Commercials have been a disaster.

Right, meaning they pander to the PC Police because they are afraid of offending someone in the ever growing Always Offended Culture and then being attacked relentlessly on the twittersphere for it. So they elect to go "sterile, pandering, or just lazy" as a result. Isnt that the same thing?

No, because they weren't offending anyone to begin with. Mean Joe, Apple 1984, Where's the Beef, Jordan vs Bird, Terry Tate, E-trade monkey, Budweiser frogs, this isn't exactly Sam Kinison or Don Rickles. And by pander, I meant pandering to any specific group, which encompasses both sides of the aisle, even the heartstrings or the heartland, like the Clydesdales or Silverados of the world.

Advertisement
No, because they weren't offending anyone to begin with. Mean Joe, Apple 1984, Where's the Beef, Jordan vs Bird, Terry Tate, E-trade monkey, Budweiser frogs, this isn't exactly Sam Kinison or Don Rickles. And by pander, I meant pandering to any specific group, which encompasses both sides of the aisle, even the heartstrings or the heartland, like the Clydesdales or Silverados of the world.

Haha. Spot on. I'm not so sure the world of advertising to the largest of masses was ever the arena where entities bucked the current levels of political correctness.

That said, an ad with Kinison and Rickles would probably have me buying a Kia or a case of Bud Heavy today!

Is this how you rationalize his mistakes? I'll be more specific for you.
Good time for geography lesson on the tale of two Kansas City's - Missouri and Kansas. Significant population resides across the state line in Kansas. Wouldn't be surprised if more than half players live on Kansas side & large % of ticket holders live in Kansas suburbs.

The Halftime Show going full Latin Miami for sure.

Like a Sabado Gigante! show.
My Hispanic wife didn't like it much and really got upset with the PR flag thing. I'm native of Miami and my brain long ago developed shields to tune out Spanish so is was mostly a waste for me. First one I've seen in years. Watch because Miami was rocking it this year.

Haha. Spot on. I'm not so sure the world of advertising to the largest of masses was ever the arena where entities bucked the current levels of political correctness.

That said, an ad with Kinison and Rickles would probably have me buying a Kia or a case of Bud Heavy today!

Kinison's hologram doing any kind of car ad would be dark/morbid as ****, but also pretty hilarious if it featured him screaming

Advertisement
But under that logic, why would companies today not be making ads like jordan v bird or mean joe or Budweiser frogs? If those ads were pure, on target, noncontroversial and iconic (which they were), what is it about today's climate in your view that has lead to such ads not being made anymore?

But under that logic, why would companies today not be making ads like jordan v bird or mean joe or Budweiser frogs? If those ads were pure, on target, noncontroversial and iconic (which they were), what is it about today's climate in your view that has lead to such ads not being made anymore?

Maybe because today's Mckinsey analytics-driven world of trying to ensure every decision maximizes the most amount of value possible has sterilized any creativity, and you get lazy generic ads with cheap celebrity cameos, or even cheaper emotional heat?

Good time for geography lesson on the tale of two Kansas City's - Missouri and Kansas. Significant population resides across the state line in Kansas. Wouldn't be surprised if more than half players live on Kansas side & large % of ticket holders live in Kansas suburbs.

If you have been to KC.

Guarantee all/most of players amd coaches live in Overland Park.

That is in Kansas btw.

What POTUS 45 should have added was "Great States of Kansas/Missouri".

Advertisement
Maybe because today's Mckinsey analytics-driven world of trying to ensure every decision maximizes the most amount of value possible has sterilized any creativity, and you get lazy generic ads with cheap celebrity cameos, or even cheaper emotional heat?
Well said. I think both factors are at play. There is no question that the world of comedy has been under attack from the PC Police in the last half decade more than ever before. I think you see that timidness reflected in things like superbowl ads as well. Heck, I thought the best ad last year was the group in the elevator who kept descending to floors of greater madness. It was an entertaining spot; albeit, not a very effective one as I couldn't even tell you who it was for. LOL Yet even that ad got attacked by the PC Police. I don't even remember what for... maybe offending vegans or something.

While I personally prefer Shakira, your logic is flawed here and that's even ignoring putting the word "dirty" before an ethnicity.

Shakira is half Lebanese and her father is actually a dirty New Yorker by birth. J-Lo actually has probably spent more time in Miami in her life than Shakira and at least fake fronts for the Canes. So that makes them at minimum pretty equal in being representative of here.

I'm just glad Saint Gloooooria wasn't somehow woven into the show.
Sorry, should have clarified. Not ethnicity but city. I appreciate the follow up and guidance.

You wouldn't make it out of, New York City or Long Island/Strong Island - truthfully. Just going how you have to mention Jennifer Lopez and her heritage and/or the country she likes to represent. Its how the Latin Kings used to use the word "Latin" even when the mainstream stated how any street gang is bad.

Jennifer Lopez was born in New York City

You probably would have no idea why most of the descent; Prefer to hear the words - Latina / Latino
Do you live in New York or are you one of the many that have left the state because of high taxes and sh**y schools? I wouldn't make it out of the areas you speak of because I wouldn't be there in the first place.

Thank you for your opinion and guidance.

Advertisement

Cool story. That kid was like a living bolt of lightning when he shot out of that tunnel last night! You can tell he's special; just had a spark about him. I had never heard of him before. Remember the name!
Kid is an actor and a ham......don't know if all that camera work will turn into major College performance,........................ but it was entertaining, and he had a cool personality..

Advertisement
Lot's of crying about the "PC Police" when I see both sides of the political aisle crying about anything they don't agree with. And as has been mentioned, are the legendary commercials that edgy? Are bottles of beer playing football that edgy? That went on for years. Mean Joe drinking a coke and saying thanks to a kid? So edgy.

Lot's of crying about the "PC Police" when I see both sides of the political aisle crying about anything they don't agree with. And as has been mentioned, are the legendary commercials that edgy? Are bottles of beer playing football that edgy? That went on for years. Mean Joe drinking a coke and saying thanks to a kid? So edgy.
Coke? Do you really think these big greedy corporations should be exploiting small children and getting them hooked on sugar and caffeine laden drinks that will lead to obesity and diabetes?!!!

You monster.

Advertisement
Back