Coaching Candidates - Bargain Sleepers

With the debatable topic of whether Da U has the capacity to pay a top-notch coach, due it being a private school... Coupled with the fact that even if Folden is canned after a 7 - 5 year; with the buyout, I'm not convinced that this administration would be willing, to turn around and be locked into paying ANYONE $3Mil per yr, to get a coach that'll make a big splash.

So, let's name drop some guys that would know what to do with S Florida talent; Butch? Yeah I know...but who are some other proven coaches that we may be able nab right now for the low-low ($$), yet turn this program around.

I'll start it off with the car-salesman with swag in Terry Bowden! Right now, he's at Akron, with no talent at all, and has only assembled a record of 11-25 from 2012-2014. However, this is a guy that when he has talent, he's shown that he know what to do with it.

Record is as follows ->

Samford:
1st year in 1989: 4-7
1991: 12-2; 1992: 9-3
Overall tenure: 45-23-1
Turned program around, Considered a Hot coach at the time.

Auburn:
1st year in 1993: 11-0 (on probation due to previous staff)
1994: 9-1-1; 1995 & 1996 (post probation affects):8-4; 1997: 10-3; 1998 1-5
Overall tenure: 47-17-1
Did very well with a loaded team, and even with Scholarship reductions, until it really hit Auburn hard in 1998.

North Alabama:
1st year in 2009: 11-2
2010: 9-4 (3 of 4 combined loss total -7 Pts); 2011: 9-2
Overall tenure: 29-9
Did pretty well, may have made a mistake in leaving for Akron

What y'all think? Are there any other sleeper's out there that would do well with this roster? Mike Leach??

I think Norvell or Hudspeth and day over Terry Bowdown. The most intriguing name to me is Scott Frost. He does not have head coaching experience and it's a pipe dream but some program is going to get an excellent coach. That dude is a winner.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Chip Kelly after he wants to get out of the NFL after this season. It wouldnt be fair what he could do here. It was speculated he wanted to leave after last year. I don't think he likes the NFL and the type of attitudes he has to deal with.

Advertisement
Chip Kelly after he wants to get out of the NFL after this season. It wouldnt be fair what he could do here. It was speculated he wanted to leave after last year. I don't think he likes the NFL and the type of attitudes he has to deal with.

"Speculated" ... Or, wishful thinking?

Can we let the season play out? None of us will have any input on the hiring of the new coach if it comes to that. Why bother with these lists?

Yes we will.

A handful of us go see the President with a gas can in each hand, and our shirt pockets stuffed with road flares.

You'll be amazed at how you have their full attention.

You sound like the type that would enjoy prison.

you'd like to think Miami has learned their lesson that they need someone that has the personality to handle the spotlight after Coker, Shannon and Golden had zero previous experience in that area and it clearly showed. Not opposed to it but trying to be cheap and going after a hot coordinator could be an option our administration could take. If so, it would have to be an SEC coordinator that has felt the pressure there as a coordinator. Preferably, would like to see them go after someone with head coaching experience at a power 5 school just for the experience and spotlight factor. On top of that, you'd like someone with South Florida ties as it is it's own culture which was another thing Golden couldn't adapt to and refused to with his schemes. #BBB

So basically you want Charlie Strong? I like Fuente or Hudspeth, personally.

Advertisement
I'm liking what I see in Fuente, but he's only been at Memphis 2 years.

I'm not sold on Hudspeth. Since I'm an alum, I also follow Tulane, and a lot of people in Louisiana think he's hit his ceiling. He easily, year in and year out has the most talent in the Sun Belt, and ULL goes 9-4 every single year. A lot of that success comes from the fact that he's able to get guys who are borderline retarded and fail out of LSU, Auburn, and even Houston and other Texas schools, which you have try really hard to do. I'm not saying it's not impressive that he's won at ULL, since they sucked for 100 years (literally), but Ricky Bustle was able to win 6 games 4 times at ULL before Hudspeth got there, so it's not like he took them from 0-11 to 9-4, he took them from a 6-6 team to 9-4....and 5 years later, they're still 9-4. A lot of people are saying there is a reason he's still at ULL going into his 5th year.

One name out there is Willie Fritz at Georgia Southern. He is 55, but he was great at Sam Houston, and then led GSU to a 9-3 record in year 1 in FBS, and they went 8-0 in the Sun Belt and should have beaten Georgia Tech.

Heck, I think Texas fires Charlie Strong after this year, because them racist good ol boy boosters don't like him and his white wife. If that happens, I'd go all in on him.

How is a thread about "Bargain Sleepers" yielding names like Chip Kelly, Charlie Strong, and Gary Patterson? LOL

The premise of this thread is who would be a "cheap hire", who could turn out to be a "good hire".

How is a thread about "Bargain Sleepers" yielding names like Chip Kelly, Charlie Strong, and Gary Patterson? LOL

The premise of this thread is who would be a "cheap hire", who could turn out to be a "good hire".

Reading is fundamental my friend...and sadly, reading comprehension is the next step alot of people also never get into. SMH :monkey-serious:

Advertisement

Maybe some people don't want to go the cheap route?

I'm liking what I see in Fuente, but he's only been at Memphis 2 years.

I'm not sold on Hudspeth. Since I'm an alum, I also follow Tulane, and a lot of people in Louisiana think he's hit his ceiling. He easily, year in and year out has the most talent in the Sun Belt, and ULL goes 9-4 every single year. A lot of that success comes from the fact that he's able to get guys who are borderline retarded and fail out of LSU, Auburn, and even Houston and other Texas schools, which you have try really hard to do. I'm not saying it's not impressive that he's won at ULL, since they sucked for 100 years (literally), but Ricky Bustle was able to win 6 games 4 times at ULL before Hudspeth got there, so it's not like he took them from 0-11 to 9-4, he took them from a 6-6 team to 9-4....and 5 years later, they're still 9-4. A lot of people are saying there is a reason he's still at ULL going into his 5th year.

One name out there is Willie Fritz at Georgia Southern. He is 55, but he was great at Sam Houston, and then led GSU to a 9-3 record in year 1 in FBS, and they went 8-0 in the Sun Belt and should have beaten Georgia Tech.

Heck, I think Texas fires Charlie Strong after this year, because them racist good ol boy boosters don't like him and his white wife. If that happens, I'd go all in on him.

If Strong fails at Texas it won't be because of racists. And, I don't want any coach that fails at Texas.

In any case, I expect Texas will be much improved this year. I don't expect Strong to get fired.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back