Coaching Update from 247

Mackmiller974

All ACC
I have been on the phone today gathering some updates on coaching situations and here is some information… (Here's my notes from 1/3 in case you missed them)

• There is a domino effect in play with a number of defensive coaches, particularly in the secondary, as a number of schools are looking to fill spots in the back end. Texas and LSU are the ones who are expected to start the dominoes, which are expected to affect Miami’s coaching searches.

• LSU’s Corey Raymond is the one to keep an eye on as he could be leaving for Texas.

• This could open the door for Cincinnati’s Marcus Freeman to LSU as opposed to Freeman going to Notre Dame.

• Former South Carolina defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson is a top target for Miami to coach both the safeties and the cornerbacks, which he is considering especially since the lure of returning home. A source believes this move makes the most since for Robinson, who could also return to Auburn where he coached in 2015. Texas does not seem like an option for him, but LSU could be.

• Speaking of South Carolina, Kevin Steele, previously the defensive coordinator at Auburn, could be an option for the Gamecocks, who could be landing former Florida cornerbacks coach Torrian Gray.

• There is a sense that sources do not have 100 percent confidence Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt, a former D.C. at big-time schools Alabama, Georgia, and Florida State, in the clear to remain in Knoxville, which also could change situations at other schools if he becomes available.

• Since the last update I posted on Jan. 3, I published an article from sources stating assistant recruiting coordinator DeMarcus Van Dyke was expected to leave Miami to be the cornerbacks coach at Utah State. That has remained the case and the plan has remained the same up until recently with Miami having an opening with its cornerbacks coach, which has complicated the situation—one that should be clearing up soon.

• Going back full circle with a coincidence regarding the first coach mentioned in these notes as Raymond’s first coaching job as a position coach was to be the cornerbacks coach at Utah State before going to Nebraska and LSU.

• Defensive coordinator Blake Baker’s future at Miami remains uncertain. At this time I think he could stay, but also think he could be leaving, possibly to be a linebackers coach at a power five conference school.

Chris Stock 247 Sports InsideTheU.com

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
So Raymond goes to Texas, TRob replaces him at LSU and we promote DVD? That would really suck. The wildcard is Pruitt gets fired and Manny thinks he's breaking the internet by hiring him as DC only to have Pruitt spend the next couple of years giving him wedgies and swirlies while publicly angling for his job.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I thought T Rob was also asking to be co-dc? If not does that mean there is a big fish DC in play? Can't see Baker remaining as DC.

Advertisement
Back