Coaching Carousel 2021-2022 - Not Miami Related (locked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers shed a lot of light on his nearly complete 2022 staff during a spot with ESPN Radio Syracuse on Monday. Going into his seventh season at the helm of the program, Babers now has nine of 10 assistants locked in for this year.

SU will bring back running backs coach Mike Lynch while Chris Achuff will move from linebackers to defensive line and defensive coordinator Tony White will add 'backers to his responsibilities, Babers said. An SU Athletics spokesperson then confirmed that safeties/nickelbacks coach Nick Monroe and cornerbacks coach Chip West are also back for 2022.

Babers said he just needs to add a wide receivers coach to round out his staff, though official titles have yet to be finalized. He previously announced that White and offensive line coach Mike Schmidt would return while the program has hired Robert Anae as offensive coordinator, Jason Beck as quarterbacks coach and Bob Ligashesky as special teams coordinator.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Some wild rumors and crazy dominos still have yet to fall in the next few weeks...

Latest rumors:

- Kelly is out at UCLA in a couple weeks (when his buyout becomes zero) and UCLA zeroes in on Lane
- Harbaugh > NFL has a lot of smoke
- Michigan might look at BOB or Campbell or Fickell

And, if BOB leaves bama, watch out for Brady maybe getting a look as OC there...

Some wild rumors and crazy dominos still have yet to fall in the next few weeks...

Latest rumors:

- Kelly is out at UCLA in a couple weeks (when his buyout becomes zero) and UCLA zeroes in on Lane

And, if BOB leaves bama, watch out for Brady maybe getting a look as OC there...

What I got out of this is Tom Brady to Bama.

Start the tweets.

Advertisement

Latest rumors:

There’s speculation Chip Kelly could end up leaving UCLA before the season starts.

In 2022, it will be the final year of his current contract & on Jan 16th, his 9million dollar buyout drops to 0 & he has it as a clause in his contract that he can leave once all the guaranteed money runs out. UCLA could also end up firing him & it wouldn’t cost them any money because after 1/16/22 they would’ve paid him the entirety of his contract.

Obviously, UCLA could just offer him an extension, but the problem is they’re really strapped for cash & are $40million in debt in the athletic department. Plus their new AD isn’t the coach who hired him to begin with.

They could still offer him an extension, but it would be a pretty cheap one & Kelly made $5.6mill this season, so they can’t really increase his pay to anything more than a little over $6-7mill tops & that’s cutting it pretty close as is.

Chip could stay for next season & then go get a job elsewhere, but he’d basically be coaching the 2022 season for free if he did. He’s already made plenty of money & he’s a different kinda coach to begin with so maybe that doesn’t mean much to him, but I doubt it.

My guess, they will work out a short extension for a few years with maybe a $1-2million dollar increase & it will be a heavy incentive laden contract. I think he sticks at UCLA for the 22 season & then goes to another Pac-12 team after the season.

I explained the Chip Kelly situation in detail earlier in the thread.

I explained the Chip Kelly situation in detail earlier in the thread.

I hadn't seen it - great writeup. The chip stuff has been speculated around for at least month. What interested me is the other dominoes that would fall (maybe Lane) and in a separate scenario (perhaps more interestingly) is what happens if Harbaugh goes to the pros. THAT is the more interesting domino.

Advertisement
I hadn't seen it - great writeup. The chip stuff has been speculated around for at least month. What interested me is the other dominoes that would fall (maybe Lane) and in a separate scenario (perhaps more interestingly) is what happens if Harbaugh goes to the pros. THAT is the more interesting domino.
If UCLA can’t afford Chip, they definitely can’t afford Lane lol.

Unless they just really don’t like Chip & are only acting like they’re broke just to get him out of town lol

I think Harbaugh will leverage the NFL for a new Michigan contract, the fact he made it to the playoffs the year after he restructured his deal & took less money means he’s got a ton of leverage when he goes back to the negotiating table.

He may leave UM if they’re not willing to give him a Lincoln Riley type deal & the Raiders or Bears are willing to give him a $100million dollar contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back