Columbus - Southridge Clips and Notes

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
First, some quick thoughts as Southridge won 26-15 in a matchup that could decided the region down the line.

1) Trajan Bandy had a very productive night -- other than Kemore Gamble using his height advantage to post him up in the end zone for a touchdown. Bandy had a 55-yard pick-6 in the first quarter where he jumped the screen and took it all the way. He also blocked two extra point attempts. Just always around the football.

2) Kemore Gamble had 2 TDs for the Spartans -- one as the wildcat QB from a yard out and the other was the aforementioned fade pass TD on Bandy. You'll see that clip below. I'm starting to wonder if Miami should make another run at him because he could be physically dominant once he hits a college strength and conditioning program.

3) Billy Gibson had a phenomenal night for Southridge. I've described him as an in-the-box safety and it seemed like he was lined up right near the line of scrimmage on every single play last night. He loves to throw is body around in run support and his instincts are top notch. Manny Diaz will love his passion for the game.

4) 2018 WR Mark Pope is a must-get for Miami -- and that belief is validated every time I watch Pope play live. His punt return TD (below) helped break the game open against Columbus last night. Might be the #3 he's wearing, but he moves like Stacy Coley to me. Similar body types too.

5) C.J. Henderson played some more cornerback for the Explorers last night, as well as receiver and running back. It seems like Columbus is still trying to figure out how to use him and he also might not be completely 100% as he's been dealing with a nagging ankle issue. His touchdown reception from last night is below.

Original video is from SFHSSPORTS.com, but I have the Cane-related clips from the game here.

Bandy Pick-6

[VINE]5JJipVuiwb9[/VINE]

Bandy blocked XPs

[VINE]5JJvvXHjEV0[/VINE]

Bandy punt return

[VINE]5JJtLQAZXwl[/VINE]

Pope punt return TD

[VINE]5JJHxM0mtdi[/VINE]

Henderson receiving TD

[VINE]5JJUumVzlUM[/VINE]

Gamble receiving TD

[VINE]5JJQziAWh9O[/VINE]

Advertisement
Yes, I was at the game to and your assesment is 100% on the Money. Gibson was playing like a LB and seemed to be in almost all of the run plays but yet able to get back on D on pass plays. I remember he dived to swat down a pass to an open wide receiver. He is a must get. I can see how Bandy can get burnt playing the larger WR. That Gamble kid was so much taller than him and he also did not turn properly to see the ball. The throw was also perfect. Henderson is just a pure athlete. You can put that kid anywhere and he can play. He had a couple to good bursts as a runner, fast on his TD reception, and played D real well. Jobe also did a great job. Hi just needs to fill out a bit. I was not impressed by that CB for Southridge who is getting all the hype, forgot his name. Other than that, Columbus does not look like the Columbus teams of the past. They will get blown out if they get into the playoffs. Southridge is a team that just needs to add more pieces to the puzzle. Their putter averaged like 15 or 20 yards per punt, horrible. Other than that, they have a way to got to get to the elite level in South Florida.

i was very impressed with Kemore Gamble last night. 6'4 215 -220 body frame, I love his ability to get open in space and create separation from his defenders. Hopefully Miami makes a run at him against, because Florida is getting a good one.

Another player is 2018 DE James Head Jr. He has a nose for the football, he recovered 2 sacks with 3-5 tackles & 1 INT. I spoke to 2019 Miami commit Diamant* Howard last night and he told me, 2017 commit Billy Gibson, 2018 WR commit Daquris Wiggins and himself are actively recruit Head to join them at Miami. Head Jr. currently does not have a Miami offer.

I'm a Kemore Gamble fan. He may not look like David Njoku but every time he's in a competitive environment he performs.

Thanks for the tape Pete. Bandy showed tremendous closing speed on that pick 6. Just closed 11 yards in the blink of an eye. ELITE burst and reaction skills there. Good sht.

Advertisement
Did the new staff stop recruiting gamble? Or did he decommit because he really didn't want to go to Miami anymore

IMO, Mark Pope is the most electrifying offensive athlete in South Fla for the 2018 class.

Both, him & Lorenzo Lingard are absolute must gets, I'm talking complete program changing players that can come in and have an immediate impact.

I said from the second we dropped Gamble that we were making a mistake. Kid will be a productive player in college.

Advertisement
i was very impressed with Kemore Gamble last night. 6'4 215 -220 body frame, I love his ability to get open in space and create separation from his defenders. Hopefully Miami makes a run at him against, because Florida is getting a good one.

Another player is 2018 DE James Head Jr. He has a nose for the football, he recovered 2 sacks with 3-5 tackles & 1 INT. I spoke to 2019 Miami commit Diamant* Howard last night and he told me, 2017 commit Billy Gibson, 2018 WR commit Daquris Wiggins and himself are actively recruit Head to join them at Miami. Head Jr. currently does not have a Miami offer.

Heads dad was a beast back in like 2000 for southridge at de...ithink they went to states then or the game before states.

I like Gamble but he is kind of redundant for what we have.

We have Haskins and Irving jr as two guys that play the same exact position as him.

Heads dad was a beast back in like 2000 for southridge at de...ithink they went to states then or the game before states.

The year before. The 1999 season, where they lost in the state championship against Tallahassee Lincoln. Have some friends that were on that squad. Head's dad was a monster in hs. I think he played both DE and DT.

Advertisement
I like Gamble but he is kind of redundant for what we have.

We have Haskins and Irving jr as two guys that play the same exact position as him.

Now that I've watched Haskins, he's more of an in-line guy. Very powerful.

IMO, Mark Pope is the most electrifying offensive athlete in South Fla for the 2018 class.

Both, him & Lorenzo Lingard are absolute must gets, I'm talking complete program changing players that can come in and have an immediate impact.

If I were to pick just one baller from that game it would be Pope. He looked like a man among boys. Very athletic and very fluid. This kid is a must get.

The year before. The 1999 season, where they lost in the state championship against Tallahassee Lincoln. Have some friends that were on that squad. Head's dad was a monster in hs. I think he played both DE and DT.

there you go. i was a freshman in high school. Southridge had Head and another de that was also div 1 on that team. I forgot where Head commited and went to...Ridge was good that year. Lincln was loaded...Cro Thorpe and company.

Advertisement
That Lincoln team was stacked - that was the crappy Thorpe, watkins, cromartie team. From what iirc, we made serious strides with Thorpe and Watkins and almost landed them

Thats a really weak Columbus team. And losing all 3 Canes after this year. Seems CCHS is headed for a bit of a slump

If I were to pick just one baller from that game it would be Pope. He looked like a man among boys. Very athletic and very fluid. This kid is a must get.

I thought the kid was all Bama ever since that check came in...

I couldn't make it to the game, but I've seen the Gamble Td on a bunch of highlights.

Question for [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]:

[TWEET]774467194231123969[/TWEET]

IIRC, Southridge is in 2x2 10 personnel.

Pre snap alignment of the secondary/inside release/the way Bandy trailed/deep safety on the hash (jumped underneath the #2WR running the post)/reaction after the play=cover 2 zone? With no threat in the flat he continued to sink=Maybe a sinking 2? Obviously, Gamble didn't have to stack the DB. Might have been quarters, but the way Bandy stayed underneath makes me doubt it.

Shouldn't that TD be exploiting the weakness of the coverage, more than Bandy getting beat? Seems like he's in a tough position to make the play, especially against a 6'4" target.

Advertisement
Back