Colbie Young Portal

Georgia saw a player that could have a role on their team. They valued him more than we did.

We'll see if they were right.

Young is a pretty good player. Still developing...he's not getting a ton of separation, so to get the ball in his hands, where he can make plays, we have to give it to him on tunnel screens and short stuff and he's not seasoned enough to turn that lack of separation into possible PI calls yet, that would give him a little extra room from defenders to be a deep threat.

At worst, Colbie Young will do the same thing with Georgia as he did with us. Will make some plays and make some big catches, but inconsistent performance because of his lack of ability to really beat his man 1v1. But at best, Georgia can put the finishing touches on a 6'4" 220lb WR that has made big plays and big catches in the Power 5 for their offense with one of the best QBs in the nation. Would think Georgia is very happy about this one. We had a good player.
he beat his man 1v1 more than people think. At the beginning of the season you saw it more because teams were not sitting in zone coverage knowing our QB could not read defenses. Once they figured that out, dude was still running open and TVD couldn’t find him with a telescope. Young had almost the same production last year in way less games. He was the only WR we had worth a **** last year. He was getting doubled and still mossed people and making acrobatic 1 handed grabs over them. And he didn’t even start playing until week 6 last year 🤦🏾‍♂️. And this year he has one of the highest break tackle rates after the catch, one of the highest percentage of receptions on Contested catches, and finally one of the highest TD to receptions percentage in the nation. So yeah, when given the opportunity he has proven that he can be a great player.
Correct. Clemson played man with single high safety all game and Young still couldn’t get open. Neither could the other WR. Yes Miami wasn’t throwing much with Emory but Miamis WR can’t win 1 v 1. From my seats I could see the whole play developing. He wins jump balls but that’s doesn’t work all the time. Got to be able to run routes.

Miami needs some portal help at WR.
Lol getting open doesn’t just happen if you’re told to run the same trash route over and over. No matter who you are, if the corner knows you’re only running a few routes it ain’t gonna matter. Our route combinations were atrocious and they dared us to throw and we barely did. We didn’t run a single slant to him that game.. not a SINGLE ONE! No comebacks or ins/outs, nothing. Worse route combinations I have ever seen in any game. When they ran a slant, it was to X who is small and slow. Good route combos is how guys get open.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Trying to figure out the Colbie hate. Georgia is not offering a slouch. He was a good and is a good player. Swear it feels like UM fans love everyone except for those who actually don the logo sometimes.

I'm seeing a lot showing Colbie love. In this thread I've seen more say that he wasn't used correctly

Georgia taking our #3 receiver for a ridiculous NIL request. He will catch less balls this fall.

Its surprising to me that our WR's room is better then Georgia. They really need or number 3 guy and we have guys ready to take his spot. In Georgia they needed our guy and the Vanderbilt WR to be there starters asap

Advertisement
How hard was it to tamper. Just put the game tape in and watch. Our justifications are worthless because is of right now UGA has a QB. Miami doesn't. I'm not defending it, but simple common sense is plausible in this scenario. That's just my hunch based on nothing but what I've read.

Colbie was WR1 here. X was just TVD roommate and that’s why his numbers are up this year.
this is the dumbest narrative on CIS right now ^

rewatch the games, X balled out. consistently made tough catches, got open, got first downs when they were needed etc.

we have a first team all ACC WR with 1000 yards and you guys down play it every day. idk if it's stupidity or just hatred for TVD bleeding over... or something else

Advertisement
I wish kid the best, I liked him quite a bit and felt we severely underutilized him esp in red zone!!!!
THIS!! His targets and route tree was significantly limited the second half of the season. Why are we throwing tunnel screens to our tallest receiver? It is what it is.

Colbie was WR1 here. X was just TVD roommate and that’s why his numbers are up this year.
We had 3 wr’s capable of playing like a WR1 the first half of the season. 2 out of 3 continued getting those after the losing streak from what I observed.

Advertisement

rewatch the games, X balled out. consistently made tough catches, got open, got first downs when they were needed etc.

we have a first team all ACC WR with 1000 yards and you guys down play it every day. idk if it's stupidity or just hatred for TVD bleeding over... or something else
It’s something else

He gets the Berrios treatment until his last season

You guys are crazy. Should he have been targeted on some fade routes? Sure. But “underutilized” is totally different

He’s not that great of a WR. He didn’t win one on one matchups consistently despite his size.

He can improve but to say he’s gonna “ball” at a place like UGA is crazy. He’s not gonna ball against SEC defenses every week
Disagree
He plays in the sec east.
He should have at least 8tds this year here he was underutilized for his skill set imo

Advertisement
Back