Coaching Update from 247

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Why do we need to take up a valuable coaching position with a “just a title” guy who brings nothing? Why should Baker have a spot on the staff?
Because Diaz and Baker are
best friends bff GIF by BuzzFeed Animation

I have been on the phone today gathering some updates on coaching situations and here is some information… (Here's my notes from 1/3 in case you missed them)

• There is a domino effect in play with a number of defensive coaches, particularly in the secondary, as a number of schools are looking to fill spots in the back end. Texas and LSU are the ones who are expected to start the dominoes, which are expected to affect Miami’s coaching searches.

• LSU’s Corey Raymond is the one to keep an eye on as he could be leaving for Texas.

• This could open the door for Cincinnati’s Marcus Freeman to LSU as opposed to Freeman going to Notre Dame.

• Former South Carolina defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson is a top target for Miami to coach both the safeties and the cornerbacks, which he is considering especially since the lure of returning home. A source believes this move makes the most since for Robinson, who could also return to Auburn where he coached in 2015. Texas does not seem like an option for him, but LSU could be.

• Speaking of South Carolina, Kevin Steele, previously the defensive coordinator at Auburn, could be an option for the Gamecocks, who could be landing former Florida cornerbacks coach Torrian Gray.

• There is a sense that sources do not have 100 percent confidence Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt, a former D.C. at big-time schools Alabama, Georgia, and Florida State, in the clear to remain in Knoxville, which also could change situations at other schools if he becomes available.

• Since the last update I posted on Jan. 3, I published an article from sources stating assistant recruiting coordinator DeMarcus Van Dyke was expected to leave Miami to be the cornerbacks coach at Utah State. That has remained the case and the plan has remained the same up until recently with Miami having an opening with its cornerbacks coach, which has complicated the situation—one that should be clearing up soon.

• Going back full circle with a coincidence regarding the first coach mentioned in these notes as Raymond’s first coaching job as a position coach was to be the cornerbacks coach at Utah State before going to Nebraska and LSU.

• Defensive coordinator Blake Baker’s future at Miami remains uncertain. At this time I think he could stay, but also think he could be leaving, possibly to be a linebackers coach at a power five conference school.

Chris Stock 247 Sports InsideTheU.com
Find a way to let Baker go, wherever the **** he wants

Find a way to get Partridge here as a DC & DL, T-Rob here for DBs/co-DC, let Stroud take the booth, and move DVD to recruiting coord.

If for some reason Baker stays, he gets LBs. However,I honestly think we need new blood there too, because our LBs we're horrible in coverage and WHO THE **** IS OUR LEADER ON DEFENSE!?

Any that's my little 0.02

Advertisement
Just skeptical; "the team to beat," lol..
If anything, and not saying this is the case, the coach would be the one who gains an advantage in a blow-by-blow negotiation. T-Rob is 'in-demand', correct? If true, is this posturing? Like a recruit leveraging for bigger bags.
And also, this guy's been a big-time recruiter in SEC country, dropping bag$ I presume. So is Miami really the place for him to advance his career? Hopefully we get him and I take the L here. Just smells funny.

From what I have heard about Pruitt’s time at Georgia, it would be a terrible culture fit with Manny. It’s been a few years but if I remember correctly, he pretty much tried to lead a coup against Richt and told coaches and players to not listen to Richt. I think he either came to blown or almost came to blows with some offensive coaches.

@JayCane20 or @Cribby can probably elaborate more.

that happened. According to Dawgvent, Thomas Brown was the one who went after Pruitt and he got a couple licks in before people pulled them off of Pruitt,

Advertisement
Pruitt was bullying Richt when he was at georgia,no way Diaz wants any part of that.
From what I have heard about Pruitt’s time at Georgia, it would be a terrible culture fit with Manny. It’s been a few years but if I remember correctly, he pretty much tried to lead a coup against Richt and told coaches and players to not listen to Richt. I think he either came to blown or almost came to blows with some offensive coaches.

@JayCane20 or @Cribby can probably elaborate more.
Hmm didn’t think Pruitt had it in him, but he is a disciple of Rush Probst so I can’t say I’m at all surprised.

Id be on board with something like this
Defensive Play Caller Manny Diaz
CO-DC/DB T-Rob
CO-DC/LB Blake Baker
DL Coach Kevin Patrick
CB Coach DVD

There are people on this board who think we should be winning national championships and are ****ed if we don't, and others who are OK with hiring DeMarcus Van Dyke as our CB coach. Absolutely wild.

Advertisement
Back