Coming out of High School: Kaaya vs. N’Kosi (Long)

Advertisement
Something else unmentioned. Something Kaaya had none of is mobility and what it does for an offense. How much easier it is to put defenders in conflict when a QB can improvise and extend plays. Also, how much RPO Perry ran in HS.

How many times do I have to tell ppl this. Perry was running the same exact offense in high school. Richt personally hand picked Perry. Perry said it himself, that he felt like he's better than Jameis Winston right now. Perry>>Kaaya

Perry isn't a Lamar Jackson or Teddy Bridgewater. I think he will be more Jacory Harris

Teddy Bridgewater was a pass first QB who used his mobility to extend plays while continually looking to pass the ball. He wasn't much of a runner, but could do it. His average 40 time is 4.79. Perry's 40 time is 4.8 and he is also a pass first QB.

The comparisons between Teddy and N'Kosi are good comparison's. Richt has even continually compared him to Charlie Ward, who was another pass first QB with the mobility to extend plays or run.

None of the 3 of them are like Lamar Jackson. Lamar is a run first QB and is very fast. Lamar is not a very good passer and has accuracy issues.

Last edited:
Kaaya had a NFL offense his first year at Miami. Perry does't have the line that Kaaya had

Advertisement
OP: Appreciate what u brought to the table. Pretty sure this thread will be derailed soon enough, so let me chime in b4 it does. I think Brad doesn't get a fair shake by a lot of fans. As a matter of fact, I too, was very critical of him. In the off season, I like going to YouTube and re-watching games. Brad was very, very good for us. Freshman year, we had a deplorable defense that gave away several victories. Sophomore year, Coley all of sudden became a mad scientist w 4 play calls after the script died. Last year, the RPO was not a fit for him, like at all. When he was allowed to just let it fly, we thrived. All in all, he was a very solid QB for us.

However, when things weren't perfect, Brad panicked like a hoe walking into a church. It was god awful. He had 0 improvisation skills. Teams realized this and they decided to blitz crazy or bump WR off their course. It all flustered him into making really dumb decisions, which caused his stock to plummet.

Perry, on the other hand, plays football like back yard football. Favre, Rodgers, Winston, Rothlesberger, Elway, Vince Young all have(had) that back yard football mentality. No, I'm not comparing Perry to them; I'm highlighting how successful a QB can be w that type of play and mentality. He's obviously accurate, but most importantly when things breaks down, he improvs. I don't expect Perry to put up the stats Brad put up, but what I do expect is him keeping defenses honest, moving the chains with consistency, and not losing us any ball games. I think he'll be a better leader too. There's a certain air of confidence that surrounds him that we didn't always get w Brad. All in all, I truly feel he'll be our starter and I think he'll lead us to our first ACCCG by playing smart, fun football.

When you look at Perry on film he has the "it" factor. I don't care if his competition were a step above pee-wees.
He has a way of making something out of nothing, avoiding the rush, keeping on his feet, keeping his eyes down field and flicking the deep ball easily like he is throwing darts in a pub. He has intincts of a pocket passer and can use his feet to get out of trouble. Dimensions and dynamics we have not seen here.

I trust that our coaching staff knows his strengths and will keep things as simple as possible for him to learn on the job, Utilizing a fast break tempo at times can also keep him in rhythm and keep the defense off guard from changing personnel.
Rpo, some Zone reads to utilize his legs a bit, quick throws to the to the WRs and RBs and we will be in business. Too much talent not to be successful.
There may be some growing pains and mistakes as with most QBs but with our Defense and Special teams I think we will be fine.

Last edited:
Kaaya had a NFL offense his first year at Miami. Perry does't have the line that Kaaya had

Nobody at the time thought Miami had NFL caliber offensive linemen, except maybe Brandon Linder and Darling. Flowers was serviceable at left tackle and got beaten like a drum against speed rushers. It's what is killing him in the NFL because every end is explosive. Linder was a slam dunk. Very talented kid.

I'll bet a paycheck that Donaldson gets drafted. Gauthier is on track to play at the next level. Moving Darling to the inside just save his career especially at the next level. Guard is where he needs to play and I think he'll be very good for us there. The question is can McDermott and St. Louis step it up at tackle?

Last edited:
You never factored in athleticism which Perry wins by a country mile. Brad is a very smart, hardworking kid, can make all the throws and is terrific in a clean pocket. Unfortunately, his pocket presence is his liability.

Advertisement

Nobody at the time thought Miami had NFL caliber offensive linemen, except maybe Brandon Linder and Darling. Darling was serviceable at left tackle and got beaten like a drum against speed rushers. It's what is killing him in the NFL because every end is explosive. Linder was a slam dunk. Very talented kid.

I'll bet a paycheck that Donaldson gets drafted. Gauthier is on track to play at the next level. Moving Darling to the inside just save his career especially at the next level. Guard is where he needs to play and I think he'll be very good for us there. The question is can McDermott and St. Louis step it up at tackle?

I think you meant Flowers at left tackle.

Perry isn't a Lamar Jackson or Teddy Bridgewater. I think he will be more Jacory Harris

Last thing I want to see this year are floating nerf balls lazily falling to earth, and praying that they don't get intercepted.

I've seen enough of those for one lifetime.

Let's hope he's nothing like the interception machine.

Advertisement
also the scientific fact that we will need better QB play in 2017 to avoid 8-4.

I am curious to how your opinion can be considered a scientific fact. In my opinion, I don't think there is a scenario in which we only win 8 games this year, regardless of who is under center.

If Brad Kaaya was still here 8 wins would've been a very strong possibility

OP: Appreciate what u brought to the table. Pretty sure this thread will be derailed soon enough, so let me chime in b4 it does. I think Brad doesn't get a fair shake by a lot of fans. As a matter of fact, I too, was very critical of him. In the off season, I like going to YouTube and re-watching games. Brad was very, very good for us. Freshman year, we had a deplorable defense that gave away several victories. Sophomore year, Coley all of sudden became a mad scientist w 4 play calls after the script died. Last year, the RPO was not a fit for him, like at all. When he was allowed to just let it fly, we thrived. All in all, he was a very solid QB for us.

However, when things weren't perfect, Brad panicked like a hoe walking into a church. It was god awful. He had 0 improvisation skills. Teams realized this and they decided to blitz crazy or bump WR off their course. It all flustered him into making really dumb decisions, which caused his stock to plummet.

Perry, on the other hand, plays football like back yard football. Favre, Rodgers, Winston, Rothlesberger, Elway, Vince Young all have(had) that back yard football mentality. No, I'm not comparing Perry to them; I'm highlighting how successful a QB can be w that type of play and mentality. He's obviously accurate, but most importantly when things breaks down, he improvs. I don't expect Perry to put up the stats Brad put up, but what I do expect is him keeping defenses honest, moving the chains with consistency, and not losing us any ball games. I think he'll be a better leader too. There's a certain air of confidence that surrounds him that we didn't always get w Brad. All in all, I truly feel he'll be our starter and I think he'll lead us to our first ACCCG by playing smart, fun football.

One thing that's getting missed (I'm just thinkin of it now) is that we don't necessarily need huge production. If Perry could pick up some 3rd downs, we can win a lot of games. Miami has been horrible at converting 3rd down for years now and if Perry can "improv" his way to a 50%+ rate, I think that would do a lot for both the O and D. I think he can throw for fewer yards than BK did as a freshmen and still be very successful.

Advertisement
If you expect a Deshaun Watson or Teddy B outta Perry you're probably gonna be disappointed. Just saying... he's only a freshman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing that's getting missed (I'm just thinkin of it now) is that we don't necessarily need huge production. If Perry could pick up some 3rd downs, we can win a lot of games. Miami has been horrible at converting 3rd down for years now and if Perry can "improv" his way to a 50%+ rate, I think that would do a lot for both the O and D. I think he can throw for fewer yards than BK did as a freshmen and still be very successful.

Exactly

You can be a dumb dude and play the fck out of QB. Vinny Testaverde was never confused with a brain surgeon.

A lot of the stuff that the greats do is innate. They have that 6th sense where they feel pressure that you can't plan to see or feel, and they make a slight move to avoid it. You can be the smartest guy in the world and freeze up with a pass rush bearing down on you.

You can be a dumb dude and play the fck out of QB. Vinny Testaverde was never confused with a brain surgeon.

A lot of the stuff that the greats do is innate. They have that 6th sense where they feel pressure that you can't plan to see or feel, and they make a slight move to avoid it. You can be the smartest guy in the world and freeze up with a pass rush bearing down on you.

Good points. Kaaya is an incredibly smart guy but he never had that ability to handle pressure. I don't think that's something that can be taught. It's not speed or running ability that keeps you from getting sacked, it's quick thinking. Lamar Jackson got sacked more than any other P5 quarterback in the nation last year.

I also think system plays an important role into whether or not a freshman QB can handle the reins. I think what Richt is trying to run is more in tune with what Perry has been running in high school. Where as Coley's vertical offense would have been difficult for anybody (even a dude as smart as Kaaya) to pick up right away.

There's tons of high school coaches running some form of watered down spread where the QB has only one or two reads and pretty much knows where the ball is going before the snap. It's one of the reasons, freshmen have been able to make a bigger impact in recent years where in the past, you'd never start a freshman QB or even a redshirt freshman QB. You don't need a kid to be able to go through a long list of progressions on every play. Of course you'd prefer an experienced guy that can handle the tougher aspects to the position but playing a young guy isn't the death knell it used to be.

Advertisement
Back