Coaching Carousel 2021-2022 - Not Miami Related (locked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Yes, if I remember correctly when South Carolina and Bama self-reported the same recruiting violation in roughly the same timeframe a few years back Bama got a written warning and Carolina was docked some level of contact and the two offending coaches from Carolina got some sort of penalty despite neither still being with the school.
Yes, but that’s a self-reported violation. The penalty was probably along the lines of fewer in-home visits during a given cycle.

I’m thinking of major violations, the kind that get a program on probation. Like Ole Miss and Freeze, USC and Carroll, Miami 20 years ago.

Yes, but that’s a self-reported violation. The penalty was probably along the lines of fewer in-home visits during a given cycle.

I’m thinking of major violations, the kind that get a program on probation. Like Ole Miss and Freeze, USC and Carroll, Miami 20 years ago.
That’s exactly what it was. In my mind, I can’t imagine that being the case for a minor infraction but not for something larger such as lack of institutional control, but of course this is the NCAA we’re talking about.

Did Les Miles catch any formal heat from the NCAA for the later discovery of previous offenses while at LSU? Or did he just get the boot from Kansas?

That’s exactly what it was. In my mind, I can’t imagine that being the case for a minor infraction but not for something larger such as lack of institutional control, but of course this is the NCAA we’re talking about.

Did Les Miles catch any formal heat from the NCAA for the later discovery of previous offenses while at LSU? Or did he just get the boot from Kansas?
Don’t remember. I assume Miles just got fired after the early sizzle worse off.

Jim Tressell had show-cause penalties for a few years, which could have penalized any program hiring him as HC.

I can’t think of a major infractions case where the coach bolted for another college job and his former program penalized soon thereafter. Usually serious cases result in firing, like Freeze. Or the coach bolted for the NFL, like Erickson and Carroll.

Advertisement
Can sanctions follow an administrator or coach? For example, if Dabo split for OU and Clemson was sanctioned, could this impact Dabo, and OU by association? Fired coaches can have show-cause penalties, but what if they’ve already taken another job?

HCs rarely get hit with a show cause penalty. Normally a position coach falls on their sword for them (they get rewarded a couple years later after the show cause is over). Rick Pitino broke about every rule in the book, banging hookers on restaurant tables with Adidas reps cheering him on while handing recruits bags of cash, and even he didn't get a show cause. So if the ncaa did go after Clemson, whoever their DB and TE coach would take the fall, while the school loses scholarships and gets a multi year bowl game ban. SEC would protect Dabo from punishment if he ran to Oklahoma. The funny thing about a show cause is that as the name implies, a school isn't actually banned from hiring a coach who has been hit with it, they can still go the ncaa and "show cause" for why they should be allowed to hire the individual without the school being punished. I imagine Oklahomas argument would be "because he will make the SEC and NCAA a lot of money" and the NCAA will grant the petition.

HCs rarely get hit with a show cause penalty. Normally a position coach falls on their sword for them (they get rewarded a couple years later after the show cause is over). Rick Pitino broke about every rule in the book, banging hookers on restaurant tables with Adidas reps cheering him on while handing recruits bags of cash, and even he didn't get a show cause. So if the ncaa did go after Clemson, whoever their DB and TE coach would take the fall, while the school loses scholarships and gets a multi year bowl game ban. SEC would protect Dabo from punishment if he ran to Oklahoma. The funny thing about a show cause is that as the name implies, a school isn't actually banned from hiring a coach who has been hit with it, they can still go the ncaa and "show cause" for why they should be allowed to hire the individual without the school being punished. I imagine Oklahomas argument would be "because he will make the SEC and NCAA a lot of money" and the NCAA will grant the petition.
Thanks for the information…..!!!!

Don’t remember. I assume Miles just got fired after the early sizzle worse off.

Jim Tressell had show-cause penalties for a few years, which could have penalized any program hiring him as HC.

I can’t think of a major infractions case where the coach bolted for another college job and his former program penalized soon thereafter. Usually serious cases result in firing, like Freeze. Or the coach bolted for the NFL, like Erickson and Carroll.
Same boat. ****, nothing formal ever happened to Florida despite a pretty well put together national expose. Certainly nothing ever was stuck on Meyer.

I remember a friend’s father talking about how greasy he was and the state of that program when I was in high school right before he “retired,” He was betting on big sanctions, never came.

Same boat. ****, nothing formal ever happened to Florida despite a pretty well put together national expose. Certainly nothing ever was stuck on Meyer.

I remember a friend’s father talking about how greasy he was and the state of that program when I was in high school right before he “retired,” He was betting on big sanctions, never came.
Those weren’t recruiting violation at UF, were they? I’m sure Meyer was dropping bags, but the issues I remember were players in trouble with the law, major to minor. Those aren’t NCAA violations unless maybe you could prove charges were being dropped at Meyer’s or the program’s request. And I’m not stating they weren’t. F-UF.

Advertisement
Those weren’t recruiting violation at UF, were they? I’m sure Meyer was dropping bags, but the issues I remember were players in trouble with the law, major to minor. Those aren’t NCAA violations unless maybe you could prove charges were being dropped at Meyer’s or the program’s request. And I’m not stating they weren’t. F-UF.
Correct again.

For Miami? He’s just WR’s coach.

Passing game coordinator is just a fancy title that gets added on for WR’s coaches sometimes, it just means they catalog the pass plays & assist the OC in which route combos had the most success vs certain looks etc..

PGC’s rarely if ever actually call plays.
Interesting. Good insight as usual. I did not know this.

Advertisement
“Just received a phone call from someone who is on the same sideline as an Oregon assistant who is out recruiting. That assistant said that the staff hasn't been informed either way, but he doesn't have a great feeling about Cristobal staying. Just wanted to pass that along”

Posted by Gaby 2 hours ago.

I’ll never forget it - and kind of regret it - but I was at the Minnesota game when Jerry Kill had his first on-field seizure. All of a sudden people started rushing around on the gophers sideline. Nobody in the crowd knew what was going on - my cousin (who is a big character) stands up and jokingly yells “It’s Jerry Kill!” And then he starts to yell “Kill Kill Kill” to which I joined in on. Pretty soon the whole stadium was yelling it after everyone figured out what had happened. Side note - PJ Fleck and Kill hate each other (publicly talking **** - and Gophers open up against New Mexico next season.

Coaches.png

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back