Coaching Carousel 2021-2022 - Not Miami Related (locked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I don't have an opinion on Jim Mastro one way or another, but I loved Travis Dye and CJ Verdell. They were very fun to watch the past few years.

He's got a long list of former 1000 yard rushers as a coach, too, some other guys I really liked watching (like Chance Kretschmer).
Nice pull on Chance Kretschmer. Injuries derailed him. Dude could play

Advertisement
Verdell and Dye will be NFL backs but other than them he doesn’t have much of an NFL footprint on guys coached. That’s a huge selling point in recruiting. Still a very good RB coach and that fact is more of a product of being at Nevada and Washington State and what you can actually do with those players you get at those schools.

On the other hand.. Bryan McClendon has a list a mile long of NFL RBs from Georgia. Maybe that will off-set a little bit
Which is why I'd prefer McClendon be brought in as the RB Coach - albeit I don't know if there's some weird hierarchy between RB / WR Coach - like WR Coach is a step up the ladder.

Which is why I'd prefer McClendon be brought in as the RB Coach - albeit I don't know if there's some weird hierarchy between RB / WR Coach - like WR Coach is a step up the ladder.
WR coaches do more. Larger position group, different positions in same said group, developing route trees. RB coaches don’t have nearly as much coaching per se. You can have a so so RB coach and be ok. A bad WR coach would hamper the team.

Advertisement

There’s speculation Chip Kelly could end up leaving UCLA before the season starts.

In 2022, it will be the final year of his current contract & on Jan 16th, his 9million dollar buyout drops to 0 & he has it as a clause in his contract that he can leave once all the guaranteed money runs out. UCLA could also end up firing him & it wouldn’t cost them any money because after 1/16/22 they would’ve paid him the entirety of his contract.

Obviously, UCLA could just offer him an extension, but the problem is they’re really strapped for cash & are $40million in debt in the athletic department. Plus their new AD isn’t the coach who hired him to begin with.

They could still offer him an extension, but it would be a pretty cheap one & Kelly made $5.6mill this season, so they can’t really increase his pay to anything more than a little over $6-7mill tops & that’s cutting it pretty close as is.

Chip could stay for next season & then go get a job elsewhere, but he’d basically be coaching the 2022 season for free if he did. He’s already made plenty of money & he’s a different kinda coach to begin with so maybe that doesn’t mean much to him, but I doubt it.

My guess, they will work out a short extension for a few years with maybe a $1-2million dollar increase & it will be a heavy incentive laden contract. I think he sticks at UCLA for the 22 season & then goes to another Pac-12 team after the season.

There’s speculation Chip Kelly could end up leaving UCLA before the season starts.

In 2022, it will be the final year of his current contract & on Jan 16th, his 9million dollar buyout drops to 0 & he has it as a clause in his contract that he can leave once all the guaranteed money runs out. UCLA could also end up firing him & it wouldn’t cost them any money because after 1/16/22 they would’ve paid him the entirety of his contract.

Obviously, UCLA could just offer him an extension, but the problem is they’re really strapped for cash & are $40million in debt in the athletic department. Plus their new AD isn’t the coach who hired him to begin with.

They could still offer him an extension, but it would be a pretty cheap one & Kelly made $5.6mill this season, so they can’t really increase his pay to anything more than a little over $6-7mill tops & that’s cutting it pretty close as is.

Chip could stay for next season & then go get a job elsewhere, but he’d basically be coaching the 2022 season for free if he did. He’s already made plenty of money & he’s a different kinda coach to begin with so maybe that doesn’t mean much to him, but I doubt it.

My guess, they will work out a short extension for a few years with maybe a $1-2million dollar increase & it will be a heavy incentive laden contract. I think he sticks at UCLA for the 22 season & then goes to another Pac-12 team after the season.

Mario's darkhorse OC candidate?

Advertisement

As unlikely as this seems, it lines up with many of the rumored circumstances currently in play (i.e., current HC interested in the OC role, no announcement until after NYD, etc.).

Makes for interesting board fodder but I do not see this happening. Arroyo is more likely, unfortunately.

Give me Briles over Arroyo all day long. Kelly would be an interesting move.

There is plenty of crossover and bleed across recruiting targets. The top recruiters on staff will be dispatched to recruit multiple positions, not just the one they coach. Don't sweat that. Bmac will be unleashed.

Advertisement
As unlikely as this seems, it lines up with many of the rumored circumstances currently in play (i.e., current HC interested in the OC role, no announcement until after NYD, etc.).

Makes for interesting board fodder but I do not see this happening. Arroyo is more likely, unfortunately.

Give me Briles over Arroyo all day long. Kelly would be an interesting move.
Dude, literally no one is reporting that Arroyo is a candidate

Dude, literally no one is reporting that Arroyo is a candidate
Calm down.

I am not saying he is a candidate. Nobody is saying he is a candidate. We are merely speculating on Ferman's post about a HC who purportedly contacted Mario for a position on the staff. LCE pointed out that if this was true (and that is an unlikely and large "if"), Arroyo would make the most sense given his history with Mario.

Sheesh. Reading comprehension is not a strength of many on this Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back