Coming out of High School: Kaaya vs. N’Kosi (Long)

Kaaya had a NFL offense his first year at Miami. Perry does't have the line that Kaaya had

Nobody at the time thought Miami had NFL caliber offensive linemen, except maybe Brandon Linder and Darling. Darling was serviceable at left tackle and got beaten like a drum against speed rushers. It's what is killing him in the NFL because every end is explosive. Linder was a slam dunk. Very talented kid.

I'll bet a paycheck that Donaldson gets drafted. Gauthier is on track to play at the next level. Moving Darling to the inside just save his career especially at the next level. Guard is where he needs to play and I think he'll be very good for us there. The question is can McDermott and St. Louis step it up at tackle?

I think you meant Flowers at left tackle.

Yes, lol.

Advertisement
You can be a dumb dude and play the fck out of QB. Vinny Testaverde was never confused with a brain surgeon.

A lot of the stuff that the greats do is innate. They have that 6th sense where they feel pressure that you can't plan to see or feel, and they make a slight move to avoid it. You can be the smartest guy in the world and freeze up with a pass rush bearing down on you.

Good points. Kaaya is an incredibly smart guy but he never had that ability to handle pressure. I don't think that's something that can be taught. It's not speed or running ability that keeps you from getting sacked, it's quick thinking. Lamar Jackson got sacked more than any other P5 quarterback in the nation last year.

I've been trying for years to teach guys that foot speed from a QB has almost nothing to do with taking or not taking sacks. I even provided a list of the top 20 most sacks against a QB in a season in NFL history. **** near 90% of that list was mobile QBs with great speed. It's almost all about ability to feel pressure and make subtle moves and the ability to process information quickly under pressure and get the ball out of your hand quickly.

Most Hurricane fans are optimistic about the 2017 season (not Smokey, of course). The one position that dampens our optimism is the QB position, a position that is arguably the most important in the sport. Can N’Kosi Perry do what Brady Kaaya did just 3 years ago and win the starting job? I’ll try and answer this question by comparing N’Kosi Perry to Brady Kaaya coming out of High School.

(Disclaimer: Most of this piece is pure speculation/conjecture. The aim of this piece is to provide some parameters/categories by which we can evaluate N’Kosi coming into college and compare him with our last True Freshman QB to win the starting job. If there are other key variables I failed to include, discuss them below. If you think I’m wrong, tell me why. I’m just trying to generate some discussion.)

A. Productivity and Efficiency (Advantage N’Kosi)

(Disclaimer: I’m not considering surrounding talent, level of competition, offensive system, and competency of the OC. These are probably all variables that significantly effect the metrics looked at below.)

Overall: Coming out of High School, N’kosi is actually the QB that was more efficient, although Brad was more productive. Kaaya's greater production, however, stems from his more numerous attempts, not from his overall effectiveness.
- QB Rating Senior Season: Bard-116.3, N’Kosi-130.5
- Completion Percentage: B-.62 (224/361), N-.646 (106/164)
- Total Passing Yards: B- 3,855 (240.0 y/g), N- 1,778 (177/8 y/g)
- TD/Int: B- 27/6, 24/4 (Bard had less INT’s/attempt, 'Kosi more TD’s/attempt)

This is kind of a mixed bag, but I’ll give the nod to N’kosi here, who was more efficient in high school than Brad, with a better completion percentage and QB rating. However, Kaaya was way more productive (more throwing attempts), which means more experience/reps. However, one reason for the big discrepancy in total yards above is that Kaaya played 6 more games (16) than N’Kosi (10) his senior year. **One question I’m interested in knowing the answer to is how did N’Kosi fare against ‘tough’ competition vs. Kaaya against tough competition? Those stats are probably more indicative of Freshman success than the total stats I used above.**

B. (Football) IQ (Advantage Brad?)

This is mainly speculation and not a knock on N’Kosi at all. The reason I give Brad the nod here is because there just simply aren’t many QBs with the intelligence and IQ that Kaaya purportedly possessed. Kaaya had a 4.0 GPA coming out of High School. He also had the highest Wonderlic test score of all the QB’s in the NFL draft this year. Could it be that N’Kosi is smarter? Yes. Could it be that N’Kosi has a better ‘Football’ IQ? Sure, but I wouldn’t bet on either.

Why does this matter? I would argue that this is one of the most important variables because I think it directly correlates with the time it takes a QB to pick up/sufficiently master the playbook and adjust to the more complex college defenses, the two biggest hurdles a Freshman QB has to overcome, imo. Kosi could have all the talent in the world, but if he can’t grasp the nuances of our offense, which is probably a very hard thing to do in such a short period of time, he simply can’t adequately perform.

Quote: On a recruiting visit to UM, Coley recalled, Kaaya took out his notebook in an offensive staff meeting. Coley had seen that before. But what really surprised him was that, in subsequent phone calls, Kaaya “would speak in our language … like, ‘I saw you guys hit Rodeo against Florida,’ ” Coley said. “I knew right then and there, this is a different kid.”

C. Dedication/Preparation/Maturity (Advantage Brad?)

This is total speculation and again not a knock on N’Kosi at all. I say advantage Brad, using the same reasoning above. There just simply aren’t that many income Freshman QB’s that possessed the maturity and dedication that Kaaya supposedly displayed. I linked a few articles below that specifically talk about this. This level of dedication and preparation, in combination with natural intelligence, is probably what secured him the job. One other factor that I think is worth mentioning is that Kaaya had a private QB coach, Rudy Carpenter, which probably greatly aided him in learning the playbook and fine-tuning his mechanics.

Link (1) UM freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya prepared for journey ahead - Sun Sentinel
Link (2) Hurricanes QB Brad Kaaya impresses with preparedness,...

D. Mechanics (No Idea?)

Kaaya was generally praised for his mechanics (throwing motion, plant-foot, shoulder angles, etc.) coming into college. As mentioned above, Kaaya also had a private instructor. Someone who knows QBs and has watched both of their films can probably comment on this better than I can.

E. Weight (Advantage Brad)

Brad was well over 200 lbs coming into college, N’Kosi is around 185 lbs. Although this probably isn’t a significant variable imo, but rather more so a durability question. Can N'Kosi hold up if he wins the job?

F. Competition (Advantage Brad)

Brad was competing against a grad transfer, Heaps, who also had to learn the offense from scratch. On the other hand, Rosier is probably more talented than Heaps and has been in the system for a year. N'Kosi has a greater uphill battle than Kaaya IMO.

Summary: It’s extremely hard to win the starting QB job as a Freshman. Brad was probably a more finished product coming into college than N’kosi. He also possessed the intelligence and dedication necessary to learn the playbook and quickly adapt to college football. I’d say based on the variables above, Brad was better situated to win the starting role than N’kosi is now. Perhaps, however, Perry’s greater ability and talent will allow him to compensate.

So after reading this post several times I can only conclude that Rosier will be our QB this year....

Outside of stats in high school(Watson put up gaudy stats in Gainesville highschool) if you compared kaaya to Watson he would have an advantage over Watson too in majority of those categories and we all know who's the better qb in that debate ...

Coming out of High School Kaaya had a state championship and was one of the Elite Eleven...Watson is by far the superior QB in college...Sometimes ratings are misleading...

Another factor not really brought up is the what kind of passes were they throwing? You can look super efficient with a great completion % and TD:Int ratio if you're dinking and dunking. Teddy Bridgewater comes to mind. Teddy is basically Sam Bradford at this point. Won't throw a pass beyond 5 yards. Plays it safe. In the end his completion % looks nice, but the production and wins just aren't there.

Considering Teddy's W/L in college and the fact that he's an NFL starting QB...I would say that's a terrible example.

I don't see how. You can get away with a lot in college. Tim Tebow is considered one of the best ever by many, and we all know what kind of qb he is. Teddy hasn't done squat in the pros other than dink and dunk. Peterson was that Vikings offense. Teddy hasn't really done anything that made the team good. He doesn't throw for many yards. His TD/Int should be better considering how safe he plays it. His Compl % is the only real positive.

Bradford played for a horrible Rams team, and no he wasn't great, but how much of that was being with the Rams? You put him on the same Vikings team, without Peterson, and he had the best year of his career. ****, his second best year was with the Eagles.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back