Coach's take on new commit Silvera

View as article
Really need this kid too. With Moten graduating, and Norton potentially leaving, we'd have to rely on Fines to play 1tech, or slide Willis down to 1tech, which he's a little undersized for...Or maybe Tyreic Martin can play the 1tech spot too. Bethel and Ford are for sure 3techs though.

If both McIntosh and Norton declare early I think our 2019 DL would be:

SDE: DJ Johnson - Scott Patchan

3Tech: Patrick Bethel - Jon Ford - Tyreic Martin

1Tech: Gerald Willis - Tyreic Martin/Ryan Fines

WDE: Joe Jackson - Demetrius Jackson - Jon Garvin

So clearly we need as many guys that can play that 1tech spot as possible.

Willis is gone bro only reason he came back was for more game tape.

Exactly. We have to hope one of Norton or McIntosh stay or Kool needs to get a JUCO also to help bridge the gap.

Advertisement
Chatfield is undersized and slow.

Kool clearly likes 6'5" DE's that run under 4.9 (Jackson, Garvin, Johnson)

Chatfield numbers at NIKE Camp:

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

Borderline take at this point.

Al, 40 don't mean ish when ur a DL guy. In the words of T Sizzle after his 5.01 40 time at the combine, put on the tape and watch my game speed. T Sizzle will be in the NFL HOF when his career is over. Chatfield game speed is all I care about. I want him. But most feel he's all LSU.

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

Al, 40 don't mean ish when ur a DL guy. In the words of T Sizzle after his 5.01 40 time at the combine, put on the tape and watch my game speed. T Sizzle will be in the NFL HOF when his career is over. Chatfield game speed is all I care about. I want him. But most feel he's all LSU.

LOL..Ahhh...has LSU offered? You gotta be a bad ****** to get an offer from LSU on the DLine. Not saying A.C. isnt but still..

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

To be fair, the poster has a point to an extent. Idk about speed, but Kool has said in an interview that he wants all his DE's to be in the mold of DJ Johnson and JJack. Sort of the 6'4 - 6'6 range, and around 230-250

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

We gotta turn up the heat on this kid. **** them t-shirt and shorts numbers, all the kid does is DOMINATE top-flight competition. Plus I know he's much bigger than that listed size now and he's putting in the work to improve those numbers. Is he a 6'6" pterodactyl? No, but he is a long-armed 6'3" with a nonstop motor and he's all business until the last whistle. A large part of what impresses me so much about his game is his physicality at the point of attack on running downs. For someone who has less than prototypical size, that kid sets a helluva edge, destroys pulling guards and lives in the backfield. Despite what those numbers say, I know that Drew can play in space. IMO he's the best front seven defender in the state and should've been the first DE offered in this class.

Last edited:
Advertisement

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

We gotta turn up the heat on this kid. **** them t-shirt and shorts numbers, all the kid does is DOMINATE top-flight competition. Plus I know he's much bigger than that listed size now and he's putting in the work to improve those numbers. Is he a 6'6" pterodactyl? No, but he is a long-armed 6'3" with a nonstop motor and he's all business until the last whistle. A large part of what impresses me so much about his game is his physicality at the point of attack on running downs. For someone who has less than prototypical size, that kid sets a helluva edge, destroys pulling guards and lives in the backfield. Despite what those numbers say, I know that Drew can play in space. IMO he's the best fron

I see his measurables meeting more of the OLB/Rush in a 3-4. I think he won't be a take because of this.

Can anyone explain the difference between 1 and 3 tech

It's just where they are aligned on the defense. The 1 Tech is usually aligned in the weak side A gap between the C and G (inside shoulder). The 3 Tech is usually aligned in the strong side B gap between the G (outside shoulder) and OT.

Can anyone explain the difference between 1 and 3 tech

DL_Techniques_2.png

Football 101: Defensive line gap techniques - The Phinsider

Basically it refers to the alignment. every defense whether it be 34 based or 43 based has a nose tackle who either lines up inside shoulder of the guard (if 43 base D) or head-up/on the shoulder of the center (34 base D). The person who plays this position needs to be big and able to take on double teams. They essentially are the Run defending DT and serve to free up the LBs to make plays.

The 3tech DT is more of a pass rusher and they allign on the outside shoulder of the guard. Their job in an attacking 43 like we run is to disrupt the play. They have the shortest path the the QB on a pass and rb on a run. Ideally you want guys like Warren Sapp and Aaron Donald at this spot.

PFF posted a very good little breakdown of all the Defensive Line techniques and what they are asked to do. I recommend everyone read it: https://www.profootballfocus.com/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

Advertisement

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

LOL..Ahhh...has LSU offered? You gotta be a bad ****** to get an offer from LSU on the DLine. Not saying A.C. isnt but still..

Per 247
Andrew Chatfield, American Heritage, Weak-Side Defensive End

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

Per 247
Andrew Chatfield, American Heritage, Weak-Side Defensive End

[video=youtube_share;ryVmG61tQx8]https://youtu.be/ryVmG61tQx8[/video]

Game speed is on point

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

I can care less about a DL's 40

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

I can care less about a DL's 40

I'm more interested in his Tube Sock size

Advertisement

6'2" 215
5.01 40 yard dash
4.58 20 yard shuttle
30.8 vert
33.0 power throw

Some people may not like it, but there may be some truth to this. His production screams offer, but yet he doesn't have one. Seems that the only reason he doesn't have an offer is measurables.

Same for Nik Bonitto. I don't believe he has an offer either.

I think Kool tries to find long athletes that he can mold into nightmares both physically and technically.

I'd be surprised if we offered Chatfield. Kool thought our DE (Darrien Grant) was "too skinny" and he was 6'3"-6'4" 225-230 pounds at the time.

And Nesta is a stud but he's got serious character issues. He's a **** hair away from being kicked off his high school team.

Advertisement
Back