Coaching Coaching Carousel 2023-2024 - Not Miami Related

Advertisement
Larry Coker was a slapdick.

This guy has skill as a position coach, can recruit, can design and call an offense, and beat OSU and Penn State.

But sure, same thing as Coker.
Letting 18-22 year olds choose your coach who has never been a hc is not a wise decision regardless

Coker was not a bad oc.

Letting 18-22 year olds choose your coach who has never been a hc is not a wise decision regardless

Coker was not a bad oc.

The “Coker-T” had long ran its course by 2002.

A one-eyed deaf Vietnamese slag could see that Berlin was 10x better in the gun running an offense with pace.

What he did to those 2001-2004 teams should be text book examples of crimes against humanity.

Sincerely Larry Coker

Except this dude has already coached, & apparently Harbaugh was preparing him for this. If I recall, Butch left under way different circumstances. He could be a Ryan Day vs. Coker, or a Chip Kelly vs. Coker, or a Dabo Swinney vs. Coker.

Got Dammit, how did we get the short end of the stick?? Lol

Advertisement
Except this dude has already coached, & apparently Harbaugh was preparing him for this. If I recall, Butch left under way different circumstances. He could be a Ryan Day vs. Coker, or a Chip Kelly vs. Coker, or a Dabo Swinney vs. Coker.

Got Dammit, how did we get the short end of the stick?? Lol
Yea ***** said he was staying. Then weeks later left. But to me your first p4 hc job (suspension coaching games aside) should not be at the national champions level. It’s risky even if he’s a stud coach

Yea ***** said he was staying. Then weeks later left. But to me your first p4 hc job (suspension coaching games aside) should not be at the national champions level. It’s risky even if he’s a stud coach

Yeah, it’s definitely risky. Also, it kinda sucks too.

Like Swinney had zero pressure, right? The guy he took over for was mediocre. Now Swinney has brought Clemson to heights it’s never seen, so if one of his assistants becomes HC, he’ll be held to that standard, where winning 9-11 games consistently won’t be good enough.

I mean look at Day; Day has, currently, the highest winning % of HCs, but he came after a Nat’l Title winning coach, so his 11-13 wins on the year don’t mean ish. I mean Columbus want this guy gone & he was just in the CFP Finals 3 yrs ago. Lol.

Coming after Harbaugh winning a Nat’l Title will put heat on him to succeed ASAP.

Also, wasn’t it a contract dispute that led to Butch leaving ala Jimmy Johnson-esq?

Like Swinney had zero pressure, right? The guy he took over for was mediocre. Now Swinney has brought Clemson to heights it’s never seen, so if one of his assistants becomes HC, he’ll be held to that standard, where winning 9-11 games consistently won’t be good enough.

I mean look at Day; Day has, currently, the highest winning % of HCs, but he came after a Nat’l Title winning coach, so his 11-13 wins on the year don’t mean ish. I mean Columbus want this guy gone & he was just in the CFP Finals 3 yrs ago. Lol.

Coming after Harbaugh winning a Nat’l Title will put heat on him to succeed ASAP.

Also, wasn’t it a contract dispute that led to Butch leaving ala Jimmy Johnson-esq?
I forgot tbh. @TheOriginalCane probably has it committed to a memoir

Advertisement

I mean...yes, there was a contractual issue, but that wasn't the sole reason for him leaving.

Butch had a legit offer from the Browns. And UM had a HISTORY of replacing top coaches with other top coaches, from Schnellenberger to JJ to Dennis to Butch. I'll never denigrate Butch's emotions on how he was treated, but I can at least PARTIALLY understand why Miami just assumed that every successful UM coach would move on to the professional ranks.

But, yes, the particular thing that rankled Butch was that Miami was offering a very low payout if they fired him. On one side of the analysis, I wish Butch had just said "**** it, I'm never going to need a payout, I'm going to win a 'ship". On the other side, he was only a couple of years past "flying the banner", and i could see why he might have a legitimate concern about being fired.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back