Comparing Brad Kaaya to other class of 2014 QBs

Advertisement
Now imagine Kaaya playing under real coaches who can call plays, don't think of bubble screens as their goto play, have an effective O line, and will not be constantly losing field position due to mass confusion on the sidelines. Just sayin'.

I don't have to imagine, I just have to wait.

Kaaya and DeShone Kizer are both Big time QB's and will have great NFL careers. I think they go #1 and #2 in the 2017 NFL draft (any order)

Deshaun Watson is will always be great at the college level, but I think he'll struggle in the league

So hes 2nd or 3rd best qb in his class...thus far.

Pretty much him or Watson is #1 or #2 . The guy from ttech plays in an air raid offense and they throw it ALOT
I would say its not even close who is number 1. One of them just came off being invited to the Heisman ceremony.

Easy to say that but Clemson had competent coaches around Watson and a very good defense. Not an even level field considering those factors. Watson is very talented though

Kaaya will need to make a major leap to go in 2017. He would be much better off going in 2018.

Advertisement

He is the 34th ranked QB this year in QB rating and has negative yards rushing ,so there are at least 33 QBs who had a better year and a bunch more if you consider rushing stats.

You have to remember Kaaya is a pocket QB so the sacks hurt what limited rushing yardage he would have. Plus hard to put a lot of those lost yards entirely on him with our trash line. Let's judge this entire class on their full body of work, but Brad looks to be one of the best right now.

A bit of a premature comparison IMO. I think Kaaya's a stud though. It would just be more fair to compare numbers a year or two down the line when the other QB's get on the field.

Advertisement
Most shocking part of that OP is that Treon Harris was the 3rd rated dual threat QB ahead of a bunch of dudes who are infinitely better than he.

Advertisement

He is the 34th ranked QB this year in QB rating and has negative yards rushing ,so there are at least 33 QBs who had a better year and a bunch more if you consider rushing stats.

It doesn't matter how many yards rushing he has, he's a pocket passer. As long as he has the ability to move in the pocket that's all he needs. And all he really needs to be to be a top pick is around 20 for QBR.

When you run a 5.4 --40 your QB rating better be off the charts since you are absolutely no threat to run. Kaaya is good but far from great at this point as a pure passer.

What will help him immensely is the number of starts he continues to accumulate . I suspect he will stay through his senior year and have 40+ starts by the time he graduates-that, as much as anything, will increase his NFL stock.

Advertisement
Let's see where they are all do in the NFL draft. I expect Kaaya will go pretty high.

It would not surprise me if Kaaya goes before Watson.

I haven't watched much of Deshaun Watson. What about his game makes you think he is just another college QB>

He's an NFL prospect to be sure but not a high-end one. He's like a poor man's RG3/Vick. The foundation of his game is his running ability on option plays and scrambles. He doesn't have nuanced pocket presence or footwork, his accuracy waxes and wanes, and his arm isn't as good as the aforementioned QBs who never fulfilled the hype. There hasn't been a QB in the NFL who sustained success by depending on his legs without winning consistently from the pocket. Watson is a total projection in that sense so I'm very skeptical. I'm also interested to see his measurements at the combine because I doubt he's a legit 6'2 210 which is already small for a QB. The NFL loves their QB size templates, especially with QBs who expose themselves to contact.

I don't usually use the "school card" when evaluating QBs but it's important to keep in mind that Tajh Boyd was once considered a top-10 pick because he was propped up by all the NFL talent around him (Ellington, Watkins, Allen, Bryant, etc.). Clemson offenses are loaded with talent and they run a scheme that constrains a defense with misdirection and tempo to get speed in space and create defined reads and easy throwing lanes. Very little that Watson does translates to the NFL, which again circles back to the point about him being a projection.

I haven't watched much of Deshaun Watson. What about his game makes you think he is just another college QB>

He doesn't have nuanced pocket presence or footwork, his accuracy waxes and wanes, and his arm isn't as good as the aforementioned QBs who never fulfilled the hype.
I cant stop laughing right not seeing as Watson is a lot more accurate than Kayaa, isnt nearly as inconsistent with his accuracy, and has surely shown a lot better pocket presence than Kayaa.

Tell me more though about how Kayaa is a better NFL prospect.

Advertisement
Back