Coaches wasting players talents??

Advertisement
The announcer said the coach Brady hoke changed to prostyle offense and got away from spread offense I don't know I haven't watched Michigan back then that much.
That’s not entirely true. Bama almost killed shoelace in that opening his SR szn tryna run him. Michigan used a lot of spread but it truly wasn’t in his DNAas a coach so they didn’t run it as well as it could’ve been run with Rich Rod

Some people simply use crappy analogies to illustrate good points. Berlin was a pretty crappy one too considering we were one game away from playing for another national championship
The Berlin example is a great example of coaches not utilizing their players' strengths. It doesn't matter how many games away from the title we were, the ends don't justify the means. In our two losses that year, we scored a COMBINED 13 points, and had a handful of games where we couldn't even get to 24 points. That offense was horrible, and Coker being too afraid to change was a big part of that.

A good example is requiring Chilkillo to wake up with 4 hours to shovel food into his mouth to fatten him up to play a 3-4 DE.

Then he actually gets fit and tests at the combine as an OLB where he gets drafted at a position he literally never played.

A good example is requiring Chilkillo to wake up with 4 hours to shovel food into his mouth to fatten him up to play a 3-4 DE.

Then he actually gets fit and tests at the combine as an OLB where he gets drafted at a position he literally never played.

Golden and his fat bastaad Jersey buddy were such an aberration in CFB world they’re almost not worth mentioning they were such an outlier. They were a pox on this program and ruined careers like no other coaches before or since with their bizarre obsession with fielding a roster full Paranos specials. Chickillo was just the most glaring example.

Can you imagine that, going from a porky sized, almost NT sized 3-4 hand-in-dirt space eater in college to an outside linebacker in the NFL. Golden owes Chick at least a $4 million dollar bonus check.

Advertisement
Golden and his fat bastaad Jersey buddy were such an aberration in CFB world they’re almost not worth mentioning they were such an outlier. They were a pox on this program and ruined careers like no other coaches before or since with their bizarre obsession with fielding a roster full Paranos specials. Chickillo was just the most glaring example.

Can you imagine that, going from a porky sized, almost NT sized 3-4 hand-in-dirt space eater in college to an outside linebacker in the NFL. Golden owes Chick at least a $4 million dollar bonus check.
Fat jersey duo thought we were Wisconsin man. Waste of 5 years

I don't think we use our best combinations of DL, LB, CB or Safety combinations.

DL: Miller?Blissett
LB: Brooks and Flagg/Huff/TAC
DE: Phillips/Harvey/Roche/Williams
CB: Blades/Couch/Dunson
S: Bolden/Frierson (***** striker)/Hall or Balom

We've done it at Miami for years.

*recruiting spread QB's and forcing them to play under Center

*recruiting 4-3 defensive linemen and forcing them to gain 150lbs and learn how to 2-gap in 3-4 scheme. (Golden years)

One can make an argument that we're doing it right now with the CB position. Trying to recruit aggressive South Florida CB's and then putting them in a passive coverage scheme.

We all allowed opinions. Berlin wasn't the strength of our team and neither was the wr unit.
The Berlin example is a great example of coaches not utilizing their players' strengths. It doesn't matter how many games away from the title we were, the ends don't justify the means. In our two losses that year, we scored a COMBINED 13 points, and had a handful of games where we couldn't even get to 24 points. That offense was horrible, and Coker being too afraid to change was a big part of that.
The strength was running backs and the te position in particular if I remember correctly. Hence why we ran a pro set. We played ball a particular way that capitalized on the teams strengths. Not on a particular player. If it'll make any difference I'll certainly agree BERLIN himself would've certainly been better off in the gun. It would've hurt the team as a whole however. Regardless of how much he struggled against zone defenses.

Advertisement
We all allowed opinions. Berlin wasn't the strength of our team and neither was the wr unit.

The strength was running backs and the te position in particular if I remember correctly. Hence why we ran a pro set. We played ball a particular way that capitalized on the teams strengths. Not on a particular player. If it'll make any difference I'll certainly agree BERLIN himself would've certainly been better off in the gun. It would've hurt the team as a whole however. Regardless of how much he struggled against zone defenses.
By the end of Coker's tenure we couldn't run a spread even if we had wanted to. We started 2006 with six scholarship receivers, and we were down to three receivers by mid-season. He might have been better served to try to run a triple option like Navy and take advantage of all the running backs that he was able to recruit, versus the wide receivers that he failed to.

The strength of this year's team is the running backs and TEs, should we be running pro set?

Berlin thrived out of the gun, because it was all he knew. If Coker and the offensive staff had any brains, they put Berlin in the gun and with the weapons on that team, they could've done almost anything. Are you saying that KW2 can't run his routes and catch the ball because of where the QB lines up?

You're saying playing Berlin out of the gun would "hurt the team" but that doesn't make sense. The offense scored 6...SIX!! points...at HOME...vs Tennessee. I would say that hurt the team pretty badly. Are you saying it would've hurt the team MORE if Berlin were out of the gun all game? Would they have scored less than 6? Negative points?

The strength of this year's team is the running backs and TEs, should we be running pro set?

Berlin thrived out of the gun, because it was all he knew. If Coker and the offensive staff had any brains, they put Berlin in the gun and with the weapons on that team, they could've done almost anything. Are you saying that KW2 can't run his routes and catch the ball because of where the QB lines up?

You're saying playing Berlin out of the gun would "hurt the team" but that doesn't make sense. The offense scored 6...SIX!! points...at HOME...vs Tennessee. I would say that hurt the team pretty badly. Are you saying it would've hurt the team MORE if Berlin were out of the gun all game? Would they have scored less than 6? Negative points?
The strength of this year's team is rb and te & it's BIGGEST weakness by far is oline. That certainly wasn't the case that year. We scored like that because tennessee had a **** good front 7. They had an offense that dominated time of possession & we were one dimensional by that point. Yes it was all brock knew which was hammered on over and over. Does it help to run a spread when it would've limited the strengths of the squad. Yeah Kellen obviously could run all the routes cause Kellen WAS A WR. It was all he knew and what he came here as. He was also by far our best reciever. Not really sure how that tells you we should've been running a spread(which by the way also takes far more depth out of a unit,you run through numbers because it takes alot out of the wr and the rbs in particular.) Who would we have featured so successfully? Sinorice, nuke, who? If I remember right spider man was on that team too. Nuke didn't develop into a key piece till towards his jr year & honestly he might be not even been on that team. I don't bother to look stuff up. I just go off memory. People can say whatever they want about larry. Some of it is even accurate. If it pertains to delegating responsibility or making scapegoats out of people it would be 100% accurate. If it spins off into he was clueless on how to develop recruiting boards that would also be 100% accurate. However if it was he was out of touch with an offensive game plan than I dont particularly care what that person has to say because they don't know what they're speaking on and had no clue the depth of the issues starting to develop (100% BECAUSE OF HIM) calling an offense was never his issue

Advertisement
The strength of this year's team is rb and te & it's BIGGEST weakness by far is oline. That certainly wasn't the case that year. We scored like that because tennessee had a **** good front 7. They had an offense that dominated time of possession & we were one dimensional by that point. Yes it was all brock knew which was hammered on over and over. Does it help to run a spread when it would've limited the strengths of the squad. Yeah Kellen obviously could run all the routes cause Kellen WAS A WR. It was all he knew and what he came here as. He was also by far our best reciever. Not really sure how that tells you we should've been running a spread(which by the way also takes far more depth out of a unit,you run through numbers because it takes alot out of the wr and the rbs in particular.) Who would we have featured so successfully? Sinorice, nuke, who? If I remember right spider man was on that team too. Nuke didn't develop into a key piece till towards his jr year & honestly he might be not even been on that team. I don't bother to look stuff up. I just go off memory. People can say whatever they want about larry. Some of it is even accurate. If it pertains to delegating responsibility or making scapegoats out of people it would be 100% accurate. If it spins off into he was clueless on how to develop recruiting boards that would also be 100% accurate. However if it was he was out of touch with an offensive game plan than I dont particularly care what that person has to say because they don't know what they're speaking on and had no clue the depth of the issues starting to develop (100% BECAUSE OF HIM) calling an offense was never his issue

In 2003, we had Beard, Parrish, Moore, Moss, and Winslow. Brock got to cook in that 2nd half against the gators and made up for his horrible play in the first half (in the pro set). Just because you run a spread, doesn't mean it has to be uptempo. We had more than enough at WR to do some damage. You theorize that running Brock out of a gun might have hurt the team, but playing Brock in a pro set DID hurt the team: the offense scored 6 against UT, 7 against VT, scored only 1 TD and needed a miracle comeback at home vs WVU, etc etc.

The entire point of this thread was that bad coaches put square pegs in round holes and don't utilize their talent properly. Coker was a bad coach, and by not catering to his QBs strengths, he hurt the team. QB is the most important position on the field. If Berlin is your guy, you design the offense around him. If you are incapable of doing that because you only know how to do one thing (ie Coker) then you put someone else in who fits your mold. (which Coker tried by benching Brock v Cuse and the offense still looked like crap). You can stick up for Coker all you want, but he was a coach who was afraid, conservative and inflexible, which is the exact opposite of what we should be looking for.

In 2003, we had Beard, Parrish, Moore, Moss, and Winslow. Brock got to cook in that 2nd half against the gators and made up for his horrible play in the first half (in the pro set). Just because you run a spread, doesn't mean it has to be uptempo. We had more than enough at WR to do some damage. You theorize that running Brock out of a gun might have hurt the team, but playing Brock in a pro set DID hurt the team: the offense scored 6 against UT, 7 against VT, scored only 1 TD and needed a miracle comeback at home vs WVU, etc etc.

The entire point of this thread was that bad coaches put square pegs in round holes and don't utilize their talent properly. Coker was a bad coach, and by not catering to his QBs strengths, he hurt the team. QB is the most important position on the field. If Berlin is your guy, you design the offense around him. If you are incapable of doing that because you only know how to do one thing (ie Coker) then you put someone else in who fits your mold. (which Coker tried by benching Brock v Cuse and the offense still looked like crap). You can stick up for Coker all you want, but he was a coach who was afraid, conservative and inflexible, which is the exact opposite of what we should be looking for.
Has nothing to do with running uptempo. It has to do with putting more recievers on the field at the same time... You literally mentioned 4 recievers and two of them stayed hurt while the other two were basic. Personally I played defense cause I liked to hurt people. If I was a reciever who constantly ran routes every play and had no back ups to sub in that we're even close to capable of have an issue... So I get what ur saying. I also know after a life time of football, logistically speaking somethings can't be just that simple.

Has nothing to do with running uptempo. It has to do with putting more recievers on the field at the same time... You literally mentioned 4 recievers and two of them stayed hurt while the other two were basic. Personally I played defense cause I liked to hurt people. If I was a reciever who constantly ran routes every play and had no back ups to sub in that we're even close to capable of have an issue... So I get what ur saying. I also know after a life time of football, logistically speaking somethings can't be just that simple.
I hear ya, man. I'm not saying we should've gone crazy 5 wide, we could've still had Brock in the gun with 2 TEs, or 1 TE 3WR, similar with what Lashlee is doing with Brevin and Mallory. It was just frustrating to watch such a talented team squandered by coaching.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back