COACHING/ADMIN UPDATES MEGGGGAAAAAAATHREAD

Let’s not overthink this. Mario. I’d be ok with Stoops. Do not go G5.
I have never been a big Mario fan. He always does okay, but is that really good enough?

I'd be okay with Stoops also. As I said elsewhere, I'm warming up to Herman. Maybe also Clawson. For G5, I'd be willing to try Napier, or Bill Clark.

Advertisement
I have never been a big Mario fan. He always does okay, but is that really good enough?

I'd be okay with Stoops also. As I said elsewhere, I'm warming up to Herman. For G5, I'd be willing to try Napier, Bill Clark, or Clawson.
Isn't Clawson in P5?

There are no slurpers. They are an imaginary entity made up by dudes here who love to angry scream into the wind
8BB597CC-2B2A-4F96-932E-177EE3987B1E.gif

I'd be okay with Stoops also. As I said elsewhere, I'm warming up to Herman. For G5, I'd be willing to try Napier, Bill Clark, or Clawson.
As long as the rumors about Herman's personal life being out of control are just that - rumors - then I could see him working here, although, he wouldn't be my first pick.

Advertisement

I'd be okay with Stoops also. As I said elsewhere, I'm warming up to Herman. Maybe also Clawson. For G5, I'd be willing to try Napier, or Bill Clark.
More on Herman - again, if his personal life isn't a train wreck (which would end up effecting his job performance as HC) I would love for him to come here as the guy who whipped the Gaytors in a major bowl with Houston players. THAT coach was elite. I understand that the excuse is that UT's boosters and fans are toxic and make succeeding there nearly impossible, at least while he was there.

If that's valid and he's learned valuable lessons, etc., then he could be a steal and the 2 decade long answer we've been searching for at HC.

Question is - does that old Houston coach still exist or is he gone forever?

If I was gonna put money I'd say G5 or lower tier P5. I think they've been burned enough by the coordinators with no experience experiments that they're not gonna try that again but you never know.

But I don't know if that's the right approach. If you're saying it must be a P5 guy with head coach experience and a decent career record (in our price range) you're basically asking for Mack Brown or Bronco Mendenhall. I think I would take my chances again with a G5 up and comer if that was the choice.
Just think of all the up coming names that flamed out in recent years. I’m not willing to gamble on that again. You really can’t mess this hire up. The last coach with actual experience in a burned out Richt led us to our only 10 win season in years. I think they’ll open up the checkbook for Mario and who he wants to bring.

How about Clawson? Thoughts?
You know I’m not the expert for certain. I like what he’s doing at Wake but others with more knowledge have said the success is more recent and not necessarily a long-term track record at this level and also that he gets a different type of player at Wake. I still think he would do better than what we have now fwiw.

I like Freeze but I’m sure he’s got to be a no go. I think we’ll have a hard time getting a top tier established P5 coach and so it’ll be like LCE said - someone like Freeze or Herman who wants to re-establish or an up and comer from the G5 - Napier and that group.

I do think Mario is an exception for the ties he has if we’ll pay. I also think that a strong AD hire could change all of this and open up doors that might be closed right now.

While I want someone with successful G5 HC experience, I’d be intrigued by a successful NFL coordinator. Bienemy for instance.

Advertisement
You know I’m not the expert for certain. I like what he’s doing at Wake but others with more knowledge have said the success is more recent and not necessarily a long-term track record at this level and also that he gets a different type of player at Wake. I still think he would do better than what we have now fwiw.

I like Freeze but I’m sure he’s got to be a no go. I think we’ll have a hard time getting a top tier established P5 coach and so it’ll be like LCE said - someone like Freeze or Herman who wants to re-establish or an up and comer from the G5 - Napier and that group.

I do think Mario is an exception for the ties he has if we’ll pay. I also think that a strong AD hire could change all of this and open up doors that might be closed right now.

While I want someone with successful G5 HC experience, I’d be intrigued by a successful NFL coordinator. Bienemy for instance.
Appreciate the take!

If we’re going the route of someone that gets the most out of 3 stars, Stoops will be my only ok.

Herman is a definite no if rumors are to be believed.

Not willing to touch G5 after all of the recent failures by the hot names.

Overall, I think it takes a certain type of personality to have success here. But what do i know. I’m just a message board poster.

He would be interesting. Hasn't called plays before as an OC so would need to hit a HR hire for his OC. With how much he gets passed over for NFL jobs I could see him going to CFB if he really wants a HC job.

Advertisement
He would be interesting. Hasn't called plays before as an OC so would need to hit a HR hire for his OC. With how much he gets passed over for NFL jobs I could see him going to CFB if he really wants a HC job.
I meant P5 experience. I didn’t realize Bienemy hasn’t called plays. I’d much prefer a playcaller as HC so that we always have that to sell going forward.

I meant P5 experience. I didn’t realize Bienemy hasn’t called plays. I’d much prefer a playcaller as HC so that we always have that to sell going forward.

Well, Brian Flores might be available at the end of the season. Maybe he likes living in Miami. Players are starting to turn on him and if he loses to Urban Meyer and the Jags, he might be ready for that UM HC gig.

Well, Brian Flores might be available at the end of the season. Maybe he likes living in Miami. Players are starting to turn on him and if he loses to Urban Meyer and the Jags, he might be ready for that UM HC gig.
I don’t follow the NFL anymore. Why are players turning on him?

Advertisement
I don’t follow the NFL anymore. Why are players turning on him?

Eh, that was my interpretation from this. Maybe I'm reading too much into it

"A series of tweets from an account operated by Tua Tagovailoa’s trainer, Nick Hicks, brought to light issues about Flores’ coaching style that — for now — have only been discussed in private."

Seems odd that Tuas trainer would be popping off like this if he wasn't being a mouthpiece for Tua (Tua gets the message across but doesn't have to be the bad guy)

Eh, that was my interpretation from this. Maybe I'm reading too much into it

"A series of tweets from an account operated by Tua Tagovailoa’s trainer, Nick Hicks, brought to light issues about Flores’ coaching style that — for now — have only been discussed in private."

Seems odd that Tuas trainer would be popping off like this if he wasn't being a mouthpiece for Tua (Tua gets the message across but doesn't have to be the bad guy)

No secret Dolphins have been trying to get Deshawn Watson.

I know that he's Legendary Cane, but let's get Ed Reed.

This BOT wants to spend on the program like it's budgeting for a hooker at a Motel 6. Reed will probably be more affordable than Mariokart and most of the other games and, I suspect, will probably earn the instant respect of the players in ways that Mario would have to work at.

Plus, I suspect that Reed would know which Assistants to hire to make an immediate impact.

I only trust this BOT to spend as little money on the program as possible

Advertisement
Back