Coaching Trees

Advertisement
HaydenFryCoachingTree2.png

Not as impressive as the Manny coaching tree of Banda, Patke and Baker.

I was going to say that I thought Banda would be more successful than Diaz, but then I looked up the stats. 3 games into the season, Utah St. is 103rd in points allowed, Miami is 111th. Guess Banda is following Diaz's defensive philosophy to the letter.

Diaz not having a large coaching tree isn't that shocking. What is suprising is that despite Richt being a HC for around 2 decades, he only produced 4 HCs from his tree:

Mike Bobo
Neil Callaway
Brian VanGorder
Manny Diaz

3 flops and a Manny Diaz.

I don't know what that says about Richt other than he didn't seem to have a blueprint for success (at least not one that his assistants could follow).
I suspect you're right. Richt was from the Bobby Bowden tree, a stump when compare to others many others, especially when you consider how long and how successful Bowden was. And Diaz got his start at FSU.

I think the coaches with the deep coaching trees are influential on the schematic side as well as organizations. I never looked at Bowden as an XsOs guru.

Advertisement
Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells have the best coaching trees in my eyes
What is odd about Parcells is when you look at his pre-HC resume there aren't any standout name HCs. The HC at NYG, when Parcells was DC in 1981-82 (and Bill Belichick was LBs coach) was Ray Perkins.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Isn’t Dan Enos and the shark f@ker part of Saban’s coaching tree? How is Muschamp doing?

Interesting stuff. I've never heard of Sid Gillman.

That said, the bulk of his coaching tree comes from Bill Walsh's coaching tree. At what point does the student get credit for being the teacher? (that aughta be worth 4 - 5 pages- lol)
Gillman was one of coaches responsible for inventing the modern passing game. Coached the Rams in the mid 50s and the Chargers in the 60s (AFL).

Gillman's insistence on stretching the football field by throwing deep downfield passes, instead of short passes to running backs or wide receivers at the sides of the line of scrimmage, was instrumental in making football into the modern game that it is today.

Advertisement

Personally, I wouldnt consider that Sabans coaching tree. Its a bunch of guys who were hired, mostly as failed hwad coaches or coordinators, and left the program a few years later to become HC at another place.

To me, someone from an actual coaching tree would be starting as a low assistant, or even graduate assistant, working yourself up all the way into being a coordinator or even the successor of the head coach himself. That takes like years.

Advertisement
Diaz not having a large coaching tree isn't that shocking. What is suprising is that despite Richt being a HC for around 2 decades, he only produced 4 HCs from his tree:

Mike Bobo
Neil Callaway
Brian VanGorder
Manny Diaz

3 flops and a Manny Diaz.

I don't know what that says about Richt other than he didn't seem to have a blueprint for success (at least not one that his assistants could follow).
Is Diaz even from the Richt tree? I’d say he comes from Mark Browns tree. You know.. his daddy’s.

Personally, I wouldnt consider that Sabans coaching tree. Its a bunch of guys who were hired, mostly as failed hwad coaches or coordinators, and left the program a few years later to become HC at another place.

To me, someone from an actual coaching tree would be starting as a low assistant, or even graduate assistant, working yourself up all the way into being a coordinator or even the successor of the head coach himself. That takes like years.

Exactly. it's more of a rehabilitation center

Advertisement
Back