Colbie Young Portal

UGA is weird with WR's... so not surprised to see Young having a good spring. He's talented and produced here with average QB play. If he's bought it and developing, he's got the tools. Aside from Ladd, UGA hasn't really produced any stud WRs (Mitchell and Burton left).

Advertisement
He is the Buccs WR coach now.

Whoops
Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Advertisement
UGA is super weird with receivers and the system they run....

They rarely seem to have that STUD WR and Bowers was their leading WR the last 3 years and never eclipsed 1,000 yards. Pickens barely had 500 yards for them his final year.

However we all know what is going to happen and it will be similar to Cager. Young will make a few splash plays in a bigger game and the board will go nuts. Yet it will be like Cager where he does not really exceed his production here, Cager had like 460 yds at UGA and was the same player, I somewhat see the same for Young.

It's weird because we basically lost Young due to not meeting NIL demands. He is obviously good, or UGA wouldn't have taken him.

It's also weird because you hear @DMoney say we will probably add a bigger outside WR from the portal similar to a Colbie Young. WELL why didn't we keep him in the first place? I mean he is proven, and he could have thrived more with a ball placement QB like Cam Ward. I just don't understand. I mean we are told we have one of the best NIL collectives, and we let a 6'5 WR who can highpoint the ball and win contested catches walk.

Advertisement
UGA is weird with WR's... so not surprised to see Young having a good spring. He's talented and produced here with average QB play. If he's bought it and developing, he's got the tools. Aside from Ladd, UGA hasn't really produced any stud WRs (Mitchell and Burton left)

Should be a more WR friendly offense this year without the focus on Bowers.

heard that before they Dont produce wrs.

The guys that get drafted from their wouldve gotten drafted from FIU (pICKENS)

MITCHELL AND BURTON hightailed it out of there...its worse with Burton because he is ACTUALLY from Atlanta.

UGA is weird with WR's... so not surprised to see Young having a good spring. He's talented and produced here with average QB play. If he's bought it and developing, he's got the tools. Aside from Ladd, UGA hasn't really produced any stud WRs (Mitchell and Burton left).
Every heard of George Pickens and Mecole Hardman lol

It's weird because we basically lost Young due to not meeting NIL demands. He is obviously good, or UGA wouldn't have taken him.

It's also weird because you hear @DMoney say we will probably add a bigger outside WR from the portal similar to a Colbie Young. WELL why didn't we keep him in the first place? I mean he is proven, and he could have thrived more with a ball placement QB like Cam Ward. I just don't understand. I mean we are told we have one of the best NIL collectives, and we let a 6'5 WR who can highpoint the ball and win contested catches walk.
They feel Horton is a cheaper option that can do the same and provide the same production. Young's ask wasn't crazy either, they were just budget conscious. I think Kelly fell in that bucket too. How much do you actually pay your 3rd-4th guy and what is the benefit over just going to a younger/cheaper option? How big is the drop off and where else can the money be allocated?

I think they got this one right. I'm not going to trash Colbie and he's a good player but ultimately he didn't work hard enough for Mario's liking. The talent level was close enough that they wanted to give guys like Horton, Ray Ray, and the freshmen coming in a chance to take that job because they seemed to care more and devoted more time to their craft, film, and the team.

Advertisement
They feel Horton is a cheaper option that can do the same and provide the same production. Young's ask wasn't crazy either, they were just budget conscious. I think Kelly fell in that bucket too. How much do you actually pay your 3rd-4th guy and what is the benefit over just going to a younger/cheaper option? How big is the drop off and where else can the money be allocated?

I think they got this one right. I'm not going to trash Colbie and he's a good player but ultimately he didn't work hard enough for Mario's liking. The talent level was close enough that they wanted to give guys like Horton, Ray Ray, and the freshmen coming in a chance to take that job because they seemed to care more and devoted more time to their craft, film, and the team.
My only problem with this is…do you trust George to be your consistent #2?

Some reports from camp have Horton looking better than George, but I’m not so sure that directly translates to Horton improving that dramatically…guess we’ll see on Saturday how the WR room looks past Restrepo.

Some games George plays like a 1, sometimes he plays like he should be on the bench.

That’s why I want to grab someone from the portal, so that we can at least rely on two guys night in and out, with George being a dang good 2/3 option and Horton right there in the mix. Now you’ve got quality in that room instead of question marks and youth.

I still remember Horton looking lost out there in plenty of games. Maybe the light finally came on and it was a playbook thing, but I’m not one to leave it to chance.

I’d selfishly love to add a Keon Coleman type from the portal, but I understand these things cost money and we’re going to end up spending big on Ward, the RB, and potentially a DT. Something has to see a budget cut…but I don’t think it’s crazy to think we can add a big-body guy that can put up a conservative 500-600+ yards…especially when you want your QB to have as many weapons as possible.

Last edited:
My only problem with this is…do you trust George to be your consistent #2?

Some reports from camp have Horton looking better than George, but I’m not so sure that directly translates to Horton improving that dramatically…guess we’ll see on Saturday how the WR room looks past Restrepo.

Some games George plays like a 1, sometimes he plays like he should be on the bench.

That’s why I want to grab someone from the portal, so that we can at least rely on two guys night in and out, with George being a dang good 2/3 option and Horton right there in the mix. Now you’ve got quality in that room instead of question marks and youth.

I still remember Horton looking lost out there in plenty of games. Maybe the light finally came on and it was a playbook thing, but I’m not one to leave it to chance.

I’d selfishly love to add a Keon Coleman type from the portal, but I understand these things cost money and we’re going to end up spending big on Ward, the RB, and potentially a DT. Something has to see a budget cut…but I don’t think it’s crazy to think we can add a big-body guy that can put up a conservative 500-600+ yards…especially when you want your QB to have as many weapons as possible.
Who needs a Keon Coleman type or Jacolby George when you have Elija Lofton? His emergence is like adding a WR1 from the portal. Not to mention an elite RB that's primed for 45 carries a game.

We can never lose the desire to run the football.

On a serious note... I think we should just roll with what we have at WR. Horton can handle it and if he can't.. use games 2-3-4 to get Carr and Trader some experience and ready to go for ACC play.

Advertisement
You guys like Horton that much? He looks well put together and has potential. But other than that A&M grab, I was unimpressed by this presence last season. Did he make that big of a leap this offseason?

Question: What do people think of Chance Robinson? Can he have an early impact as Horton's backup? I know he's not nearly as tall as Young or Horton. But he seems built like a Mack truck. I'm wondering if he fits in the Bain, Lofton mold of undersized but too fast/thick/strong/quick to contain?

heard that before they Dont produce wrs.

The guys that get drafted from their wouldve gotten drafted from FIU (pICKENS)

MITCHELL AND BURTON hightailed it out of there...its worse with Burton because he is ACTUALLY from Atlanta.

Yeah true. The year Bennett threw for over 4K, 3 of the top 4 receiving yards leaders were Bowers and Washinton (TE) and McIntosh (RB) with Ladd the only one that was a WR in the top 4.

Who needs a Keon Coleman type or Jacolby George when you have Elija Lofton? His emergence is like adding a WR1 from the portal. Not to mention an elite RB that's primed for 45 carries a game.

We can never lose the desire to run the football.

On a serious note... I think we should just roll with what we have at WR. Horton can handle it and if he can't.. use games 2-3-4 to get Carr and Trader some experience and ready to go for ACC play.

HB pass out the backfield > WR Tunnel Screen

UGA is super weird with receivers and the system they run....

They rarely seem to have that STUD WR and Bowers was their leading WR the last 3 years and never eclipsed 1,000 yards. Pickens barely had 500 yards for them his final year.

However we all know what is going to happen and it will be similar to Cager. Young will make a few splash plays in a bigger game and the board will go nuts. Yet it will be like Cager where he does not really exceed his production here, Cager had like 460 yds at UGA and was the same player, I somewhat see the same for Young.
Yea guys don't go there to put up huge numbers so it doesn't make a lot of sense to go there unless it's for $$ which I guess it is. Well that and the are perennial national championship contenders.

Advertisement
Back