Coaching Comment on Bill Clark (UAB) and Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina)

Advertisement
I’d be more than Happy to give Kiffin a chance over Manny. Would have made so much more sense and still does if Mario won’t take the spot but if we decide to can Manny, you have to make Mario tell you no before moving in on Kiffin.
Mario is definitely on the list, I just have Kiffin and some others ahead of him.

Al Golden never had the success either Clark or Chadwell have right now, especially with the circumstances around. Golden had two winning campaigns in five seasons.

Yes, because UGA has a talent gap about as big as the Grand Canyon compared to a college that is paying his HC 550k per year. We had enough trouble with UAB last season.
Don’t want to defend Golden but Temple was 3-31 the prior three seasons and kicked out of the Big Least. They were losing badly to G5 teams. Golden was considered for the UCLA, Cincinnati (replace Kelly), and Tennessee (went to Kiffin) jobs. Wished he’d have been offered and taken one of them. The point was he the ‘young-up-and-coming lower tier coach’ of the month and failed rather miserably.

Chadwell would be my pick if my choice is between the two. Nothing against Clark.

Both of them are 25x better compared to Manny. Both of them scheme and coach their players up and bring to perform at their highest level.

Coastal Carolina was a 3-9 football team in their conference when Chadwell took over. UABs program was literally dead in the mid 2010s.

Dont tell me about these coaches and how they dont have major college experience. They have made low-tier programs into football teams that compete for top-25 rankings.

Lets see

Neither have coached at P5 level -strike 1
Neither have any ties to South Florida - strike 2
Neither have any long term substained success - strike 3

Not saying they won’t be great coaches but they are not ready to HC at Miami, just like Manny wasn’t.

We need a coach who has been a HC at P5 level, has ties to South Florida, and have proven he can build a program.

Tier 1 -Mark Stoops, Mario Cristobal, Lane Kiffin
Tier 2 -Eli Drinkwitz

Last edited:
Advertisement
We're stuck with Manny, but he needs a real DC and to explore other option at OC.

Advertisement
We're stuck with Manny, but he needs a real DC and to explore other option at OC.
It’s not about the coordinators my man, the problem is him. He can have elite coordinators on both sides of the ball and we’ll still be an average team. He just doesn’t have it in him to be a good HC. End of story.

It’s not about the coordinators my man, the problem is him. He can have elite coordinators on both sides of the ball and we’ll still be an average team. He just doesn’t have it in him to be a good HC. End of story.

You're likely right, but even though he's calling the defense and such this year, make no mistake that was his defense last year as well. He's missed on offense.

Mario
Freeze
Allen

tier 2
Billy Napier
Clark
Western Carolina dude
Billy Napier doesn’t get talked about enough. Teams play hard noses football, show up, and are fun to watch. But that is who the LSU fans are screaming for rn.

Advertisement
Would it concern you neither has any connection to P5-level college football, nor does anyone on their staffs?

Yes, it concerns me, which is why I'll have to give a hard *** pass to both of em'.

I remember Neal Brown was another flavor of the month small school coach that some wanted, He's 12-12 at WVU.

Ditto with Scott Satterfield, He's 13-13 at Louisville.

Urban, or Stoops, or bust, P...E...R...I...O...D...!...!...!

Yes, it concerns me, which is why I'll have to give a hard *** pass to both of em'.

I remember Neal Brown was another flavor of the month small school coach that some wanted, He's 12-12 at WVU.

Ditto with Scott Satterfield, He's 13-13 at Louisville.

Urban, or Stoops, or bust, P...E...R...I...O...D...!...!...!
I assume the last line is a joke.

My concern wasn‘t necessarily they’re coaching at UAB or CC. My concern was neither has a past connection to major P5 college football. If they were P5 assistants or coordinators cutting their HC teeth at the G5 level, that’s one thing. And a good thing. I’m sure both are well-respected in the small coaching fraternity but could they attract top assistants? Or do they just bring in their current staff, who also lack P5 experience?

And then what about recruiting?

They aren’t hard passes by any means, but I think the questions are legitimate.

Advertisement
I’d be more than Happy to give Kiffin a chance over Manny. Would have made so much more sense and still does if Mario won’t take the spot but if we decide to can Manny, you have to make Mario tell you no before moving in on Kiffin.

I would put Kiffin over Cristobal. Scheme coach vs culture coach. Every hire since Coker has been a culture coach. Passed on both Leach and Mullen TWICE because the admin wanted another culture coach. After four misses in a row, we might want to try something different now.

Kiffen isn't leaving the SEC for the ACC!

Now that the players can have deals what about Jim Tressel. I'm sure he would be a cheap option and he knows what it takes to have some success

Don’t overthink it….I 1000% guarantee if we make a move, and I don’t think we will, the first call is going to Cristobal. That’s what the BOT will want. This is not conjecture.

Like I said though, I don’t see it happening unless the wheels come off. Manny will manage to win 8-9 games and get another year.

Advertisement
Back