Coaching Carousel- Merged Coaching Musical Chairs Thread

Advertisement
It's weird to me that the coaching boards for these SEC teams that fire their coach are all the same. They all want Freeze, Venables, Tony Elliott, Napier, Sark, Kiffin, etc etc.

5 years ago they all wanted Smart, Muschamp, Kiffin, etc

Surprised no one has thrown a blank check at Pat Fitzgerald (I know he's not been willing to leave before but you'd think Auburn could change his mind) or Brian Harsin or even put their focus on someone in the NFL. Isn't it proven that Saban's former assistants are going to beat him and if they do it is going to be a one-off? He teaches them enough to go out on their own and run a good program but he's keeping the secret formula to himself - along with all of the bags that can't be beat.

It's weird to me that the coaching boards for these SEC teams that fire their coach are all the same. They all want Freeze, Venables, Tony Elliott, Napier, Sark, Kiffin, etc etc.

5 years ago they all wanted Smart, Muschamp, Kiffin, etc

Surprised no one has thrown a blank check at Pat Fitzgerald (I know he's not been willing to leave before but you'd think Auburn could change his mind) or Brian Harsin or even put their focus on someone in the NFL. Isn't it proven that Saban's former assistants are going to beat him and if they do it is going to be a one-off? He teaches them enough to go out on their own and run a good program but he's keeping the secret formula to himself - along with all of the bags that can't be beat.
Everyone wanted Saban’s hot shot coordinator. Problem is that doesn’t work unless you have Saban’s recruiting, analysts, coaching staff, etc.

Sark’s calls an amazing game, but a lot of people can look like geniuses when they have that OL, those WRs and Harris.

I think I saw Fitzgerald may get some NFL looks this off-season.

Everyone wanted Saban’s hot shot coordinator. Problem is that doesn’t work unless you have Saban’s recruiting, analysts, coaching staff, etc.

Sark’s calls an amazing game, but a lot of people can look like geniuses when they have that OL, those WRs and Harris.

I think I saw Fitzgerald may get some NFL looks this off-season.
Ya I saw that too. He seems like a good NFL fit but man he’s really been selling himself short at NW. He would run a powerhouse if he was at a school with more commitment. He’d probably take ND to the next level if they moved on from Kelly and he would go there (I have no idea if there’s anything that would make him take another job)

Advertisement
Malzahn had probably max'd out, but does anyone really think these guys are going to take them to the next level? I don't. I can't imagine paying that much money unless you've got a knockout on the way. I don't see a knockout, at all. I see a lot more 8-9 win seasons in Auburn's future.

As an Auburn grad it's just disappointing. Not surprising though. These jokers I tell ya...

Advertisement
Auburn is actually a low key shîtty job, just off the fact you’re in the West with an Immovable Object like Bama & have to deal with LSU, TAMU & Ole Miss.

It’s very good recruiting program, AU usually tends to get a good % of their top targets (unless Bama wants’em lol), but aside from the recruiting if you’re not an X’s & O’s genius that can catch Bama asleep as that wheel in the Iron Bowl every so often you’re screwed at AU for as long as Saban is there.

If their fans & boosters have the championship or bust expectation & actually expect for you to beat Bama annually, it’s not a good job for a Coach that has aspirations of doing something more than win 8/9 games a year & routinely finish 3rd or 4th in the West.

Makes perfect sense that Napier wouldn’t take that job, but I could fully see a Alabama lifer like Bill Clark taking that job in a heartbeat, he’s probably the 2nd best coach in the state & with increased resources is someone who will do really well with local Alabama & surrounding Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina etc area recruiting.

Clark is from Alabama, went to Jacksonville State (in Alabama), coached at multiple HS’s in Bama & has coached at an Alabama school for every single job he’s had in his career in High school & college, Auburn would be the perfect stepping stone for him to elevate himself within the region where he’s already considered one of the best coaches not named Saban.
Always enjoy your perspective. Everything you said is spot on. Thank man.

Advertisement
Sure if you would like
I didnt reply in any of it... its him and 6 other guys.
Screenshot_20201221-173629_Messages.jpg

Bring Gus in as an analyst to Manny and and Rhett. Saban does it all the time
Auburn has 2 high level recruiters on that staff in Kodi Burns & Wesley McGriff who I would take here in a heartbeat.

Kodi Burns is a WR’s coach, so obviously we wouldn’t go get him with Likens already on staff, but he’s another young Arkansas recruiter that Malzahn has brought up from the ranks, he worked with Lashlee at Ark St & early on during his AU stint as well, he can recruit his *** off.

McGriff would be a Home-run hire bringing him back to Miami, I doubt Diaz would even interview him, but he & T-Rob would lock down South FL DB recruiting something scary like we haven’t seen in decades.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back