College Teams with most players drafted last 5 years

Not surprising since both schools had a similar M.O. when they were winning titles. Attain the best talent and just out talent every opponent. It works great when your team is head and shoulders better than everyone else but if your talent level slips, even a little bit, you're going to wish you had some more innovative coaches on the sidelines.

That’s the difference between us and an Alabama, per se. Saban saw that teams like Clemson we’re going to catch (and pass) they if they didn’t adapt, here comes Jalen Hurts and a spread offense to save the day

Advertisement
We certainly haven’t recruited at a top 5 level annually in recruiting so that tells me either these classes Miami has been getting have been underrated in regards to recruiting ranking or there is indeed development going on. Miami has for the last 5 years recruited at a top 15-20 level on average but is top 5 in producing draft picks. Not saying it’s the best but something is happening obviously. I see A bunch of teams who recruit at a higher level than Miami yet have less players drafted or whatever in the last 5 years. People throw around Miami not having many premium(first round picks)draft picks too and while that’s true it also looks funny in light when you actually look at the numbers from other teams outside bama, Clemson, Ohio state in the last 5 years etc

like I always say, recruit at a higher level and then you get more premium draft picks but Miami is developing the talent they have been getting, Probably better than expected in majority of the cases but not all obviously

Looks like the talent has been there!! Maybe not 1st rounders but NFL level player's, SMH. MIAMI is 40-25 ( last 5 years) this is horrible, not sure what's the problem is in Coral Gables... Our CANES just can't WIN!

Crazy to see Miami up there and they had 1 good year during that time and that year was a fluke.

Not surprising since both schools had a similar M.O. when they were winning titles. Attain the best talent and just out talent every opponent. It works great when your team is head and shoulders better than everyone else but if your talent level slips, even a little bit, you're going to wish you had some more innovative coaches on the sidelines.
I agree with one minor caveat.

Miami always had innovative coaches on the sidelines, whether it was Howard with the Pro-Style, Jimmy with the 4-3, or Dennis' one back offense, we had cutting edge guys.

Butch -- a serviaceble at best game day coach -- brought in that mindset of simply out-talenting the guy on the other side, but the thing is, he could get away with this approach bc he is arguably one of the Top 3 talent evaluators in cfb history.

Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt ain't in the same class as Butch when it comes to recruiting or evaluating. The crazy thing is, the state of Florida is so loaded with talent they still were able to put guys in the league at a high level. We'll always be able to get the bodies. We just gotta get the mother brain at the top.

I agree with one minor caveat.

Miami always had innovative coaches on the sidelines, whether it was Howard with the Pro-Style, Jimmy with the 4-3, or Dennis' one back offense, we had cutting edge guys.

Butch -- a serviaceble at best game day coach -- brought in that mindset of simply out-talenting the guy on the other side, but the thing is, he could get away with this approach bc he is arguably one of the Top 3 talent evaluators in cfb history.

Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt ain't in the same class as Butch when it comes to recruiting or evaluating. The crazy thing is, the state of Florida is so loaded with talent they still were able to put guys in the league at a high level. We'll always be able to get the bodies. We just gotta get the mother brain at the top.
Agreed. I meant the more recent championship teams relied solely on talent. The teams of the 80’s and 90’s were cutting edge.

Advertisement
I rather not see graphics like this.
These are all, but a couple, of Golden’s players. This further intensifies the argument that we are by far the most underachieving team in CFB.

1st point
this tweet is talking about in the last 5 years not 11 years. The recent trends is more prevalent in this discussion

2nd point
Sort of true but there is hope.

Flowers just signed a 10 million a year contract and played like a pro bowl guard last year with the redskins

Dorsett had been one of the more efficient receivers in the league in terms of catching passes the last 2 years. He was off to a great start last season but when Gordon got back and they traded for Sanu his time was cut considerably. He also had a few injuries. Should thrive being the #3 in Seattle and with Russell Wilson who is arguably the best deep ball thrower in the game.

burns has been *** outside of his first year or 2 in the league. Hopefully he turns it around.

On njoku it’s ridiculous to say he’s been anywhere near a disappointment. Of course he has to work on his hands to be more consistent but He was hurt his 3rd year and just came off having a 670 yard plus season in his second year. If he’s what a disappointment is to you then what is tj hockenson who went top 10 in the draft as a tight end and had only 376 yards 2tds this last season.(njoku rookie numbers were better than that too). or another first round tight end in Hayden hurst who has been way worse than njoku through 2 years in the league.

3rd point
so what?, they are still collecting checks and playing in games. And believe it or not miami is not just putting backups in the league like you are trying to insinuate . Of course it’s not how we use to be in our early 2000 era, but why are you comparing it to that though? Recruit better classes and you get better talent it’s simple . Y’all act like it’s easy to make/stay on an nfl roster especially if you aren’t picked in a certain round

1st point
That's why I said the timeframe of this tweet makes Miami look better than the reality. 4 1st Rounders in the last 5 years looks great. 4 1st Rounders in the last 12 years doesn't look so great, especially considering those 4 guys NFL careers (to this point).

2nd point
You have a very pro-Miami take on these guys. The reality of their careers is much harsher - but yes, there's still hope for them.

Flowers played himself into the top half of starting guards in the NFL last year, and a nice $10 mil yr payday. Hopefully he's found his home and the best is yet to come. But he's not on a Pro Bowl level yet, and 2019 was his 1 good year in a 5 year career. He'll be on his 4th team in 6 years. He's far behind what's expected of a #9 overall pick. There's no way you can say he hasn't been a big disappointment through his first 5 years.

Dorsett's played his whole career with Andrew Luck & Tom Brady, so not sure what difference Russell Wilson will make. He's started 15 games in 5 years. He was on a 1 year prove it deal with a Patriots team starved for playmakers, and the Pats let him walk. The Seahawks gave him a 1 year $1 mil contract. They gave David Moore $2 mil. Dorsett isn't even the favorite for the #3 job, and isn't a lock to make the team. He's good enough to contribute somewhere, but competing for a #3 WR position is far below expectations for a 1st Round pick.

Burns didn't play at all in the last year and a half. Like...not at all. He was a healthy inactive the last half of 2019. Like Dorsett, Burns is on a 1 yr $1 mil contract, and has an uphill battle. A change of scenery will be good for him and might help jumpstart his career, but he's definitely been a disappointment for a 1st round pick.

Njoku I said was TBD, and still very young. He's showed a lot of flashes so far and will only be 24 this year. But the Browns signing Austin Hooper to the biggest contract in history for a TE isn't a good sign here. I believe in Njoku, but he's at best the #4 or #5 option for the Browns right now. I'd like to see him get traded. Njoku, Hockenson, and Hurst are still way too young to judge their careers yet, and Njoku has been the best of the 3, but none have played to their expectations in their very short careers so far.

3rd point
Of the 29 guys drafted the last 5 years, 3 maybe 4 have definite starting positions next year. Another 5 or 6 will compete to be a starter or get a good amount of playing time. But none have been difference makers. It's hard as **** to make an NFL team, so all the credit in the world to them. Props to anyone cashing an NFL paycheck.

My point is, overall players drafted data can be misleading. Of course you shouldn't compare these guys to the early 2000's. But you should be asking - how many of these guys are even starting quality players? The answer is there's a couple starters, a few good contributors - but a large majority are simply depth guys that are only getting playing time as injury fill ins.

1st point
That's why I said the timeframe of this tweet makes Miami look better than the reality. 4 1st Rounders in the last 5 years looks great. 4 1st Rounders in the last 12 years doesn't look so great, especially considering those 4 guys NFL careers (to this point).

2nd point
You have a very pro-Miami take on these guys. The reality of their careers is much harsher - but yes, there's still hope for them.

Flowers played himself into the top half of starting guards in the NFL last year, and a nice $10 mil yr payday. Hopefully he's found his home and the best is yet to come. But he's not on a Pro Bowl level yet, and 2019 was his 1 good year in a 5 year career. He'll be on his 4th team in 6 years. He's far behind what's expected of a #9 overall pick. There's no way you can say he hasn't been a big disappointment through his first 5 years.

Dorsett's played his whole career with Andrew Luck & Tom Brady, so not sure what difference Russell Wilson will make. He's started 15 games in 5 years. He was on a 1 year prove it deal with a Patriots team starved for playmakers, and the Pats let him walk. The Seahawks gave him a 1 year $1 mil contract. They gave David Moore $2 mil. Dorsett isn't even the favorite for the #3 job, and isn't a lock to make the team. He's good enough to contribute somewhere, but competing for a #3 WR position is far below expectations for a 1st Round pick.

Burns didn't play at all in the last year and a half. Like...not at all. He was a healthy inactive the last half of 2019. Like Dorsett, Burns is on a 1 yr $1 mil contract, and has an uphill battle. A change of scenery will be good for him and might help jumpstart his career, but he's definitely been a disappointment for a 1st round pick.

Njoku I said was TBD, and still very young. He's showed a lot of flashes so far and will only be 24 this year. But the Browns signing Austin Hooper to the biggest contract in history for a TE isn't a good sign here. I believe in Njoku, but he's at best the #4 or #5 option for the Browns right now. I'd like to see him get traded. Njoku, Hockenson, and Hurst are still way too young to judge their careers yet, and Njoku has been the best of the 3, but none have played to their expectations in their very short careers so far.

3rd point
Of the 29 guys drafted the last 5 years, 3 maybe 4 have definite starting positions next year. Another 5 or 6 will compete to be a starter or get a good amount of playing time. But none have been difference makers. It's hard as **** to make an NFL team, so all the credit in the world to them. Props to anyone cashing an NFL paycheck.

My point is, overall players drafted data can be misleading. Of course you shouldn't compare these guys to the early 2000's. But you should be asking - how many of these guys are even starting quality players? The answer is there's a couple starters, a few good contributors - but a large majority are simply depth guys that are only getting playing time as injury fill ins.
This Is flowers 3rd team. His second team was with the redskins where he rebounded his career in a multi year 10 million dollar a year contract.

The browns new head coach led the the league in 2 tight end set personnel which is why they went out and got another tight end because they use that formation so often. I want njoku to get traded too to get more targets but next year he will be the browns 3rd/4th option likely 4th.

in regards to dorsett there are plenty receivers that were drafted high(Josh doctson, Kevin White, Corey Coleman, Laquon treadwell) that aren’t even competing for a 3rd receiver role and what does that matter either way? Breshard perriman was a #3 receiver who was also picked in the first round late and did well in that role as well. Furthermore listing Dorsett contract salary is pretty erroneous considering how weak the market was for receivers this year. Take a look at what nelson agholor got who has done more than every receiver drafted in the first round other than amari Cooper since 2015. Receiver market was just weak. Only ones that got relatively paid was breshad perriman and Robbie Anderson

Last edited:
Advertisement
This Is flowers 3rd team. His second team was with the redskins where he rebounded his career in a multi year 10 million dollar a year contract.

The browns new head coach led the the league in 2 tight end set personnel which is why they went out and got another tight end because they use that formation so often. I want njoku to get traded too to get more targets but next year he will be the browns 3rd/4th option likely 4th.

in regards to dorsett there are plenty receivers that were drafted high(Josh doctson, Kevin White, Corey Coleman, Laquon treadwell) that aren’t even competing for a 3rd receiver role and what does that matter either way? Breshard perriman was a #3 receiver who was also picked in the first round late and did well in that role as well. Furthermore listing Dorsett contract salary is pretty erroneous considering how weak the market was for receivers this year. Take a look at what nelson agholor got who has done more than every receiver drafted in the first round other than amari Cooper since 2015. Receiver market was just weak. Only ones that got relatively paid was breshad perriman and Robbie Anderson

I appreciate your positive outlook - I'm admittedly more on the negative side.

But you're saying things about players in this thread that just aren't correct. You tend to present the best case scenario as fact. I just try to be a little more realistic.

Flowers is on his 4th team - Giants, Jags, Skins, Dolphins. Giants cut him midseason and picked up by the Jaguars where he played 8 games.

The Vikings started 2 TE's in 8 games in 2019. All Vikings TE's had 105 total targets in 2019. By comparison, Njoku had 88 targets himself in 2018. Going into the season, between OBJ, Landry, Hooper, and Hunt - Njoku is looking at the 5th most targets right now.

In terms of being a 1st Round pick, Dorsett is a bust. The other WR's you mentioned are busts too. I don't get your point here. Agholor also doesn't have more yards than DeVante Parker, and plenty of recent 1st Round WR's - DJ Moore, Mike Williams, Calvin Ridley - have been better than Agholor.

Brock....I went through this exact same exercise with you this time a year ago. You said the Pats valued Dorsett and he was primed to be the #3 WR behind Edelman and Gordon. I told you the Pats giving Dorsett and 2 other WR's a 1 year deal wasn't a vote of confidence. I told you they were going to draft a WR early - and they did in the 1st Round. Then they signed Antonio Brown, traded for Sanu, started an undrafted WR - basically made moves all year to show they didn't have confidence in Dorsett.

Dorsett finished the year 5th on the Pats depth chart behind Edelman, Sanu, Harry, and Jakobi Meyers. Now Dorsett is on the same 1 yr contract with Seattle and you already have him thriving as the #3 WR. It's a possible scenario, but not a very realistic scenario.

Last edited:
I appreciate your positive outlook - I'm admittedly more on the negative side.

But you're saying things about players in this thread that just aren't correct. You tend to present the best case scenario as fact. I just try to be a little more realistic.

Flowers is on his 4th team - Giants, Jags, Skins, Dolphins. Giants cut him midseason and picked up by the Jaguars where he played 8 games.

The Vikings started 2 TE's in 8 games in 2019. All Vikings TE's had 105 total targets in 2019. By comparison, Njoku had 88 targets himself in 2018. Going into the season, between OBJ, Landry, Hooper, and Hunt - Njoku is looking at the 5th most targets right now.

In terms of being a 1st Round pick, Dorsett is a bust. The other WR's you mentioned are busts too. I don't get your point here. Agholor also doesn't have more yards than DeVante Parker, and plenty of recent 1st Round WR's - DJ Moore, Mike Williams, Calvin Ridley - have been better than Agholor.

Brock....I went through this exact same exercise with you this time a year ago. You said the Pats valued Dorsett and he was primed to be the #3 WR behind Edelman and Gordon. I told you the Pats giving Dorsett and 2 other WR's a 1 year deal wasn't a vote of confidence. I told you they were going to draft a WR early - and they did in the 1st Round. Then they signed Antonio Brown, traded for Sanu, started an undrafted WR - basically made moves all year to show they didn't have confidence in Dorsett.

Dorsett finished the year 5th on the Pats depth chart behind Edelman, Sanu, Harry, and Jakobi Meyers. Now Dorsett is on the same 1 yr contract with Seattle and you already have him thriving as the #3 WR. It's a possible scenario, but not a very realistic scenario.
Completely forgot about flowers stint with the jags. You Definitely right on that.

I acknowledged Dorsett time was cut short with additions to the team what else there needs to be said? Either way tom Brady and belicheck praised him multiple times when he was heavily utilized in the first part of the season. Additionally Devante Parker the only receiver you listed who has more yards than agholor so far. Those other receivers are off to pretty good starts but don’t have anymore yards or tds Right now.

Like I said Stefanski loves using 2 tight end sets. He never has had tes like he will have this year. In fact njoku had a season in his 2nd year 670 yards which was better than all but one of the seasons Kyle Rudolph has had in with the Vikings in his 9 or 10 year career. They do got plenty of weapons so we will see what happens ultimately

Last edited:
I rather not see graphics like this.
These are all, but a couple, of Golden’s players. This further intensifies the argument that we are by far the most underachieving team in CFB.
Of course they were mostly Golden’s players. The guys graduating this year are Richt’s first class. We change coaches so often I think we forget that Golden wasn’t that long ago. I think 2020 will be the fist year with none of the players he recruited on the roster.

Advertisement
Completely forgot about flowers stint with the jags. You Definitely right on that.

I acknowledged Dorsett time was cut short with additions to the team what else there needs to be said? Either way tom Brady and belicheck praised him multiple times when he was heavily utilized in the first part of the season. Additionally Devante Parker the only receiver you listed who has more yards than agholor so far. Those other receivers are off to pretty good starts but don’t have anymore yards or tds Right now.

Like I said Stefanski loves using 2 tight end sets. He never has had tes like he will have this year. In fact njoku had a season in his 2nd year 670 yards which was better than all but one of the seasons Kyle Rudolph has had in with the Vikings in his 9 or 10 year career. They do got plenty of weapons so we will see what happens ultimately

The point I think you're missing is - the FA WR market was weak this year because guys like Dorsett & Agholor aren't very good. They're the ones making it weak. They didn't get the same 1 yr veteran minimum contracts because there wasn't a market for WR's - it's because there wasn't a market for them.

Dorsett
It's like saying Shannon & Goldens time at Miami was "cut short" by changes made to the coaching staff, but the AD & Players had good things to say about them. That's true, but it misses the point & doesn't really make sense. Shannon & Golden under-performed, so new coaches were brought in.

Similarly, Dorsett under-performed with the Pats, so new WR's were brought in, and now he's no longer with the Pats. If Bellichick really did like Dorsett, he would've given him more than a 1 year deal last year, and he would've re-signed him this year.

Simple question Brock - do you think Dorsett has played like a 1st Round pick?

Agholor
No idea why we're discussing him - but it's like I'm saying Mahomes & Deshaun Watson are better than Marcus Mariotta. Then you point out out Mahomes & Watson are off to good starts, but they don't have more passing Yds or TD's than Mariotta. Well...yes...but only because Mariotta has been in the league longer.

Similarly, Agholor only has more Yds and TD's than Ridley & Moore because he's been in the league longer. My point is Agholor isn't as good as those guys. What's the point you're trying to make here?

Njoku
Yes, the Vikings were 1st in running 2 TE sets. But they were 18th in TE targets. Translation: Njoku better work on his run blocking.

The TE's will be better in Cleveland. So will the RB's and WR's. Unless there's injuries - targets will be hard to come by for Njoku.

I think Njoku will have a good long career in the NFL. I just don't think it'll be with Cleveland. Signing Hooper to that much money was a bad sign. If Cleveland drafts a TE, it's another bad sign. If they don't pick up his 5th year option next month, it's another bad sign. We'll have a better idea a month from now if Njoku is in Cleveland's long term plans or not.

Last edited:
We certainly haven’t recruited at a top 5 level annually in recruiting so that tells me either these classes Miami has been getting have been underrated in regards to recruiting ranking or there is indeed development going on. Miami has for the last 5 years recruited at a top 15-20 level on average but is top 5 in producing draft picks. Not saying it’s the best but something is happening obviously. I see A bunch of teams who recruit at a higher level than Miami yet have less players drafted or whatever in the last 5 years. People throw around Miami not having many premium(first round picks)draft picks too and while that’s true it also looks funny in light when you actually look at the numbers from other teams outside bama, Clemson, Ohio state in the last 5 years etc

like I always say, recruit at a higher level and then you get more premium draft picks but Miami is developing the talent they have been getting, Probably better than expected in majority of the cases but not all obviously

This is a legit surprising list, and surprising for us to be where we are. A lot of wasted talent, but we always knew we had 'PLAYERS'. That never stopped.

Also, scouts do spend a lot of time looking at Miami, even in our down years.

View attachment 114887
steeter and Washington never started in the leagues. The rest did in that draft class and did pretty well. 2 pro bowlers out of that class.

View attachment 114888
All starters. Linder 50 million dollar contract.
Henderson has started in 29 of his 39 games he’s played in the nfl. His career just has been derailed in recent seasons due to Crohn’s disease but he was off to a good start starting his first 26 games to start his career. Allen hurns ended up as an undrafted guy and signed a 40 million dollar contract so another starter level player.

View attachment 114889

this whole group outside chickillo (who played as a reserve) has played starter level minutes for the majority of their career. Even chickillo had 8 sacks in the last 4 years as a reserve
View attachment 114890
2017 rayshawn Jenkins is a high level starter for the chargers
Njoku starter

alquadin muhammad has started a number of games in recent years and regularly plays and get sacks and pressures.

Adrian Colbert has started in more than half of the games he’s played in the last 3 years.

Williams , kaaya, coley didn’t do anything in the league.Elder at best is a depth piece but so what, every school has those.

burns starter for his first few seasons

bush started some games ,primary backup.

View attachment 114891
Norton obviously had the unfortunate loss of an arm.

mcintosh in a limited role had 2 sacks In 2019 , they have invested a lot at dt with dexter Lawrence, hill from ncstate, Dalvin Tomlinson. From bama and even Leonard Williams now so it’s not really a path for him to start

Chris herndon- hurt majority of last year but the jets are sky high on him.Had great production as a rookie

chad Thomas-finished the season as a starter and was productive. He’s coming along well.

Braxton berrios- had the best punt return average in the league and played some as a spot receiver for the jets.

View attachment 114892

Cowboys high on Joe Jackson. He may not have started last season but they chose him over a 2017 first round edge rusher in taco charlton so that says something.

mile Jackson didn’t do much of anything, got picked up by the lions active roster after the cowboys waived him during the season.

redwine emerged as a starter late last season and flashed a lot

jaquan Johnson, depth player

Travis homer ended up starting their last 2 games or so for the Seahawks.

I say all that to say this, Every player you put out is not going to be a starting level player but that doesn’t mean Miami is putting out “very few starting level players” as my breakdown in the last 7-8 draft classes indicated otherwise. Majority of them start/started games and weren’t just backups

There's 2 types of NFL starters

1) Guys that start based on their talent level
2) Guys that start because of circumstances - starters ahead of them get injured, they're on a bad team, they get a shot to start for a while but team realizes they need to upgrade, etc.

Miami has been producing much more #2 type starters than #1 recently

Example - You're a Bucs fan, right Brock?

Peyton Barber has started 23 of 32 games at RB for the Bucs the last 2 years. Do you consider Peyton Barber a starting NFL RB talent?

Just keep that in mind when I give a little more context to some of these guys where calling them a starter is a bit of a stretch

Starters, sort of...

Sean Spence
- Regular starter only 1 of his 6 seasons. 9 games was his most starts in a year. Definitely a starter talent wise, just had injuries.
Travis Benjamin - Regular starter 2 of 8 seasons, but was a really good #3 WR for 3 or 4 years
Seantrel Henderson - Started first 2 yrs. Only 3 starts last 4 yrs. Chron's Disease hurt, but 4 & 10 game substance abuse suspensions hurt more.
Duke Johnson - 12 starts in 5 years. Not really a starter, but one of the best #2 RB's in the league
Jon Feliciano - 8 starts first 4 years. Now a regular starter for the Bills. Not a starter the majority of his career like you said
Rashawn Jenkins - 16 starts last year because of injury. 1 start first 2 yrs. Played well but didn't grade out great. Good chance to start in 2020
Adrian Colbert - 17 starts in 3 years. Solid contributor with a chance to start for the Dolphins, but it's not a given.
Artie Burns - Started first 2 and a half years, but a 1st Round disappointment. Only really played in 1 game last year and a half. Still has a chance
Chris Herndon - 12 starts rookie year. Jets just gave last years starting TE Ryan Griffin 3 yr/$11 mil. Good chance at starting but not a given
Chad Thomas - 8 starts last year because of Garrett suspension & Vernon injury. Good chance to start at some point but not a given

Not really Starters

Phillip Dorsett
- 15 starts in 5 years. Not a starter the majority of his career like you said. Solid contributor, but 1st Round disappointment
Clive Walford - 14 starts in 5 years. Not a starter the majority of his career like you said, but a solid contributor
AQM - 8 starts in 3 years. Solid contributor
Deon Bush - Started 6 games because of injuries his rookie year. Hasn't played much last 3 years. Depth guy.
Travis Homer - Started 2 games because 1st & 2nd string RB's got hurt. Could become a #2 RB, but more a special teams guy
Joe Jackson - Cowboys are thirsty for an edge. Just signed Aldon Smith & reinstating Randy Gregory. Jackson has a shot, but an uphill battle

Last edited:
Advertisement
Looks like the talent has been there!! Maybe not 1st rounders but NFL level player's, SMH. MIAMI is 40-25 ( last 5 years) this is horrible, not sure what's the problem is in Coral Gables... Our CANES just can't WIN!
Subpar coaching, lack of innovation with X's & O's on offense.

Subpar coaching, lack of innovation with X's & O's on offense.
It really is that simple. We have been trying to run predictable and basic systems on offense that require great offensive linemen to be effective instead of running an offensive system that plays to our strengths (speed at skill positions). It’s funny because under Golden, every single Miami fan could tell you that his defense was a terrible choice for Miami athletes and the numbers backed it up. Yet our head coaches kept hiring pro style coordinators to run the offense when it’s obviously a terrible fit and many fans want to keep going that route. We have been plagued by terrible hires at coordinator positions for a long time. Just go back and look how many former coaches have earned promotions after Miami and how many are still toiling as low level assistants or completely unemployed at the college level.

Move
There's 2 types of NFL starters

1) Guys that start based on their talent level
2) Guys that start because of circumstances - starters ahead of them get injured, they're on a bad team, they get a shot to start for a while but team realizes they need to upgrade, etc.

Miami has been producing much more #2 type starters than #1 recently

Example - You're a Bucs fan, right Brock?

Peyton Barber has started 23 of 32 games at RB for the Bucs the last 2 years. Do you consider Peyton Barber a starting NFL RB talent?

Just keep that in mind when I give a little more context to some of these guys where calling them a starter is a bit of a stretch

Starters, sort of...

Sean Spence
- Regular starter only 1 of his 6 seasons. 9 games was his most starts in a year. Definitely a starter talent wise, just had injuries.
Travis Benjamin - Regular starter 2 of 8 seasons, but was a really good #3 WR for 3 or 4 years
Seantrel Henderson - Started first 2 yrs. Only 3 starts last 4 yrs. Chron's Disease hurt, but 4 & 10 game substance abuse suspensions hurt more.
Duke Johnson - 12 starts in 5 years. Not really a starter, but one of the best #2 RB's in the league
Jon Feliciano - 8 starts first 4 years. Now a regular starter for the Bills. Not a starter the majority of his career like you said
Rashawn Jenkins - 16 starts last year because of injury. 1 start first 2 yrs. Played well but didn't grade out great. Good chance to start in 2020
Adrian Colbert - 17 starts in 3 years. Solid contributor with a chance to start for the Dolphins, but it's not a given.
Artie Burns - Started first 2 and a half years, but a 1st Round disappointment. Only really played in 1 game last year and a half. Still has a chance
Chris Herndon - 12 starts rookie year. Jets just gave last years starting TE Ryan Griffin 3 yr/$11 mil. Good chance at starting but not a given
Chad Thomas - 8 starts last year because of Garrett suspension & Vernon injury. Good chance to start at some point but not a given

Not really Starters

Phillip Dorsett
- 15 starts in 5 years. Not a starter the majority of his career like you said. Solid contributor, but 1st Round disappointment
Clive Walford - 14 starts in 5 years. Not a starter the majority of his career like you said, but a solid contributor
AQM - 8 starts in 3 years. Solid contributor
Deon Bush - Started 6 games because of injuries his rookie year. Hasn't played much last 3 years. Depth guy.
Travis Homer - Started 2 games because 1st & 2nd string RB's got hurt. Could become a #2 RB, but more a special teams guy
Joe Jackson - Cowboys are thirsty for an edge. Just signed Aldon Smith & reinstating Randy Gregory. Jackson has a shot, but an uphill battle
chris herndon comment makes this completely invalid. Of course he only started 12 games as a rookie as he was suspended 4 games due to the car accident dui incident. Like I said They are sky high on him. Lol if you think it’s not a given he starts

rayshawn Jenkins absolutely graded out well what are you talking about there? Plus Jenkins didn’t start in place of Derwin James either he’s at the other safety spot. His head coach Anthony Lynn keeps saying he can be an elite safety. Jenkins played at a very high level

Lol at you trying to spin this. Did you start a number of games at any point of your career or not?That’s still an accomplishment, and a lot of players start because of circumstances, it’s like that with most professional leagues and sports in general. If miami wasnt producing starter level players these guys wouldn’t start at ANY point in their career, you would have had more of a valid point if you said not producing pro bowl talent as that’s true and no argument from me on that.

Last edited:
It really is that simple. We have been trying to run predictable and basic systems on offense that require great offensive linemen to be effective instead of running an offensive system that plays to our strengths (speed at skill positions). It’s funny because under Golden, every single Miami fan could tell you that his defense was a terrible choice for Miami athletes and the numbers backed it up. Yet our head coaches kept hiring pro style coordinators to run the offense when it’s obviously a terrible fit and many fans want to keep going that route. We have been plagued by terrible hires at coordinator positions for a long time. Just go back and look how many former coaches have earned promotions after Miami and how many are still toiling as low level assistants or completely unemployed at the college level.
Couldn't agree more

Advertisement
Back