Coaching Staff: (Who Miami Should Hire and Why)

MiamiCanes1992

Senior
Premium
I have been a longtime member of CanesInsight since 2012 and enjoy the site, but I have never gotten into posting as I have no inside information. I am a lifelong canes fan and figured since there has been so much talk of coaches, I would add my two cents to see what you guys think.

Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator - Butch Davis (No explanation needed) 😎

OC/RB - Eddie Gran (As a former coach at FSU, Gran was one of the key coaches in helping them land the number one recruiting class back in 2011. Gran was also a part of the Miami coaching staff in 1990-1991 and has been involved in the recruiting of South Florida players for over 20 years. From a coaching stand point, Gran has lead Cincinnati to 5th in total offense with 578 yards a game, 5th in passing offense with 387 yards a game, 17th in scoring offense with 37.6 pts a game, 43rd in rushing offense with 190.67 yards a game, 17th in 3rd down conversions with 45.97% and 4th in first downs.)

DC - Jim Leavitt (Another coach with recruiting ties in South Florida, Leavitt had immense success during his tenure at USF. Boasting a record of 95-57 (3-2 in bowl games), Leavitt had only 2 losing records as the Bulls head coach in 13 years! This is not only impressive because he won at USF, but Leavitt opened up the program as their first head coach and lead the Bulls from division I-AA to a contender in the big east during this short span. Leavitt also had the bulls ranked as high as number two (although short lived) and produced defensive players such as Jason Pierre-Paul, Mike Jenkins, George Selvie, etc. Jim Leavitt also spent the last four years as the linebackers coach of the San Francisco 49ers under Jim Harbaugh and is the current defensive coordinator for Colorado. Everyone deserves a second chance!)

QB/Co-OC - Ken Dorsey (It has been rumored that Butch Davis wants Dorsey on his staff. Although I believe the position Butch has in mind for Dorsey is OC, I believe Dorsey would be willing to come as a QB coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator to help him learn how to call plays under Eddie Gran. As a former Miami great and QB of the greatest college football team of all time, Ken Dorsey is a household name that holds plenty of value in South Florida. From a recruiting standpoint there has to be an advantage when a high school QB has Kenny Dorsey sitting in his living room, telling him to come be the next great at QB🙌. From a coaching stand point Dorsey spent 2011 as a pro scout for the Carolina Panthers, so he has spent time evaluating talent (although not much). During the 2011 off season, Dorsey was an IMG employee who trained Cam Newton, Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, and Randall Cobb. Dorsey later became the QB coach for the Panthers in 2013 and has coached Cam Newton since. The Panthers are 8-0 this season.)

RB - Eddie Gran (See Above)

WR - Kevin Beard (Although I believe there are much better options at this position, I decided to stick with Beard for two reasons. First, from a recruiting stand point it is obvious South Florida kids like him (Ex. Sam Bruce). Beard was also a former WR coach at the University School so he has some experience when it comes to dealing with these South Florida primadonna recruits. Second, from a coaching standpoint Beard has only been at Miami for one year and has shown some flashes of being a good coach. Let's face it, injuries have derailed Stacy Coley during his time at UM but you cannot deny he has looked his best since his Freshman year and has shown progress this season. As a former WR for the Canes, Beard also has experience playing the position and deserves another year or two to make a name for himself.

TE - Larry Scott (Scott has this team firing on all cylinders. Since he took over the team our special teams has improved, our offense seems to be doing good, our defense looks and feels more aggressive (although it still needs tremendous work), and our players are playing with a fire in their eyes we haven't seen in years (thanks Folden). Scott is also familiar with recruiting South Florida and has been recruiting the area since 2006, where he coached at USF under guess who (Jim Leavitt). Larry Scott also played football at USF as well under guess who again (Jim Leavitt). Since arriving at Miami in 2013 Larry Scott has produced talents such as Clive Walford and the new "Beast of the East" David Njoku.

OL - Jeff Stoutland (While a few poor souls may think this would be the perfect place to put Benedict Arnold, I don't want that man anywhere near my program. I don't care how good of a recruiter people think he is, recruiting to Bama is like coaching the 2001 team... Guaranteed success. Instead I have chosen coach Stoutland. Stoutland was one of the original coaches Alf kept on board who was any good. How do you know he was good? He ran the second he saw the **** show starting. Stoutland coached Bama's OL during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, where Bama went on to win back to back National Championships. Coach Stoutland also has an eye for talent. When he left for Bama, Stoutland was quoted saying, "Miami had one of the best OL groups in the country, maybe even better than Bama." That same OL group underperformed under Art Kehoe during their time at UM. But that did not stop them from dominating the NFL. One example, Seantrel Henderson a former number one player in the country ended up a seventh round pick in the 2014 NFL draft. He would later do as many Canes have done in the recent past and dominate the NFL. Seantrel started all 16 games at right tackle in his rookie season, over 2nd round draft pick Cyrus Kouandjio (Alabama). Henderson was a standout as a rookie as he led all NFL players in performance based pay. Stoutland has been the Eagles OL coach since 2013.)

DL - Ed Orgeron/Kevin Patrick (While I believe this is a stretch, Orgeron left Miami 23 years ago. As stated above I believe in second chances and if you are going to give only one, then Ed's the man that should get it. Ed Orgeron has been praised as a great recruiter, has coached the DL at Miami in the past while producing talent the likes of first-round draft choices Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland and Warren Sapp, and lead USC to a 6-2 record as the Interim Head Coach of a team whose season was falling apart back in 2013. Orgeron has also been a DL coach in the NFL, the Ole Miss Head Coach ($EC), and is currently the DL coach for LSU. Ed Orgeron has proven time and time again that he can flat out coach DL studs and recruit ballers at an elite level. DL also just happens to be an area that needs major improvement on this Miami team and I can't even imagine what Orgeron would do with the likes of Al-Quadin Muhammed, Chad Thomas, Kendrick Norton, Courtel Jenkins, Gerald Willis, and the list goes on. Kevin Patrick would be my second choice at DL coach if Ed Orgeron had zero chance of coming back to Miami.)

LB - Michael Barrow (Although I strongly considered giving this role to Jim Leavitt in addition to DC, Michael Barrow brings the kind of fire and intensity to the defensive staff that every team needs. Barrow spent seven years as the LB coach at UM from 2007-2013. It is obvious he loves his Alma Mater and would jump at the opportunity to rejoin the staff. Barrow has coached the likes of Sean Spence and Denzel Perryman, to name a few, during his time at Miami and seemed to be a good recruiter in South Florida. Michael Barrow is currently the LB coach for the Seattle Seahawks under head coach Pete Carroll.)

DB - Mike Rumph (The current head coach at American Heritage and former first round pick out of Miami is who I call the "reach" of the group. I consider Rumph a reach because he would be the only coach on this staff with no prior college/NFL coaching experience. Although that may be alarming to most, Rumph is set to accomplish something that has never been done before in South Florida history as a high school head football coach. Mike Rumph is on pace to win three straight state championships in Broward County. Rumph also brings with him the ability to recruit South Florida, as he has been around the area and the kids in the area for more than a decade now since his time at UM.)

Strength and Conditioning - Tommy Moffitt/Andreu Swasey (This may be the most important hire on this staff after Butch Davis. Tommy Moffitt has been the LSU strength coach for 15 years. That's right you guessed it, since 2001 and the start of our decline through the ranks of college football. Although I am one who believes Andreu Swasey should be retained as an assistant strength coach, I do not believe he should be the man in-charge. It is clear there is a difference between the Miami players and players from schools such as Alabama and LSU when you see them take field. This issue has to be addressed by the next coach no matter who it is. Moffitt is a stretch though as it is obvious he loves coaching at LSU, as well as his family loves LSU, but money talks and with what the Canes would save by hiring Butch we can afford to take out a little extra to convince Moffitt that Miami should be his home once again.)

Others - Jorge Baez and Kareem Brown should also be retained at their current positions on the staff.

Advertisement
It's almost as if no other coaches exist outside of ones that worked or played for Miami........

Thanks for the post. Some options may not be realistic (for reasons you outlined), but I think you're on the right track.

All star UM Coaching Staff.

Sound great, but does the collection of more experienced Coordinators and couple of position coaches mean that the we'd be forsaking the youth and up and comer aggressive movement to a movement more focused on winning right NOW? That is, rather setting and settling something up for the long run with the youth movement? Isn't Mike Rumph suspect insofar as loyalty is concerned as he hardly sent his ballers here, so wouldn't an Ed Reed be a better option for the DBs.?

Ok, shall we send that email to the BoT?

Sound great, but does the collection of more experienced Coordinators and couple of position coaches mean that the we'd be forsaking the youth and up and comer aggressive movement to a movement more focused on winning right NOW? That is, rather setting and settling something up for the long run with the youth movement? Isn't Mike Rumph suspect insofar as loyalty is concerned as he hardly sent his ballers here, so wouldn't an Ed Reed be a better option for the DBs.?

Yes, I came up with these coaches with the thought process that we need to WIN now. It has been stated here time and time again that this hire can make or break the program. I am also a strong supporter of Herman, when looking at coaches with no Miami ties. He would be my clear 1B, but this staff would have what it takes to start winning next season. Then focus on the youth coaching movement in 3-4 years when butch is getting ready to retire and we are a National Power once again.

Advertisement
truly a dream staff. from this post to reality please. one more run in my lifetime please

Thanks for the post. Some options may not be realistic (for reasons you outlined), but I think you're on the right track.

Money talks. I believe for the right price most of those assistant coaches will be willing to join someone like Butch Davis. Money plus living in South Florida. In addition, being part of a NC team under Butch Davis can do wonder to some assistants careers. You only have to look at the current careers of his assistants during his first tenure at Miami.

The thing is, Butch Davis maybe the only hire with whom Miami can afford to pay high salaries to assistants considering he will not demand the highest salary for himself.

Last edited:

Rumph said on QAM he would love to some day coach at Miami. He loves Miami. His problem was the fat guy with the tie.

Advertisement
That would be one **** of a staff. We could only wish, but at least we can do that now.

That is an all star staff with 3 (5, if you count Scott and Stoutland who were both interim HCs) guys who were head coaches at P5 schools.

I have been a longtime member of CanesInsight since 2012 and enjoy the site, but I have never gotten into posting as I have no inside information. I am a lifelong canes fan and figured since there has been so much talk of coaches, I would add my two cents to see what you guys think.

Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator - Butch Davis (No explanation needed)

OC/RB - Eddie Gran (As a former coach at FSU, Gran was one of the key coaches in helping them land the number one recruiting class back in 2011. Gran was also a part of the Miami coaching staff in 1990-1991 and has been involved in the recruiting of South Florida players for over 20 years. From a coaching stand point, Gran has lead Cincinnati to 5th in total offense with 578 yards a game, 5th in passing offense with 387 yards a game, 17th in scoring offense with 37.6 pts a game, 43rd in rushing offense with 190.67 yards a game, 17th in 3rd down conversions with 45.97% and 4th in first downs.)

DC - Jim Leavitt (Another coach with recruiting ties in South Florida, Leavitt had immense success during his tenure at USF. Boasting a record of 95-57 (3-2 in bowl games), Leavitt had only 2 losing records as the Bulls head coach in 13 years! This is not only impressive because he won at USF, but Leavitt opened up the program as their first head coach and lead the Bulls from division I-AA to a contender in the big east during this short span. Leavitt also had the bulls ranked as high as number two (although short lived) and produced defensive players such as Jason Pierre-Paul, Mike Jenkins, George Selvie, etc. Jim Leavitt also spent the last four years as the linebackers coach of the San Francisco 49ers under Jim Harbaugh and is the current defensive coordinator for Colorado. Everyone deserves a second chance!)

QB/Co-OC - Ken Dorsey (It has been rumored that Butch Davis wants Dorsey on his staff. Although I believe the position Butch has in mind for Dorsey is OC, I believe Dorsey would be willing to come as a QB coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator to help him learn how to call plays under Eddie Gran. As a former Miami great and QB of the greatest college football team of all time, Ken Dorsey is a household name that holds plenty of value in South Florida. From a recruiting standpoint there has to be an advantage when a high school QB has Kenny Dorsey sitting in his living room, telling him to come be the next great at QB. From a coaching stand point Dorsey spent 2011 as a pro scout for the Carolina Panthers, so he has spent time evaluating talent (although not much). During the 2011 off season, Dorsey was an IMG employee who trained Cam Newton, Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, and Randall Cobb. Dorsey later became the QB coach for the Panthers in 2013 and has coached Cam Newton since. The Panthers are 8-0 this season.)

RB - Eddie Gran (See Above)

WR - Kevin Beard (Although I believe there are much better options at this position, I decided to stick with Beard for two reasons. First, from a recruiting stand point it is obvious South Florida kids like him (Ex. Sam Bruce). Beard was also a former WR coach at the University School so he has some experience when it comes to dealing with these South Florida primadonna recruits. Second, from a coaching standpoint Beard has only been at Miami for one year and has shown some flashes of being a good coach. Let's face it, injuries have derailed Stacy Coley during his time at UM but you cannot deny he has looked his best since his Freshman year and has shown progress this season. As a former WR for the Canes, Beard also has experience playing the position and deserves another year or two to make a name for himself.

TE - Larry Scott (Scott has this team firing on all cylinders. Since he took over the team our special teams has improved, our offense seems to be doing good, our defense looks and feels more aggressive (although it still needs tremendous work), and our players are playing with a fire in their eyes we haven't seen in years (thanks Folden). Scott is also familiar with recruiting South Florida and has been recruiting the area since 2006, where he coached at USF under guess who (Jim Leavitt). Larry Scott also played football at USF as well under guess who again (Jim Leavitt). Since arriving at Miami in 2013 Larry Scott has produced talents such as Clive Walford and the new "Beast of the East" David Njoku.

OL - Jeff Stoutland (While a few poor souls may think this would be the perfect place to put Benedict Arnold, I don't want that man anywhere near my program. I don't care how good of a recruiter people think he is, recruiting to Bama is like coaching the 2001 team... Guaranteed success. Instead I have chosen coach Stoutland. Stoutland was one of the original coaches Alf kept on board who was any good. How do you know he was good? He ran the second he saw the **** show starting. Stoutland coached Bama's OL during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, where Bama went on to win back to back National Championships. Coach Stoutland also has an eye for talent. When he left for Bama, Stoutland was quoted saying, "Miami had one of the best OL groups in the country, maybe even better than Bama." That same OL group underperformed under Art Kehoe during their time at UM. But that did not stop them from dominating the NFL. One example, Seantrel Henderson a former number one player in the country ended up a seventh round pick in the 2014 NFL draft. He would later do as many Canes have done in the recent past and dominate the NFL. Seantrel started all 16 games at right tackle in his rookie season, over 2nd round draft pick Cyrus Kouandjio (Alabama). Henderson was a standout as a rookie as he led all NFL players in performance based pay. Stoutland has been the Eagles OL coach since 2013.)

DL - Ed Orgeron/Kevin Patrick (While I believe this is a stretch, Orgeron left Miami 23 years ago. As stated above I believe in second chances and if you are going to give only one, then Ed's the man that should get it. Ed Orgeron has been praised as a great recruiter, has coached the DL at Miami in the past while producing talent the likes of first-round draft choices Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland and Warren Sapp, and lead USC to a 6-2 record as the Interim Head Coach of a team whose season was falling apart back in 2013. Orgeron has also been a DL coach in the NFL, the Ole Miss Head Coach ($EC), and is currently the DL coach for LSU. Ed Orgeron has proven time and time again that he can flat out coach DL studs and recruit ballers at an elite level. DL also just happens to be an area that needs major improvement on this Miami team and I can't even imagine what Orgeron would do with the likes of Al-Quadin Muhammed, Chad Thomas, Kendrick Norton, Courtel Jenkins, Gerald Willis, and the list goes on. Kevin Patrick would be my second choice at DL coach if Ed Orgeron had zero chance of coming back to Miami.)

LB - Michael Barrow (Although I strongly considered giving this role to Jim Leavitt in addition to DC, Michael Barrow brings the kind of fire and intensity to the defensive staff that every team needs. Barrow spent seven years as the LB coach at UM from 2007-2013. It is obvious he loves his Alma Mater and would jump at the opportunity to rejoin the staff. Barrow has coached the likes of Sean Spence and Denzel Perryman, to name a few, during his time at Miami and seemed to be a good recruiter in South Florida. Michael Barrow is currently the LB coach for the Seattle Seahawks under head coach Pete Carroll.)

DB - Mike Rumph (The current head coach at American Heritage and former first round pick out of Miami is who I call the "reach" of the group. I consider Rumph a reach because he would be the only coach on this staff with no prior college/NFL coaching experience. Although that may be alarming to most, Rumph is set to accomplish something that has never been done before in South Florida history as a high school head football coach. Mike Rumph is on pace to win three straight state championships in Broward County. Rumph also brings with him the ability to recruit South Florida, as he has been around the area and the kids in the area for more than a decade now since his time at UM.)

Strength and Conditioning - Tommy Moffitt/Andreu Swasey (This may be the most important hire on this staff after Butch Davis. Tommy Moffitt has been the LSU strength coach for 15 years. That's right you guessed it, since 2001 and the start of our decline through the ranks of college football. Although I am one who believes Andreu Swasey should be retained as an assistant strength coach, I do not believe he should be the man in-charge. It is clear there is a difference between the Miami players and players from schools such as Alabama and LSU when you see them take field. This issue has to be addressed by the next coach no matter who it is. Moffitt is a stretch though as it is obvious he loves coaching at LSU, as well as his family loves LSU, but money talks and with what the Canes would save by hiring Butch we can afford to take out a little extra to convince Moffitt that Miami should be his home once again.)

Others - Jorge Baez and Kareem Brown should also be retained at their current positions on the staff.

Is your name Butch?

I don't like your oc, and db coach I'm iffy on Dorsey as well but he's an asset regardless so you can't go wrong there.

If swasey shouldnt be retained as strength coach why should he still be at UM? Just for heck of it and a change of scenery and fresh ideas there should be a change. He has been here for the decade of irrelevance and we need to get a fresh start.

Advertisement
If swasey shouldnt be retained as strength coach why should he still be at UM? Just for heck of it and a change of scenery and fresh ideas there should be a change. He has been here for the decade of irrelevance and we need to get a fresh start.

I don't think Swasey should be the head guy at the position, and honestly I wouldn't mind removing him from the staff all together. But all the players seem to like him and he was the former assistant Strength and Conditioning coach to Moffitt in 1998-2000 so if you can keep him in that role for cheap it's just a bonus. If he says no, then you part ways and take Moffitt. Nothing to lose by asking lol. Adidas just gave us a $100 million contract, what is an extra 200k a year and it could help convince Moffitt if the two liked working together before.

would love Eddie gran at OC. We should go all out to snag Pruitt as our DC. Uga doesn't want him & I think he would be better than schiano.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back