Coaching Candidates - Bargain Sleepers

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
With the debatable topic of whether Da U has the capacity to pay a top-notch coach, due it being a private school... Coupled with the fact that even if Folden is canned after a 7 - 5 year; with the buyout, I'm not convinced that this administration would be willing, to turn around and be locked into paying ANYONE $3Mil per yr, to get a coach that'll make a big splash.

So, let's name drop some guys that would know what to do with S Florida talent; Butch? Yeah I know...but who are some other proven coaches that we may be able nab right now for the low-low ($$), yet turn this program around.

I'll start it off with the car-salesman with swag in Terry Bowden! Right now, he's at Akron, with no talent at all, and has only assembled a record of 11-25 from 2012-2014. However, this is a guy that when he has talent, he's shown that he know what to do with it.

Record is as follows ->

Samford:
1st year in 1989: 4-7
1991: 12-2; 1992: 9-3
Overall tenure: 45-23-1
Turned program around, Considered a Hot coach at the time.

Auburn:
1st year in 1993: 11-0 (on probation due to previous staff)
1994: 9-1-1; 1995 & 1996 (post probation affects):8-4; 1997: 10-3; 1998 1-5
Overall tenure: 47-17-1
Did very well with a loaded team, and even with Scholarship reductions, until it really hit Auburn hard in 1998.

North Alabama:
1st year in 2009: 11-2
2010: 9-4 (3 of 4 combined loss total -7 Pts); 2011: 9-2
Overall tenure: 29-9
Did pretty well, may have made a mistake in leaving for Akron

What y'all think? Are there any other sleeper's out there that would do well with this roster? Mike Leach??

Advertisement
Harvard is a private school and they have a 37+ billion dollar endowment. Seven of the ten riches schools are private. Miami is close to 1 billion. they have enough money to higher a high profile coach if they desired.

Harvard is a private school and they have a 37+ billion dollar endowment. Seven of the ten riches schools are private. Miami is close to 1 billion. they have enough money to higher a high profile coach if they desired.

"Riches" Just funny seeing your post talking about Harvard and private schools including that word.

I'm surprised Ice Harris isn't being touted by all you "loyal" Canes' "fans."
You could probably get him for 100K, room and board and a company car.

Butch would probably do it for 200K and just room and board.

Last edited:
Akron has been good in the MAC and if he isn't winning there, that's on him. No thank you.

Advertisement
Can we let the season play out? None of us will have any input on the hiring of the new coach if it comes to that. Why bother with these lists?

Endowments are typically earmarked for particular types of uses. Miami gets lots of money for research, etc. (more than some large public schools in fact), but that doesn't mean it's available for sports.

Jesus Christ....Terry Bowden? First, he'd be 60 by next year. Only over 60 coach I want is Butch. Second, he's not a great coach, hence why he's still at Akron. Third, he wasn't that great at Auburn, he won with Dye's players, and once his players were there, they started getting worse. North Alabama was better under Mark Hudspeth than they were under Bowden.

Last edited:
Advertisement
When golden gets fired the former players I think really need to make it their job to make sure they spend the money. We can't just leave this in the schools hands

Advertisement
If money is a concern, which I doubt will be the case, we still won't need to go to the MAC to find a candidate.

There are plenty of options in C-USA and the Sun Belt.

Can we let the season play out? None of us will have any input on the hiring of the new coach if it comes to that. Why bother with these lists?

Yes we will.

A handful of us go see the President with a gas can in each hand, and our shirt pockets stuffed with road flares.

You'll be amazed at how you have their full attention.

Advertisement
Yeah...I like your coach suggestion. Complaints without offering a solution, mark of a wise man!

Jesus Christ....Terry Bowden? First, he'd be 60 by next year. Only over 60 coach I want is Butch. Second, he's not a great coach, hence why he's still at Akron. Third, he wasn't that great at Auburn, he won with Dye's players, and once his players were there, they started getting worse. North Alabama was better under Mark Hudspeth than they were under Bowden.

you'd like to think Miami has learned their lesson that they need someone that has the personality to handle the spotlight after Coker, Shannon and Golden had zero previous experience in that area and it clearly showed. Not opposed to it but trying to be cheap and going after a hot coordinator could be an option our administration could take. If so, it would have to be an SEC coordinator that has felt the pressure there as a coordinator. Preferably, would like to see them go after someone with head coaching experience at a power 5 school just for the experience and spotlight factor. On top of that, you'd like someone with South Florida ties as it is it's own culture which was another thing Golden couldn't adapt to and refused to with his schemes. #BBB

Advertisement
Back