Colbie Young is not hurt

Advertisement
Advertisement
Colbie had not played because he was a terrible route runner. You look at his JUCO tape; he just streaked down the field snd Mossed everyone.
He is very talented and is learning. If he keeps working at his craft he is going to be a major problem for defenders. He is the true definition of a "diamond in the rough"

Colbie had not played because he was a terrible route runner. You look at his JUCO tape; he just streaked down the field snd Mossed everyone.
He is very talented and is learning. If he keeps working at his craft he is going to be a major problem for defenders. He is the true definition of a "diamond in the rough"
This is the problem with pro style bro.. You have to be technician even if you already do something well.. Hey this guy can go up and get ball put points on the board.. yea but he cant run a route and site adjust to the safety with enough depth herp derp.. Put him on field and he does exactly what he does on film lol..

At tenn he probably would already be a star.. here we still asking question because he has to go to route school first

Advertisement
This is about a raw player getting better and stepping up when he had an opportunity. These were plays he wasn’t making in camp.

Now that he’s shown he can make plays with the lights on, he will continue to get looks.

Was it drops in camp? What was his issue?

This is about a raw player getting better and stepping up when he had an opportunity. These were plays he wasn’t making in camp.

Now that he’s shown he can make plays with the lights on, he will continue to get looks.
Could’ve given us the same spark langham gave us vs GT in 2017 if he’d just gotten more snaps 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
But this goes to LuCanes post about we should be at the point right now where we are just flat out playing everyone and seeing who shows up when the lights come on. Clearly we need to see kids in live bullet action and not just a safe and meaningless practice setting where guys like Ivey, Justice and Scaife look like All ACC caliber players.

Advertisement
Overreactions aside, this kid sure made the most of his first opportunity at the D1 level. Good for him.

He played well enough to put pressure on the coaches to play him again next week. Let's see how the coaching staff handles it.
Young should play a lot. His upside is quite high. He looked significantly better than any WR we have (other than #5) & he likely has more NFL potential than any WR we have (which is important at the CFB level because it means he can impact games in our favor). We'd literally be shooting ourselves in the foot by keeping him on the bench due to antiquated notions that if he's not a Greentree AA, he shouldn't play. Those Greentree AA have been routinely dropping passes, failing to block effectively downfield & killing drives all season long. We are 2-3 as a result. Anyone that thinks that WR that run routes consistently in practice but drop the ball consistently in games should be playing over Young, don't know what they are looking at and shouldn't be coaching football.

Our #1 issue remains Red Zone scoring. The solution has been right in front of us all along. THROW THE BALL TO THE TALLEST TE & WR IN THE RED ZONE. At the beginning of the season we had, at minimum, Mallory, Arroyo, Skinner, Young, Ladson & Horton. Almost all of them are matchup problems for opponents. Let's start using them effectively and scoring points NOW instead of waiting for them to run every route perfectly on Greentree. For the rest of this year, let's also stop trying to "bro" the ball into the endzone against more talented defenses. IT IS NOT WORKING. DO THAT IN 1-2 YEARS WHEN OUR OL SHOULD BE DOMINANT -- IT SHOULD BE VERY POSSIBLE THEN. IT IS NOT NOW AND WE'RE LOSING BECAUSE WE INSIST ON TRYING TO DO THIS OVER & OVER. We all knew we didn't have the OL this year to bully people. We've had problems for the last couple of years gaining 2 yards when we absolutely needed it. It's either ego or stubbornness that's causing us to continue to try & muscle the ball in. Sure, execution issues happen that cause run plays not to work BUT this issue isn't about run play execution -- we just don't have the horses YET. The good news is they are on the way (inshallah). :)

What to do now in the Red Zone:

1) Throw to your tallest players until opponents prove they can stop it (see list above). I don't think many people can cover Skinner & Young effectively (especially on balls thrown high into the endzone).

2) Show run & then pass. Come out in run formation & sneak Khalil Brantley out in the flats. I think he could be another useful weapon for us that may catch people napping.

3) Come back to the run when: (i) everyone's expecting pass (after you've scored a bunch by passing) -- it will be much more effective; (ii) we have our best RBs back healthy (like Chaney); and (iii) Jacurri is ready to run some QB draws.

We should be decimating opponents using our taller players. We got the yardage this week (good job adjusting there) BUT NOW WE NEED TO SCORE POINTS. If I were Gattis, I'd have a whole week devoted mostly to five things:

(i) Red Zone offense -- until it's just automatic;
(ii) two minute drills;
(iii) meetings discussing ball security & situational adjustments
(i.e., if you're Rooster & you've easily crossed the line for a first down late in the game, now put both hands on the ball & make that your primary focus in this critical spot. Don't need to fight for extra yardage or make a hero play there, just wrap that ball up tight & get a fresh set of downs to work with. His mission was accomplished on that play (by quite a few yards) so make securing that ball with both hands the #1 priority now. Side note: on ball security drills on Greentree, it looks like they're just going through the motions. I know they are trying to limit contact & injury but is that drill really effective? I honestly don't see the point of half-heartedly swiping at the ball and running across the field sideways. Is it working? I think not. Time to re-think the approach to ball security. It was a killa in the UNC game.
(iv) WR blocking (taught in a way that negates the potential for injury); and
(v) run blocking.

We had almost 500 yards passing so 24 pts is nowhere near good enough. The answers are:

(i) proper Asset Utilization (using only our best weapons in the Red Zone and creating mismatch problems out there consistently); and

(ii) playcalling (stop trying to muscle it in when you simply don't have the horses yet).

Go Canes.

Advertisement
Back