Comments on this comment?

Hes saying Texas HS's have the best weight rooms, coaches, etc. etc.

The only way to settle these types of arguments is on the field.

The last time the top HS team from Florida played the top HS from Texas was in 08', and the Florida team won...but that's still too small a sample size to say Florida HSFB is better than Texas HSFB.

Florida & Texas need to get some type of annual, early season tournament going to put this matter to bed.

Advertisement
The only way to settle these types of arguments is on the field.

The last time the top HS team from Florida played the top HS from Texas was in 08', and the Florida team won...but that's still too small a sample size to say Florida HSFB is better than Texas HSFB.

Florida & Texas need to get some type of annual, early season tournament going to put this matter to bed.

That is not what they are saying though. No one is saying Texas HSFB is better than Florida.
They are saying they are better developed.

Let me give you an example to explain it better.

Here is the hypothetical example.

I take a defense of Ray Lewis, Ed reed, Warren Sapp, Sean Taylor, Neon Deon, etc. etc. and have them get coached up from middle school through HS by some random schitty coaches.

Then I take a bunch of scrawny nerdy librarian type dudes and have them get coached up by the greatest offensive coaches in history. That team will be better developed, but they are going to get smoked by the other team.

That is what they are saying. Texas develops players better, but they just aren't as talented as the So Fla teams.

Herman is right but too bad Texas doesn't have the best talent and development can be improved upon.

I just saw this thread and didn't read the whole thing, so apologies if I said anything that's already been said. But I feel like I have a bit of a unique perspective on this because I played and coached HS ball in South Florida and worked as a sports reporter in Southeast Texas. Tom Herman is right, Texas does have the most developed HS players in the country. The coaches get paid really well, the weight rooms are, at least in bigger areas, top notch. Schools get an athletic period during the day that can supplement practice. I know at the school I coached at in Dade, there was no athletic period. Everything we needed to do for football had to be done before school, after school, or in any possible free periods during the day.

That being said, I've heard from college coaches that they love Florida prospects because of how raw they tend to be. Now, that's an indictment on coaching, but you guys familiar with coaching in FL shouldn't be surprised. Pay is low, facilities can be bleh. Now that's obviously not every coach in Florida. But look at how many kids you see from FL who played one position in HS wind up going to college and play another position and flourish. They tend to just get thrown out on the field and let their God-given ability do the work. In Texas, the players are refined from early on. Also, the school districts go by city, not county in Texas. So a one-high school district can have one or two middle schools totally dedicated to running the HS system. So by the time they get to HS, they're refining instead of teaching brand new stuff.

So I agree with Herman, but I think Texas prospects tend to have lower ceilings than FL.

Advertisement
Well if you consider missing a bowl or losing to ******* Indiana as "pretty well" then we have different definitions of the term. I guess if that is your goal then sure getting mainly 3 stars from Florida will certainly have us perform "pretty well". The majority of FAU and FIUs players are 3 and 4 stars. They make up more than half of their team composite rankings.

If you want to talk UCF and USF. USF was barely bowl elligible last year and got man handled by a ton of G5 teams.
UCF beats all the G5 teams and a handful of bottom feeder P5 teams. If you want the highlight of our season to be beating Pitt or beating an Auburn team that doesn't want to be playing a G5 team that has a ton of talent sitting. Then sure lets stack the squad with florida 3 stars.

I have no idea if you are right with your last statement, but I wouldn't bet against it. However, that really isn't the point. The point is if you stack a team full of florida 3 stars and go against a team stacked with 4 stars the 3 star team is going to lose.
You do realized the 3 star and under players that make up a majority of the roster at FIU and FAU are guys that have not only been passed up by the big Florida 3, ucf and usf but also pretty much every single p5 program that raids the area for talent. There are so many good players here that they can still field competitive teams with a bunch of guys who were not even top 50 at their position in the state. And no, their rosters are not made up of mostly 3 and 4 star players. Most of the 3 star players they have are on the lower end of the rating scale too.

While I generally agree with what Herman said, he's going to learn a valuable lesson, as UM coaches will trot his quote out to any Florida recruits that are considering Texas.

You do realized the 3 star and under players that make up a majority of the roster at FIU and FAU are guys that have not only been passed up by the big Florida 3, ucf and usf but also pretty much every single p5 program that raids the area for talent. There are so many good players here that they can still field competitive teams with a bunch of guys who were not even top 50 at their position in the state. And no, their rosters are not made up of mostly 3 and 4 star players. Most of the 3 star players they have are on the lower end of the rating scale too.

Wrong. FAU had 45 3 and 4 star players on their roster last year and 28 of their 33 commits are 3 stars.
FIU had 38 3 and 4 star players and 17 of their 8 commits were 3 stars.

I understand your point, but it doesn't change the fact that teams made up of mainly 3 star players from Florida are not going to be able to compete with teams of 4 and 5 star players from OOS like some people are trying to say.

Are 3 stars from Florida better than other states? Probably. Are they better than 4 stars from other states? No.

Advertisement
Back