
- FSU's getting a FG instead of the tipped pass TD.

I know it's just football and they had their fair share of mistakes, but missing easy kicks and getting a scored on a BS play is just unlucky. I'll prolly never get over this loss until we beat them again.

Advertisement
Offensively, I don't think we played too conservative. We just didn't make some plays that were there. These are the plays that killed us in the 2nd half

1st Drive, 3rd &10, and Kayaa throws it out of bounds on what would've been a 35 yard gain to Coley (maybe a TD if it's on target)

View attachment 27364

3rd Drive - Dobard fumble

View attachment 27365

4th Drive - 1st and 10 at FSU 29. Dobard is running wide open down the middle of the field, but Goldman drops back and tips the ball. Would've been a huge play.

View attachment 27366

5th Drive - 3rd and 16. Up 3 with 6 min to go and we call a screen pass to Duke. This was the one conservative call I saw, but I wouldn't call it the wrong call. Put it in Dukes hands, see if he can make a play. If not, give the D a chance to get a stop. This is the type of play where if we win, it's a good call, if we lose, it's a bad call.

View attachment 27367

Duke starting to cramp up with 10 min to go in the 3rd certainly hurt - but those were the plays that stood out to me as the killers.

Exactly. We weren't conservative. I outlined it in a large post titled "second half thoughts." We ran a little more because FSU changed their d to take away the pass. But we still were aggressive in the passing game, we just didn't get it done and fsu made some plays. I'd add two plays to your list: 1. dump off to yearby that Ramsey batted down, this play had HUGE potential. 2. Hot read to Dorsett that was batted down. Also could have been a big play. I don't know if you can do it, but I'd love to see screenshots of these two plays.

Game is a whole lot different if we come up with ONE of these plays:

- Kirby makes that pick while we were up 16, that would of been HUGE. We would of gotten it on their 35.
- Berrios makes that TD catch to stop their momentum and put us up 30-10 heading into half time.
- Make the ******* XP and 29yd FG.
- FSU's getting a FG instead of the tipped pass TD.

All This Right here... All we need was one of these things to happen. As D$ Said ... Missed opportunities.....****

JC

Advertisement
Back