Colbie Young Portal

I'll say it again for the umpteenth time. The invisible hand ain't nevah lied.

If Colbie Young gets offered $500K or more from either Penn State or UGA then this falls on UM's staff for not understanding his market value. As @KingB02 has pointed out, Young was both mis-used and under-used here this past season.

I can see a scenario where UM refusing to pay Colbie Young's asking price could turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to him. He could end up being Lawrence Cager 2.0.
NiL budget isnt endless, if they can get a similar talent and only pay $200k to the WR, and use the other $300k to get the Center and Another portal guy, thats the move imo.

Advertisement
I’m amazed how emotional this board and fans are over losing Young to the portal.

Time to grow some nuts and realize this is the new college football and WR is the least of worries when it comes to finding talent. WR is a position you can play freshmen and also hit the portal every year. I’m shocked how much ppl care about young leaving for a better opportunity in his mind

NiL budget isnt endless, if they can get a similar talent and only pay $200k to the WR, and use the other $300k to get the Center and Another portal guy, thats the move imo.
Correct just like what nfl teams do.

Your pay or the asking price has to match production.

Last edited:
I dont wanna hear anything about drops when7 had that fsu game.. Its like some players get passes and others get ****ted on.. call it the same, they all had some drop..
Who is saying we should pay X $500K ... or $375K?
Idk what X is getting paid. But If Colbie wants $500k and was offered $375k, X is irrelevant in that discussion. I agree X was bad against FSU. But he was pretty solid and did what he was asked every single other game. But he and Colbie are entirely different WRs. I think as a player X doesn't deserve any more than even like $250k. I think he's a good locker room presence though as well, which is worth something.

Look we found and developed Colbie. Its not like this staff WANTED Colbie to be WR3 lol. Thats what HE produced. Colbie didn't live up to his potential this year. But his potential is still high. I'd like to keep him. But it's also easily imaginable for us to get someone else at $375k that will outperform him, or if he wants $500k so bad we can spend that amount on someone else who is even more proven and has as high potential.

Plus even if Colbie transfers, it doesn't mean he WAS given the $500k offer he wanted. **** it's possible he ends up getting less, and that we have moved on, and don't want to be held hostage by guys and are sending a message - that we are giving fair deals that you can trust. But if you test the portal our offers are final and the offer tomorrow isn't the same as yesterdays offer.

Lol he averaged 3 targets per game last 7 games. He got the ball when it was called for him to get it, problem is it wasn’t called for him to get it enough. He was ballin at the beginning of the season no doubt because he was getting targets, period! His TD to catches ratio is top notch! He dropped some, but they were contested (some were PI no calls). He ended up with almost as many drops as X. But X’s drops were often uncontested. His catches while contested were tops in the nation. Do you really believe a 5’9 wr with 4.7 speed who cannot make guys miss or run them over after should have more targets than a 6’5 wr who is faster than him. BTW Young’s broken tackles percentage after catch was tops in the nation too. The first guy NEVER took him down! As I said, he was open A LOT and TVD was staring at X. Should have been targeted in the red zone more.
How did he average 3 targets per game in the last 7 when he caught 26 passes during that stretch (almost 4 per game). I know he didnt catch all his targets...so I assume he had on average 6 to 7 targets per game.

Advertisement
How did he average 3 targets per game in the last 7 when he caught 26 passes during that stretch (almost 4 per game). I know he didnt catch all his targets...so I assume he had on average 6 to 7 targets per game.
That’s still 3 per game sir. I didn’t pull up the stats to know, I was going off memory. He didn’t catch all his targets (no one does) but he caught a high percentage of them. He didn’t get 7 targets per game, at all. How many catches did X have in that same span? How many touchdowns did X have with those targets in that span compared to Young, since you wanna play stat man!

There isn't a single WR on this roster who is irreplaceable.

Idk how (actually I do), but for some odd reason you guys seem to never understand that WR production in College is mostly SYSTEM oriented.

There's a reason why these exact same WR's looked completely different under Gattless than they did under Dawson. It was the same thing with Enox & Lashlee. Yall swear the Offense has no barring on how the WR's & skill players play in general, when it's literally the crux of their productivity or lack thereof.

There's at least 7 or 8 WR's in the Portal right now who are easy seamless transition fits for this Offense. Colbie Young is a good WR, he's betting on himself & wants to try to see what he can do elsewhere, good luck to'em, but he's not a game changing player that will affect us in the net negative.

Also, it's hilarious to see the same fanbase who constantly says its all about the ternches make an ordeal over losing a WR lol

That’s still 3 per game sir. I didn’t pull up the stats to know, I was going off memory. He didn’t catch all his targets (no one does) but he caught a high percentage of them. He didn’t get 7 targets per game, at all. How many catches did X have in that same span? How many touchdowns did X have with those targets in that span compared to Young, since you wanna play stat man!
math GIF

Advertisement

Again the marketplace will tell the tale. If Colbie Young can command $500K and UM finds an equal replacement for $200K, I would look for that replacement receiver to portal out next season. (assumes CY gets a $500K deal)

Idk how (actually I do), but for some odd reason you guys seem to never understand that WR production in College is mostly SYSTEM oriented.

There's a reason why these exact same WR's looked completely different under Gattless than they did under Dawson. It was the same thing with Enox & Lashlee. Yall swear the Offense has no barring on how the WR's & skill players play in general, when it's literally the crux of their productivity or lack thereof.

There's at least 7 or 8 WR's in the Portal right now who are easy seamless transition fits for this Offense. Colbie Young is a good WR, he's betting on himself & wants to try to see what he can do elsewhere, good luck to'em, but he's not a game changing player that will affect us in the net negative.

Also, it's hilarious to see the same fanbase who constantly says its all about the ternches make an ordeal over losing a WR lol
I’m an X Stan and love what he brings but this is 100% facts

X had 38 catches (over 600 yds) and 3 TDs over the same 7 games

George had 32 catches (over 500 yds) and 4 TDs over the final 7 games

Young had 26 catches (275 yds) and 2 TDs

I know you think Young is worth 500k a year, but what would you then pay George and X to stay?

I ain’t saying he’s megatron. But he’s the closest thing we have had here. Name me one guy who was making those type of catches here, other than Dre.
Bruh this ain’t a video game who tf cares about who has had the craziest catches that **** dont mean nothing romello brinson had one of the greatest catches here does that mean he some type of great player? X has some crazy catches does that mean he’s one of our greats? NO

Appreciate what they do without downplaying our history ..Or maybe u just dont know any better lol and thats cool

Advertisement
X had 38 catches (over 600 yds) and 3 TDs over the same 7 games

George had 32 catches (over 500 yds) and 4 TDs over the final 7 games

Young had 26 catches (275 yds) and 2 TDs

I know you think Young is worth 500k a year, but what would you then pay George and X to stay?
These guys with the excuses for Young are hilarious. He’s really a superstar but our coaches and players were purposely holding him back. The guy had more screen passes specifically called for him than any WR3 should have gotten.

This a million times!

I tried to tell people before the season that this group was going to produce because of the system. Even without a real WR1 caliber player, this trio combined for more catches and yards than any other trio of receivers in UM history. If a receiver can’t produce in this system, he’s probably not even an FBS caliber player. We could literally replace Young with Horton and with decent QB play he’d easily replicate the production.

Advertisement
Bruh this ain’t a video game who tf cares about who has had the craziest catches that **** dont mean nothing romello brinson had one of the greatest catches here does that mean he some type of great player? X has some crazy catches does that mean he’s one of our greats? NO

Appreciate what they do without downplaying our history ..Or maybe u just dont know any better lol and thats cool
Again, for the 1000th time.. it has nothing to do with our history or being great.. I explained that in detail. I didn’t downplay our history at all. It’s just that we’ve never had a guy who was a matchup nightmare like this before, we always bulked them up and put them at TE.

Again, for the 1000th time.. it has nothing to do with our history or being great.. I explained that in detail. I didn’t downplay our history at all. It’s just that we’ve never had a guy who was a matchup nightmare like this before, we always bulked them up and put them at TE.
Lol u don’t understand how crazy of a statement this is but its ok

Advertisement
Back