Colorado (6-2) vs #15 Miami (7-1)

For the stat nerds (@ALLoverCANE ) who want to ignore officiating as a factor.
Omier’s +/- was a team high -5
Nwoko’s was -19 in 9 minutes.

Omier fouling out on a phantom call was not irrelevant.

Nor was letting Colorado bump and slap defensively.

We sucked but this was probably a 10-15 point loss with competent officiating and not a 27 point embarrassment.

Only silver lining is that sometimes a beat down makes the guys listen better.

Advertisement
I think one of the most disappointing things about today’s game is we lost to a team who was playing without one of their top players and an NBA lottery pick hopeful. Biggest take for me from this game is if we’re not going to have size, we need to be tough. Can’t be small and soft, and expect things to go well against good teams.

I think I may be done with this team for a while, I can take losing money, I can take losing games, but the amount of “I dont give a F*ck“ on this team is through the roof. There is almost nothing on this team that works other than the 3. They dribble terribly, they’re selfish and have barely any assists, no one gives any effort in rebounding, the second things arent going their way they clam up. They pile on with stupid a$* penalties and hero ball with no true hero on this team. We cant defend anyone to save our lives and we cant get easy points to help us get out of a funk. 3’s and free throws is all this team has.
Problem is too many guys on this team are trying out for the NBA at the teams expense. No coincidence we’ve played our worse when the lights are brightest (on national tv) this season and in front of plenty of NBA scouts. Very selfish play. I still think L will get them right

Problem is too many guys on this team are trying out for the NBA at the teams expense. No coincidence we’ve played our worse when the lights are brightest (on national tv) this season and in front of plenty of NBA scouts. Very selfish play. I still think L will get them right

I think part of it is the team is (or some of the guys are) still trying to win a track meet but they can’t do it without slowing the other side down because the other side is actually playing defense.

Advertisement
Been a Cane since I went there in 2013 and on this board since somewhere around there. 90% of my small posts are positive about this team lol. One break and your not a fan anymore, hope you haven't said anything negative about a canes team in your 9000 posts
Blah, blah, blah, blah. "I think I may be done with this team for a while..." That says it all.

No one can consistently go get a bucket and we were blessed to have Wong who did that his entire time here so well. I think if anyone were to reach that level it would be George but probably next year, he's still way too raw right now. Poplar could be that guy but he is not as smart of a player as Wong, and that seems to be the theme with all of our starting 5. None of them play smart basketball. They all take what's given to them, but none of them are able to make something out of nothing like Wong was so able to do. If this team is to win anything it will be through cohesive team play and maybe someone stepping up. Everyone has to buy into their role and it seemed like no one bought in tonight. Hopefully they can bounce back.

No one can consistently go get a bucket and we were blessed to have Wong who did that his entire time here so well. I think if anyone were to reach that level it would be George but probably next year, he's still way too raw right now. Poplar could be that guy but he is not as smart of a player as Wong, and that seems to be the theme with all of our starting 5. None of them play smart basketball. They all take what's given to them, but none of them are able to make something out of nothing like Wong was so able to do. If this team is to win anything it will be through cohesive team play and maybe someone stepping up. Everyone has to buy into their role and it seemed like no one bought in tonight. Hopefully they can bounce back.

I think you nailed it and ironically the bolded was my hope for this year’s team… they can be really good if they play as a team (to the point they wouldn’t need last minute iso heroics as often). But they’re not anything special playing as individuals.

Advertisement
1702249502544.png

Advertisement

Hard to play 2 diminutive guards at the same time when you're also lacking size in the post. I know it won't happen but if all things were equal, Pack would be the ideal man to come off the bench because he's more of a 2 than a 1. Bensley can run the point, but what makes him the better option in the starting 5 is that he's a much better defender than Pack. Pack off the bench, brings you the scoring we're lacking after starters come out and also isn't a terrible option to give you spot minutes at the point when necessary. A starting lineup of Joseph, Poplar, George, Cleveland and Omier is a much better balanced unit with Pack, Watson, Casey and Nwoko coming off the bench.

Hard to play 2 diminutive guards at the same time when you're also lacking size in the post. I know it won't happen but if all things were equal, Pack would be the ideal man to come off the bench because he's more of a 2 than a 1. Bensley can run the point, but what makes him the better option in the starting 5 is that he's a much better defender than Pack. Pack off the bench, brings you the scoring we're lacking after starters come out and also isn't a terrible option to give you spot minutes at the point when necessary. A starting lineup of Joseph, Poplar, George, Cleveland and Omier is a much better balanced unit with Pack, Watson, Casey and Nwoko coming off the bench.
I’ve felt the same way but given pack is mr nil I don’t even bring it up because we know it’s not going to happen

This team lacks toughness and effort. Those are hard traits to coach, that’s a mindset and mentality you have to play with night in and night out.

I don’t know if we’re still riding off last season’s high, guys are looking out for themselves, or what it is. But I’ve never seen an L team consistently look so flat, listless, and disinterested.

Advertisement
One competent, long player would make a ton of difference.

Unfortunately, Casey remains awful.

Care to come back in and revise your strong opinions. anyone?
View attachment 270988
Why do this?

This team is really, really good when they play together, play hard, and play their assignments.

They’re also very, very beatable (even… bad) when they bring a half hearted defensive effort and are more worried about scoring than rebounding.

Advertisement
Back